*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Which tarot deck do you like?

For discussion and questions about the tarot.

Which tarot deck do you like?

Postby AutumnSilvermoon » Fri May 31, 2013 9:07 pm

I am ashamed to say that my deck of tarot cards faced a watery death when we had a leaky roof last year. And I haven't quite decided which deck I want to replace them with, since they were beginner cards I've had for YEARS. So, my question for those that do deal with tarot cards, which deck is your favorite? :evilwitch:
“Never put your faith in a Prince. When you require a miracle, trust in a Witch.”
― Catherynne M. Valente, In the Night Garden
AutumnSilvermoon

Re: Which tarot deck do you like?

Postby firebirdflys » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:10 am

I am somewhat of a tarot deck collector so to choose a favorite is kinda hard, however my most traveled deck is the Mary Hansen-Roberts deck...the images are great and it is easy to handle because it it the size of regular playing cards.
here is an image of the
Queen of wands from that deck: >>>>>>>the magician:>>>>>>>>the ace of pentacles
ImageImageImage

I also use the Ryder/Waite deck that has been color enhanced ( I have the original version too) this one I use for readings for other people, and it was the one I learned on.
>>>the Radiant version:>>>>>The color enhanced version:>>>>>the original version>>>
ImageImageImage

probably my favorite for images is the Robin Wood Tarot, (unfortunately the quality of the deck could be better) I like it because its characters are clothed in Ren-Faire like apparel, :fairy:

another classic deck is the Morgan/Greer (of all the decks I have... this one has eluded my collection...it's next!)
ImageImage
These are the ones I would recommend for someone just learning the tarot, or just to keep some basic decks...there are soooooooo many to choose from!!

I also like animal oracle decks, here is 3 of my favorites....
the Beasts of Albion, by Miranda Gray/
the Druid Animal Oracle, by Phillip & Spephanie Carr-Gomm/
Medicine Cards, by Jamie Sams
ImageImageImage

thanks for asking :flyingwitch: Firebird
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby scaravich » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:36 pm

A lot of people like to have a lot of decks, especially if they perform divination for others, so that the seeker may have a choice. And even alone, people like to have multiples for different moods, purposes, feelings, etc.

I have a few but the one I like to keep on me is The Witches Tarot. The one by Reed & Cannon. There are a few by that name I guess. I use that one the most for personal use.
scaravich

Postby -Dark-Moon- » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:17 pm

I have many decks, but i seem to use these the most

Rider Waite - most classic imagery - give you practical, grounded readings

Others I use
Mythic tarot
Witches tarot - has a unique energy

Oracle cards I use depending on need -
Isis cards (Elizabeth Jensen) - my favorite right now
Crystal ally cards - great for spiritually focused readings and learning more about crystal energies
Ascended masters - my favorite for 1 card readings
Gaia oracle cards

Osho zen cards are also interesting
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
-Dark-Moon-

Postby MsMollimizz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:26 pm

I don't mind the Rider Waite deck, I have two, the original and another
(given to me without a box) so I'm not sure.
I like the energy of the Halloween tarot; I have book and card set and
the deck in a tin for travel.
BUT My absolute favorite is the Soul Cards 1 & 2 They don't have set
meanings but I hear them quite loudly...
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Red Light
MsMolli
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
MsMollimizz

Postby Sonkido » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:45 am

I'm a sucker for Rider Waite Smith, but mainly because I'm most used to it and I understand it best. At the moment I have 2 versions of RWS and I plan to buy a pocket version to carry around at all times. I also have a Vanessa Tarot which is really cute, but a little difficult for me to read from. I also plan to get myself the invisible Tarot and the Tarot if the New Vision.
I've recently started learning to read Oracle cards, I have the Success Cards deck which is pretty interesting and leaning towards Zen and I like to use the Power animals one.
Still, in the end I go back to my old RWS (my first deck and the one that's most brutally honest with me).
Dean: Well, I got to ask. How old are you?
Death: As old as God. Maybe older. Neither of us can remember anymore. Life, death, chicken, egg. Regardless - at the end, I'll reap him, too.
Sonkido

Postby miachrhys » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:31 am

I have The Shapeshifter Tarot and have found that it resonates with me, making my readings extremely accurate. I think any more than 10 cards and the readings become a little confusing, but for smaller spreads this would be great. It is very shamanistic and Celtic which both interest me.

