*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Wiccan Art Ideas

Share photos or links to your arts and crafts here. Jewelry, paintings, crafts, graphic art.

Wiccan Art Ideas

Postby Quetecsaurus » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Hello,
This is my first post here. I came in wondering what form of art to make for a friend who is really into Wicca. It is to be a gift, as I have sculpted various animals in the past, I thought I could do something nice with my art. The only thing it has to be is four inches or less across the longest dimension. My problem so far is knowing what to sculpt. Does anyone know of Wiccan sculpture to inspire mine? If someone could put me in the right direction it would be well-appreciated. I hope to post pictures here when it's finished.
Quetecsaurus

Re: Wiccan Art Ideas

Postby Echo_of_shadows » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Does you friend practice rune divination? If so, you could sculpt your friend a set of runes. I think a set of tools for a small, portable altar would be nice. Do you how your friend connects to the Divine? You could make a small figurine of a specific deity, or a goddess or god figure in general. Sacred Source has some nice figurines that could give you ideas.
Echo_of_shadows
Ƴσʋ ∂σи'т αℓωαʏƨ κиσω ωнɛяɛ ʏσʋ ƨтαи∂ | 'Ƭιℓ ʏσʋ κиσω тнαт ʏσʋ ωσи'т яʋи αωαʏ -Ƨℓιρκиσт
Echo_of_shadows

Postby Quetecsaurus » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:52 am

Echo_of_shadows wrote:Does you friend practice rune divination? If so, you could sculpt your friend a set of runes. I think a set of tools for a small, portable altar would be nice. Do you how your friend connects to the Divine? You could make a small figurine of a specific deity, or a goddess or god figure in general. Sacred Source has some nice figurines that could give you ideas.

Thank you for the information, Echo of Shadows. Runes would be nice to do, maybe they won't be the entire gift, and I will add something else, but it looks like something she could already have. Do you think something closer to this might work?
http://www.sacredsource.com/Triple-Godd ... IGbxzHF_6c
Obviously, I'm not going to copy it, but I can draw inspiration from it and similar pieces.
Quetecsaurus

Postby Echo_of_shadows » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:02 am

I think the triple goddess statue is a lovely idea. :) I've seen so many photos of altars with a statue of a single god and a single goddess, that I find the Triple Goddess to be underutilized. Your friend is lucky to have a friend as thoughtful as you. :)
Echo_of_shadows
Ƴσʋ ∂σи'т αℓωαʏƨ κиσω ωнɛяɛ ʏσʋ ƨтαи∂ | 'Ƭιℓ ʏσʋ κиσω тнαт ʏσʋ ωσи'т яʋи αωαʏ -Ƨℓιρκиσт
Echo_of_shadows

Postby Quetecsaurus » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:37 am

Great to see its a good idea. Now I just have to find a way to ask her about which goddesses she likes without it being obvious. Are there any guides to Wiccan goddesses or anything on the internet?
Quetecsaurus

Postby Queen of the Dead » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:50 am

I would actually suggest sculpting a pentacle or a spiral goddess! It's much easier than having to worry about which goddesses your friend likes. Also, some people don't exactly like the Triple Goddess, so it might be less offensive. c:
Happiness is hiding so you can appreciate it more when you find it. Keep looking.

Lana || Pansexual || Witch of Persephone and Hades || Eclectic Pantheist

Can't wait for Yule!
Queen of the Dead

Postby Siona » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Quetecsaurus wrote:Great to see its a good idea. Now I just have to find a way to ask her about which goddesses she likes without it being obvious. Are there any guides to Wiccan goddesses or anything on the internet?

A lot of Wiccans simply worship "The Goddess," but if your friend is interested in a particular goddess it may be any one of thousands, so it would be hard to find out without asking. That said, you could always just frame it in a discussion about spirituality in general. Ask a little bit about her holidays, maybe how she came to be a Wiccan if you don't already know, and ask her views on deity somewhere in there. Not quite as obvious as just asking what gods she worships, and it might be an interesting discussion overall. :)
I sing of you, blessed, night-winged Dream, Messenger of things to come, greatest prophet to mortals, in the quiet of sweet sleep you come silently and speak to the soul.
Siona

Postby Quetecsaurus » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Siona wrote:A lot of Wiccans simply worship "The Goddess,"

I'm not the most familiar with Wiccan deities, so thanks for the clarification.

