*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Why a Year and a Day?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

Why a Year and a Day?

Postby Foxface » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:20 pm

This will be a total newb question so I apologize in advance. Is the one year and a day a requirement for Wicca, more of a guideline for study or total bunk in your opinion? I mean what makes a Wiccan I guess is what I am getting at

currently I still consider myself a Pagan moving towards Wicca...so I thought I would ask

thanks
Foxface

Re: 1 year and a day

Postby Echo_of_shadows » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:51 am

Whether or not to follow the year and a day guideline varies in each situation. Generally, it's to make sure that you're ready. Really ready. "Is that your final answer?" kind of ready. It's a sort of fail safe to weed out the wanna-be types. It's mostly used by covens. To be in a coven is a commitment, and the High Priestess uses the year and a day to not only make sure that people are serious about the path, but to also to see if the seeker is a good match for the coven. Think of it as the courtship phase.
Solitary practitioners sort of do as they please. Some follow it by studying for the whole year and a day before attempting their first spells and rituals. Others just start whenever they feel ready.
There's no solid right or wrong here, just what feels right to each person. But the Universe does have a bit of a say. If you're not ready, your spells may flop. Take it as a learning experience by waiting a little longer and maybe reading another book or two. Then try again. Follow your heart. :fairy:
Echo_of_shadows
Ƴσʋ ∂σи'т αℓωαʏƨ κиσω ωнɛяɛ ʏσʋ ƨтαи∂ | 'Ƭιℓ ʏσʋ κиσω тнαт ʏσʋ ωσи'т яʋи αωαʏ -Ƨℓιρκиσт
Echo_of_shadows

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft