*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Where do i start?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

Where do i start?

Postby beltane_fire » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:23 pm

I'm obviously new to the wiccan tradition...I've been taking notes and going through sites on the internet..I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some books i should check out and learn more from...any help...thanks!!!
beltane_fire

Postby Blazewind » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:16 pm

Cheak out, A giude for the solitary practitioner, by scott cunningham, as well as the follow out book, Living Wicca, a further giude for the solitary practitioner, by the same author. I find those books to be most helpfull. there is a lot in them that i find myself turning back to look up on reguar occations. this like corraspondaces, and holiday rituals.
You may alos want to get ahold of a copy of raymond buckland's Complete book of witchcraft. This is basically a workbook, with exersizes and stuff, but it is also very usefull. There are alos of course many people here who you can ask questions of.
By the way, very cool username.
Blazewind

The only truely stupid question is the one that no one had the nerve to ask.
Blazewind

Postby jcrowfoot » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:48 pm

I like Christopher Penczak's Inner Temple of Witchcraft. and Outer Temple of Witchcraft I think they are easier to follow for beginners, than Cunningham's Guide. I would also recommend The Wiccan Warrior by Kerr Cuhulain.

I also like Making Magick my Edain McCoy, but that's out of print... in fact SO out of print that it's not even listed anymore at Amazon. This is a bummer, because the stuff of hers that actually is still in print has lots of crap in it.
jcrowfoot

Postby [Obsidian] » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:05 pm

There is also a discussion further down in this section called "Debate On A Wiccan's Helpfulness/Fluffy Bunnies" that you might read. Don't let it freighten you, it contains some interesting philosophical points.

Harry
[Obsidian]

Postby ThePaganMafia » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:16 pm

I think it is important to actually study other Pagan paths that are not Wiccan. There is a lot more Pagan religions then just Wicca.
The Official ThePaganMafia Fan Forum:
http://thepaganmafia.proboards53.com/index.cgi
ThePaganMafia

Postby amunptah777 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:37 am

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/index.htm

I try to send everybody here that has a question, the literature is all free and quite informative.

Thet
amunptah777

Postby Sobek » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:21 am

I think it may also be prudent to mention that questions that arise deserve to be asked!

Texts can't tell you everything you need to know.
Sobek
Banned Member

Postby amunptah777 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:45 pm

Sobek is quite right, as usual.

I'm just a big fan of having all the tools necessary first, figuring out what one can on one's own, then, if one needs help, one will know how to ask the right questions...:)

Thet
amunptah777

Re: Where do i start?

Postby SpiritTalker » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Just some start-up thoughts for an old but FAQ post:

Wicca Beginner Books
. Scott Cunningham's Wicca, a Guide for the Solitary Practioner sells for $10 & is a free PDF online
. Thea Sabin's Beginning Wicca sells around $12 helps build a good foundation
. Lisa Chamberlain's Wiccan Book of Spells sells for $6 & has a lot of spells; she’s a prolific author

Basic Wicca
. There is no ultimate authority in Wicca. We study mythology & lore. Some popular texts are The Wiccan Rede, Witch's Creed, Witch's Rune, Charge of the Goddess, and Legend of the Descent of the Goddess.
. Wicca generally guides the experience of Deity-in-Nature through ritual observance of seasonal cycles at Sabbats - Samhain, Imbolc, Beltane & Lammas, Solstices & Equinoxes; & at full moons (Esbats).
. The use of the ritual circle, the altar, the ritual tools & spell crafting are accepted as parts of Wiccan practice.
. Nature is generally perceived as divine with two forces: The Goddess and The God that go by many names which have evolved from several Indo-European cultures. Deities can be viewed as being Nature itself and as aspects of The Goddess & God, and as manifest Beings all at the same time.
. Her Titles - Primordial Star Goddess, Mother Earth, Maid-Mother-Crone, Triple Moon Goddess, Lady of the Sea
. His Titles - Lord of the Forest-the Elder & Lord of the Corn-the Younger, Green Man, Lord of Death & Rebirth

Beginner skills & starter-kit
. Practice feeling energy between your hands by holding your palms open & facing but not touching. Focus between them & push energy from the gut to hands. Notice the sensations. Shake your hands to clear them.
. Teach yourself to focus: gaze at a candle flame until it's all you're aware of. If your thoughts wander just return attention to the flame. Add on deep breathing to meditate. Practice 10 minutes daily.
. Test a few kitchen herbs; rub each between your fingers, smell, taste each. Notice your reactions. Use those you’re drawn to drawn to for blessing & attraction, and use those you pull away from for protection & banishing. Trust your feelings.
. Collect a few stones from different locations. Look for markings & that they’re easy to hold. Use water smoothed stones for healing, single-banded stones for wishes, stones criss-crossed with many lines for path finding. Stroke stones while chanting & swaying to effect desired conditions. Any stone will hold a charge. White quartz is all purpose. (Ref.C.Williamsen, Museum of WC)
. Gear: fire-safe bowl & incense - candles & holders - potion cup - salt & oil.

Re - spells
. Select materials related to the intent by element, property, appearance, color, scent, or other symbolism.
. Use wording in positive, present-tense phrases (It is & I have), & don't say what you don't want.
. Or chant, Earth, air, water, fire, work you now to my desire. For the good of everyone, so now it is done.
. Know your goal - to attract, to repel or to empower something; feel it in the belly & push through your hands.

Re - altars
. Altars shape & direct thought with symbols of nature’s elements: air, fire, water & earth.
. Tool Uses: a wand invites, the blade commands; chalice & pentacle charge potions or spells & hold offerings.
. Set-up: Goddess candle, chalice, salt on left; God candle, blade,wand, incense on right; pentacle center.
. It's OK to repurpose household items. Gear doesn't have to be from witchy shops or copy some grand style.

Create sacred space
. Broom-sweep a circular area <~widdershins to cleanse, then walk deosil~>, point & project the circle.
. Words: Round, around & round about, all good in & all bad out. / As I walk the circle is cast, guarding all & holding fast. (ref. S.Cunningham & D.Valiente)
. When you feel ready to advance you can add on the full ritual if you choose to.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick