*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Wiccan view

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.

Wiccan view

Postby Rainbowkiss » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:04 pm

What's your take on other religions?
Rainbowkiss

Re: Wiccan view

Postby Xiao Rong » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:58 pm

That's a really big question ... mind narrowing it down a bit? Were there specific religions you had in mind, or ... ?
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SnowCat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 pm

In general, I would say other religions have pros and cons.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby Rainbowkiss » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Xiao Rong wrote:That's a really big question ... mind narrowing it down a bit? Were there specific religions you had in mind, or ... ?
Okay I mean like Buddhism or Christianity, do you find them helpful or harmful?
Rainbowkiss

Postby Xiao Rong » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Sort of depends ... still a really big question. No religion is without its problems. Undoubtedly many Wiccans and Pagans are familiar with being discriminated against by Christians, both historically and in the present. But people also draw a lot of inspiration from both Buddhism and Christianity, even if they don't necessarily identify as adherents of either religion ... Some Pagans identify as Christo-Pagans or Christian Wiccans, seeing the Goddess in the Virgin Mary or adopting Jesus as one of their patron deities among many other deities. I also think it's safe to say a lot of Buddhist concepts and Eastern philosophy in general has strongly influenced Paganism.

I know that was really vague, but that's sort of as much as I can say without knowing more specifically what you mean by "helpful" or "harmful" ...
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rainbowkiss » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Xiao Rong wrote:Sort of depends ... still a really big question. No religion is without its problems. Undoubtedly many Wiccans and Pagans are familiar with being discriminated against by Christians, both historically and in the present. But people also draw a lot of inspiration from both Buddhism and Christianity, even if they don't necessarily identify as adherents of either religion ... Some Pagans identify as Christo-Pagans or Christian Wiccans, seeing the Goddess in the Virgin Mary or adopting Jesus as one of their patron deities among many other deities. I also think it's safe to say a lot of Buddhist concepts and Eastern philosophy in general has strongly influenced Paganism.

I know that was really vague, but that's sort of as much as I can say without knowing more specifically what you mean by "helpful" or "harmful" ...
thank you for your opinion, when I say helpful or harmful I mean: Does it bring peace or fear?
Rainbowkiss

Postby Heartsong » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:42 pm

I think it depends on the individual. For many years, I found comfort and peace in Christianity, especially when I studied on my own. Obviously that didn't last, because the deeper I delved, the more holes I found in much of what had been taught and conveyed to me. However, I've seen many people rely on the Christian faith and pull through extremely difficult situations. The same can be said, I think, for any religion. I also agree with Xiao, in that Buddhism and other Eastern religions has had a noticeable impact on how many Pagans view their own religion (some of the theories on reincarnation, for example).

Of course, the opposite can also be said. Personally, I still struggle with guilt and fear on my path, even though I truly feel that being a Pagan is right for me. I was raised in a Southern Baptist environment, and fear plays a huge part in many sermons and services. A duality was often discussed in the church I attended, and many arguments erupted over just how much we should love or fear God. My mother frequently used to say that if her toes weren't being stepped on in church, then it wasn't doing her much good to go. Part of the Christian faith is working towards becoming like Christ, and because we're human, there will always be a need to strive towards that rather impossible goal.

And truth be told, I never saw much striving from my fellow church goers. But, it has shaped my views, I think, even as my feet turned onto a different path altogether. Fear, in small doses, can be helpful, because it keeps you from leaping into potentially harmful situations, and fear of failure or disappointment can propel you closer to a desire or accomplishment. I think this is the intention of the fear some preachers attempt to create in their flock, although more often than not, it backfires, or fails to sink in. And in that aspect, I believe that some of the fear instilled in me through my experiences as a Christian was actually helpful to me, and has made me determined to learn how to move past it. It keeps me going forward, and working towards what I want in my life.

As SnowCat aptly pointed out, all religions have their pros and cons. How one perceives the two is relative, I think.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Xiao Rong » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Like Snowcat and Heartsong have both said, it kind of depends on the person and the individual. Some people might find the idea of Heaven and Hell to bring them peace, to others it might be a very scary notion.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Klia » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:24 pm

I was raised Christian and made to go to church every Sunday until I was in my late teens. I found many holes in Christianity and questioned the bible constantly. Plus, I saw hate in the bible, hate from the God. Now I know this is controversial, but it's how I feel. I know life isn't perfect and happy all the time, but some evil doing could have been prevented - even God did some terrible things for people to learn lessons. But, a lot of other religions preach optimism, serenity, clarity, and balance. I don't find there to be much balance in Christianity. It's a dogma, a religion that has overpowered many religions before and after it had been founded. I never found my relationship with that God, ever. I know there is a higher being(s), but it wasn't him. If I could never feel connected, why stick with it?

^^ And I agree. "God loves you so much he made a place called hell just in case you don't love him." That was a meme I saw on the internet and it's kind of true. We shouldn't fear hell. Heaven shouldn't be guaranteed, but does that mean only Christians survive at the end of the world? Or only the 'worthy' ones? Just rhetorical questions.
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."
Klia

Postby Rainbowkiss » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:18 am

Dear brothers and sisters who want to know about hell,heaven,and salvation ect please please go here http://WWW.near-death.com you'll be very pleased that you decided to go. This is my gift to you, from love, please accept it. :) This site changed my views of death,god ect.
Rainbowkiss

Postby Rainbowkiss » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 am

Klia wrote:I was raised Christian and made to go to church every Sunday until I was in my late teens. I found many holes in Christianity and questioned the bible constantly. Plus, I saw hate in the bible, hate from the God. Now I know this is controversial, but it's how I feel. I know life isn't perfect and happy all the time, but some evil doing could have been prevented - even God did some terrible things for people to learn lessons. But, a lot of other religions preach optimism, serenity, clarity, and balance. I don't find there to be much balance in Christianity. It's a dogma, a religion that has overpowered many religions before and after it had been founded. I never found my relationship with that God, ever. I know there is a higher being(s), but it wasn't him. If I could never feel connected, why stick with it?

^^ And I agree. "God loves you so much he made a place called hell just in case you don't love him." That was a meme I saw on the internet and it's kind of true. We shouldn't fear hell. Heaven shouldn't be guaranteed, but does that mean only Christians survive at the end of the world? Or only the 'worthy' ones? Just rhetorical questions.
I learned spiritually that hell is self-created and a spiritual condition not a place. The bible affirms universal salvation. The bible is indeed imperfect, you'll learn from near.death.com. Please send me a private message on what you learned, blessed be :fairy:
Rainbowkiss

Postby firebirdflys » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Rainbowkiss...we frown on folks who suggest people go to another websight, then troll for Pm's in reference to that.
FF
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby Rainbowkiss » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:06 pm

firebirdflys wrote:Rainbowkiss...we frown on folks who suggest people go to another websight, then troll for Pm's in reference to that.
FF

Oh I'm sorry I just wanted to help, this is not an act of sabotage but good will. Near-death.com is a helpful website, just thought I spread the word.
Rainbowkiss

Postby Rainbowkiss » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Rainbowkiss wrote:
firebirdflys wrote:Rainbowkiss...we frown on folks who suggest people go to another websight, then troll for Pm's in reference to that.
FF

Oh I'm sorry I just wanted to help, this is not an act of sabotage but good will. Near-death.com is a helpful website, just thought I'd spread the word. I'm not trolling cause that goes against goodness and the wiccan Rede. I owe you a sinscere

apology if I offended you.
Rainbowkiss

Postby firebirdflys » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Not offended. Just pointing out is looks very trollish.
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Next

Return to Gods/Goddesses