Queen of the Dead wrote:I would actually suggest sculpting a pentacle or a spiral goddess! It's much easier than having to worry about which goddesses your friend likes. Also, some people don't exactly like the Triple Goddess, so it might be less offensive. c:

Thanks for the tip. I like the design of the Spiral Goddess, I'll do some research. I'm not doing the pentacle as I am going to incorporate it into a carved wooden box to place the sculpture in. While I'm thinking of it, is there any particular colored wood best for Wiccan items? I was thinking cherry. You're right about the Triple Goddess, its best to play it safe.
Quetecsaurus

Postby Queen of the Dead » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Willow is nice wood for healing, Cherry is good for hunting, Pine is good for prosperity, and Ash is good for wisdom, if that helps any. c:
Happiness is hiding so you can appreciate it more when you find it. Keep looking.

Can't wait for Yule!
Queen of the Dead

Postby Quetecsaurus » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Queen of the Dead wrote:Willow is nice wood for healing, Cherry is good for hunting, Pine is good for prosperity, and Ash is good for wisdom, if that helps any. c:

Thank you, Queen of the Dead. I'll take that into consideration. Pine wood work best, I suppose, or ash. I might post some drawings by the end of the week.

I see spiral goddesses with both spirals and trees on them. Are they mutually exclusive or opposite sides of the same figure? I like the fact that they are pretty common or universal to Wiccan art (If this is true?) and date back to the paleolithic. Is there also a preferred color? I see mostly white and charcoal-colored ones? I was thinking of making mine a gray color with a weathered look.
Quetecsaurus

Postby Queen of the Dead » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:10 am

That sounds beautiful! The tree and spiral are usually individual, but if you made a tree on the other side of the spiral, I don't think it would be like an offense or anything. Wicca isn't an ancient religion (as it was "founded" in the 1950's by Gerald Gardner) but the symbol is thought to be quite a bit older.

Can't wait for Yule!
Queen of the Dead

Postby Quetecsaurus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:32 pm

After some discussion I had discovered that a more appropriate sculpture to my friend's current interest would not be Wiccan. Earlier this week, I gave her a lined seahorse Hippocampus erectus instead. Here are the pictures.
I gave it to her for her birthday and she was very happy. I used bloodstone and amethyst on the base, birthstones for MArch and Pisces.
Thanks for giving the advice you did, even though I wasn't able to use it. If I have any other reasons to discuss a Wiccan topic I will surely return here.
Quetecsaurus

Postby Vesca » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Well hey, welcome back to the fold! :)
Vesca

Postby Kassandra » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:58 pm

Wow. Thanks for following up with this thread and posting a pic of the finished product. I love the stones embedded in the base, and the entire work is wonderful. Just, wow.

You know, if you'd like, you could have a thread in this forum as a gallery of sorts for your work. I, for one, would love to see more of it. But if it's served your purpose to merely get feedback on this matter, that's fine too. Just a thought, though, I wanted to throw out there.

Anyway, I did have a question... is this a kiln-fired piece? And if so, do you have your own kiln? We used to have an artist's co-op where people could rent time to fire their pieces, but I think it closed down.

Thanks.

:fairy: bling ~ Have a magical day, now ~

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Quetecsaurus » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks!

Kassandra wrote:.

You know, if you'd like, you could have a thread in this forum as a gallery of sorts for your work. I, for one, would love to see more of it.

Thank you for the suggestion. If you want to see more of my work, open the images in a new tab and it should link to my photobucket account.

Or just click here: http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/pachy ... t=3&page=1

Not everything is 100% mine. I collect models and figurines so the toyish-looking ones I didn't make. There are some others, like the tupuxuara and allosaurus which I bought but the paintwork is mine, but most, like the cane, are made completely from scratch.

Kassandra wrote:.
Anyway, I did have a question... is this a kiln-fired piece?

No, I usually work in polymer clay. There's nowhere around here I know of where I can have anything kiln-fired.
Quetecsaurus

Next

Return to Artwork