*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

What are people's opinions/experiences with....?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

What are people's opinions/experiences with....?

Postby CleverlyDisguised » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:42 pm

So I am a long time pagan and in that time I have gone through many flavours of occult practices... I have practiced the qabal, I have been a Goetic invoked, I have been a chaos magician just to name a few... so how do you lot feel about some of those? Like what are the preconceptions people have about chaos magicians or goetic practitioners for example. View? Insights? Rants and ramblings?
CleverlyDisguised

Re: What are people's opinions/experiences with....?

Postby SpiritTalker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:48 pm

My view is they are head-oriented, and complex, based on study and memorization. The study can be so focussed on power that it sometimes skips over the wisdom that makes the power possible.

Edit- upon reflection, that latter point is true of any magical system. It just appears that kabbala seems to attract the head-focussed folk, educated type more than the dirt and grit, touchy-feely type. We need a bit of both. Use our heads and our hearts.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby CleverlyDisguised » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:31 pm

SpiritTalker wrote:My view is they are head-oriented, and complex, based on study and memorization. The study can be so focussed on power that it sometimes skips over the wisdom that makes the power possible.

Edit- upon reflection, that latter point is true of any magical system. It just appears that kabbala seems to attract the head-focussed folk, educated type more than the dirt and grit, touchy-feely type. We need a bit of both. Use our heads and our hearts.
i agree, my first exposure to magick was Wicca.. thats how I ended up meeting a bunch of new-age-fluffy-bunny wiccans (that just means the type that thinks "I'm a good person so nothing bad could possibly happen to me")
CleverlyDisguised

Postby SnowCat » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Fluffy bunnies are cute. My cat wanted to chase one.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby SpiritTalker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:56 pm

My first exposure to magic was satanism, thru a college dorm room mate, but we won't go there. :D it shook the fluff off the bunny.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby CleverlyDisguised » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Lmao I hear that ST
CleverlyDisguised

Postby RyukaAscendant » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:50 am

My first experience with magic was noticing the energy that flows in and around me through meditation. If I hadn't gotten into martial arts it may have taken me longer but I'm pretty sure I'd have eventually begun walking this path.
I never could quite get into the ritualism of Wicca. Most of my spells are more like small poems rarely more than 4 lines one of the reasons I feel close to Odin and the Norse.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
RyukaAscendant

Postby Corbin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:46 am

Regarding Chaos Magicians; I've noticed in the past a lot of concern over the chaos magician maxim of Belief being a tool, usually by people who fail to distinguish the difference between belief and faith; belief being an exercise in Will, an intellectual choice and one that can and does change over time (Faith being a spiritual imperative).

Ive seen a lot of labelling of Chaos Magic as "unwise", yet wisdom in my experience is the attribute of the practitioner, not the path they walk - no path or person is above both wisdom and folly.
Corbin

Postby Bychan Wulf » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:07 am

SpiritTalker wrote:My first exposure to magic was satanism, thru a college dorm room mate, but we won't go there. :D it shook the fluff off the bunny.

Ugh, not a very nice way of getting introduces to the craft!

My first experience: I was afraid of darkenss (still am ( and in order to be able to go to the basement or sleep by myself, I casted protection spell from the eutm site. I felt the heat and a protective bubble around myself. Repeating those words untill I got away from the dark place, even at my grandparents' house which is really creepy, helped a lot.
This and the fact that when I got electrocuted, I didn't have a problem and my mom was thrown through the glass door, from the same electric shock; made me believe in magic and nothing could prove me wrong. :D

About Chaos magick, it sounds like the opposite of what I am using tye craft for. Not very friendly and peaceful...al I wrong?
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Bychan Wulf

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:34 pm

We learn from every experience. I figured out what was being done to me. We went through a lot of the learning process together. We actually got along OK after that.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby CleverlyDisguised » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:09 pm

ST, you changed your profile picture! (Completely unrelated)
CleverlyDisguised

Postby Bychan Wulf » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:57 pm

CleverlyDisguised wrote:ST, you changed your profile picture! (Completely unrelated)

What? I still see the old one.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Bychan Wulf

Postby Newbiewitch94 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 am

SpiritTalker wrote:My first exposure to magic was satanism, thru a college dorm room mate, but we won't go there. :D it shook the fluff off the bunny.

Oh dear
I remembe once upon a time i was drawn to that path wanting vengance
Thankfully i didnt have the guts to go through with it
Newbiewitch94

Postby Hagerman420 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:43 am

Same here Satanism. I remember studying it in grade 8 with 4 others in my class, somehow we convinced the teacher to allow satanism to be one of the topics to study haha..
Be Happy Stay Happy :)
Hagerman420

Postby SpiritTalker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 pm

My room mate was highly intelligent, with few scruples. She read a lot & we'd discuss what she read. When she experimented with satanism, she asked me to act as the battery (aka fall-guy). In doing so, I lost so much weight that my clothes hung on me, and I often felt drained. Small wonder. By reading one of her Anton LeVey books and educating myself, I figured out that I was being put in a "sucker" position. if anything went wrong, I'd take the brunt, not her. So I objected to being used, and refused to take part. She switched to studying Cabala and ceremonial magic, and was a driving force in our college paranormal study group. She introduced the group to mediumship. :evilwitch: so I had a broad, extremely general intro into assorted magical processes before witchcraft.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Next

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft