*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

What Is Your Weather Like Today?

Got a joke; A weird story? Like to travel? Like Games or quizzes? Well this is a place for that.

Re: What Is Your Weather Like Today?

Postby firebirdflys » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:52 am

It snowed yesterday :shock: :surprisedwitch: :shock:
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby L.J.Hex » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:46 am

I wish it would stop snowing... Its a typical February weather here. Feels like spring, warm and cold weather follow one another, some times it gets windy as heck and more sunny days, shorter nights. But not really spring just yet.

Our tradition says that February has a mean, envious spirit. It wants to be as cold and dark as January and tries really hard to beat the heart of winter, but comes second every time. They say it tries to cling on to the dying winter but the cause is futile and the spring soon follows. All the sings are out that spring might come early this year. The birds are already singing about summer. :)
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
L.J.Hex

Postby Lenaleanna » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:52 am

Well, the snow storm cam in on Friday night- stayed all day yesterday and well into the night... today we woke up to at least 10 more inches of snow on top of what we got only days before... I hope March comes soon and brings Spring faster than normal!!! lol

Lena
When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don't let go.
Lenaleanna
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby firebirdflys » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:04 am

HA! I take it back, apparently what we had was graupel, well it looked like wet snow to me!

Hey Hex, you have a great point there. I have seen some of the fiercest storms come out of February. Seems if L A. is having a crazy weather time it's usually in February. I remember after the 1994 eathquake we had hail.
In my tradition it had been know as time of Ice (Celtic) and ice as I understand (not actually having to deal with it in reality) is a force to be reckoned with. When Ice begings to move...one had better get out of the way. A sign of the quickening to come.

@Lena I think one more is coming your way...the one that brought Malibu snow!! Then we should be done, right? smiley_dance
Bb, FF
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby L.J.Hex » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:53 am

I hear you Firebird. :)

Today our weather is just stunningly beautiful early spring, water dripping, snow melting, sunshine and lots of wind. I have my window open and I hear the birds singing... Yesterday was "Kevätmatti" The day Matti, which in Finnish folklore is the first spring day, they say that's when crows start being noisy and sure enough yesterday I heard the crows for the first time. I love those birds.
L.J.Hex

Postby firebirdflys » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:32 am

L.J.Hex wrote:Yesterday was "Kevätmatti" The day Matti, which in Finnish folklore is the first spring day,
How is that day dertermined Hex? Is it always in February?
firebirdflys

Postby SpiritTalker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:39 am

Eh. We got another cold blast with wind & snow. I didn't last long out in the wind. I shoveled to the bird feeder, refilled it & retreated. I'll wait for the wind to quit. Eeeeh.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby firebirdflys » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Oh dang Spirit I cannot even imagine that... well all of your winter escapades sound like you're a trouper and I wouldn't last a minute in that kind of weather!
We did our full moon the Sunday before it was full. Went to the top of a hill, where it must have been blowin 40 mph or so and it was like 50 degrees. (Burr) That's was crazy, the wind tripped me when we were walking and I fell into the grass (which is about a foot tall now) It was amazing weather the kind of wind you can lean into without falling over! And the grasses blowing in the wind looked like rivers of green nice to see, this was all land torched by the Woolsey fire.
FF
firebirdflys

Postby L.J.Hex » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:36 pm

firebirdflys wrote:
L.J.Hex wrote:Yesterday was "Kevätmatti" The day Matti, which in Finnish folklore is the first spring day,
How is that day dertermined Hex? Is it always in February?

Yes, there's winter "Matti" and spring "Matti". That's a Finnish mans name btw. I'm following a fb page called Taivaannaula(The sky nail.), they post things about the old Finnish year almost daily. The posts have all kinds of information on the traditions and possible celebrations and customs from different areas.

The folklore tells that the time between these two days is the time bears hibernate and on the spring Matti the birds start to sing, particularly crows. Its considered the first spring day of the year and its weather can be used to predict how long the spring will last. This year the birds were early, they have been singing their summer song for over a week. The weather was warm and calm, I predict fast and early spring this year. :flyingwitch:

Usually the old dates are either clearly set or they could be within two or three days as the customs and timing depends on where the tradition is from. There's huge local differences on this. Anyway, weather and predicting it is huge part of our tradition as the long winter and short summer dictate so much about people's lives.

And interestingly, a lot of the old folklore holds true or goes very close by. Such as signs to predict winter, those are one of the most common ones. :)
L.J.Hex

Postby SpiritTalker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:43 am

The blue jays have been noisy here today. Anybody know what rattles a bluejay?
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Oh boy!O boy! the upcoming 5-day forecast is temperatures above freezing! it's been in the teens. Anything warmer is welcome.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Yesterday there was still knee deep snow on the ground, but 48'F temp began taking it down. Today's 58'F high and sudden heavy rain & thunder, has reduced all but the tallest piles to puddles. Winter can't be over - 'tho I'm not complaining - just suspicious. This was too easy. Sunset is casting a yellow hue to the misty air. Next week 10 day forecast drops back to 30'F . Shrug.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:38 pm

Ye gads! It's snowing in soggy chunks the size of silver dollars! Some are accumulating on the grass but melting on pavement which is slick.The temperature is just above freezing.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby L.J.Hex » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:52 am

Beautiful spring weather, no clouds in sight and very warm sunshine. Its as if the sun has came to life out of nowhere. Snow is melting and water drips all over the place and our road is nearly flooded, huge chunks of ice came down from the roof. Birds are singing more than any day before. Summersong...
L.J.Hex

Postby TwilightDancer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 am

It's nice today. Got the windows open and everything. :fairy:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
TwilightDancer

PreviousNext

Return to Fun things