I've also had luck with crystal-guidance.com's oracle cards.
miachrhys

Postby -Dark-Moon- » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:25 am

I also like the Cosmic Tarot deck. The illustrations are an interesting interpretation which gives another flavour to readings

I used to use the Thoth deck (Crowley) but found the illustrations to be too chaotic and dark, so I gave that deck away. I now wish I hadn't, as I'd love to revisit the deck now to see if I am able to interpret it any better.

I often give decks away if they don't work for me very well. Some people are very natural readers and require little instruction in tarot. They have an affinity for the symbols quite natural. I find it hard to resist not giving them divination tools to use.
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
-Dark-Moon-

Postby North Star » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:48 pm

The Goddess Deck is my favorite. Gave away my Rider Waite deck years ago, cant remember the other one I gave away. Neither worked well for me.

I have an interest in the Witches Tarot lately. I feel a strong connection to that deck similar to my Goddess cards. I just havent explored very far with them.

I want to try the Celestial Tarot or Tarot of the Moon Garden, one of those will be my next adventure. :)
"She's mad, but she's magic." -Charles Bukowski

"No snowflake ever fell in the wrong place."
North Star

Postby MistressOfTheMoon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:00 am

Interesting to see that different decks work for us! As for me, I have an Esoteric deck.

It isn't the loveliest but it's the only deck I can intuitively read :D I've owned French and Spanish decks before but they never worked for me.
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
MistressOfTheMoon

Postby Jade Rose » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Ooh thanks for bringing up this topic again!

I'm currently on a deck buying spree lmao. There aren't many that I like (five only). They're Shadowscapes, Paulina, Joie de Vivre, Steampunk, and a beautiful self published deck called The Tyldwick.

What spread is that, lilgeekess?

I remember I've seen it somewhere, I think it has something to do with relationships or a couple if I'm not mistaken. Worst part is I don't remember where I've seen it but I know it was a good source. :(
Jade Rose

Postby Wonderland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:50 am

This is my Mystic Dreamer Tarot deck. I've been using it for like 2 years but it's not working for me anymore so I'm on the lookout for a new one. I love it though because it's super pretty and detailed and it spoke to me right away. I'll still keep it but not for readings:

Apprentice of the World.
Wonderland

Postby Pinkpower_80 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:58 am

I really want to get a deck. I used to have a nice set of Rider Waite as well as some animal medicine cards. I really loved them both although I didn't know how I use them very well.
They got lost during the many moves I've had to make over the past few years.
Pinkpower_80

Postby Echo_of_shadows » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:12 pm

The only tarot deck I've ever owned is the Anne Stokes deck that I just bought last month. I love the illustrations and the fact that each card's name is written in English, French, Spanish, and Dutch. Even though I don't understand French or Dutch, it's still nice to have the named of the cards printed in these languages. The only downside I can think of for this deck is that the little instruction book it comes with doesn't have very good interpretations of the cards. They're more or less just poetry. I use a journal of card symbolism that I wrote myself from various sources top help me read the cards.
The Rider Waite deck is definitely popular especially for its diversity of imagery.
I've been trying to put together my own tarot deck out of Magic The Gathering cards, but that's actually been a slow moving side project. :(
Echo_of_shadows
Ƴσʋ ∂σи'т αℓωαʏƨ κиσω ωнɛяɛ ʏσʋ ƨтαи∂ | 'Ƭιℓ ʏσʋ κиσω тнαт ʏσʋ ωσи'т яʋи αωαʏ -Ƨℓιρκиσт
Echo_of_shadows

Postby Holdasown » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:27 am

My first deck years ago was the Mandala Astrology Deck. An example would be:
They had no people on them, all symbols. When I got saved I pitched them. <Shakes head in shame>

I have a Rider -Waite set now with my goal being to do a personal deck more Heathen centered. I know there are Heathen decks out there but I want to use symbols more personal to me. I also see swords as fire and wands as air.I read the cards that way now even though your not really supposed too.
Holdasown

Next

Return to Tarot Talk