*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

What alter items do I need?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

What alter items do I need?

Postby Cinna » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:19 pm

What alter items are needed? Like is a wand and altar cloth necessary
Last edited by firebirdflys on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
:3
Cinna

Re: What alter items do I need?

Postby Ravencry » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:32 pm

An altar cloth, technically, is used to keep candle wax and incense ash (among other things) off of your altar surface. A wand directs energy, but you can use your pointer finger. Any altar item you cannot get, can be replaced with something else.
Ravencry

Postby raynelae » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Candles are always nice, statues of the Goddess and God of your tradition, a wand, an athame, shells, stones, salt, oils, etc. whatever feels right to you belongs there :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
raynelae

Postby ItsMichael » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:33 pm

I have decided after the cleansing (smudging) of my house that I started using the mantle of my fire place which is a section of a beam from the old barn that was here over a 100 years ago ("So the story as it was told to me goes."). I thought it was a fitting place. So far I have some wild turkey feathers up there that I found on the ground out back, my alabaster shell withe sage and sweet grass in it, One of my ex-girlfriends crystals that she left me (Supposedly for protection and energy), A Grizzly Bear figurene that my daughter gave me, Some metal pieces that I found around the farm, and My wild Russian Boars head that hangs over it. Correct me if I'm wrong but your altar is what you make of it isn't it???
ItsMichael

Postby Red Music » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:33 pm

I put anything I want up there, Like my altar cloth isn't anything special. Its a dishtowel with flowers on it but I like it! ;)
:3
Red Music

Postby Ravencry » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:02 pm

I made my own altar cloths once, they were pants that I took the fabric from and painted seasonal flowers and fruits on.

If you do decide to have traditional altar items, I suggest that you make your own. Your energy will make the tool stronger.
Ravencry

Postby ItsMichael » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Is it necessary to have some type of alter cloth? Just asking?
ItsMichael

Postby Ravencry » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:15 pm

If you don't want ash and wax on your surface :D
Ravencry

Postby Alannah » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:25 am

I am eclectic; I don't use all tools. Just the ones that feel right for me.
For starters: I don't have an athame or a bolline...it's just not me and I don't see the point buying it if I can use something else for the same goal.
I do have:
- a wand (made it myself from a Hazeltree in my backyard, painted with pearl and decorated with rosequartz)
- a BoS (also selfmade...pink leather and screwpost binding, turned out pretty good!!!)
- a cauldron (just found one last year, before I used a pretty bowl from Housewares)
- an offering bowl (just plain glass)
- a chalice (a purple glass one I once picked up from a store)
- a pentacle (made it myself from small branches and colored string...I love natural finds)
- a bell (I use a small copper one)

Buy/make what you will really use!!!! A lot of tools look really pretty (and are expensive) but you don't re4ally need them. Making your own tools will bring you happiness, your tools will have your energy and it will save a lot of money too!!!

Good luck.
* Eat, drink and be merry
Be with those you love
For tomorrow we all have to get up and go to work again *
Alannah

Postby SpiritTalker » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:46 am

Cinna wrote:What alter items are needed? Like is a wand and altar cloth necessary?

An altar for spiritual devotions is going to use different items than a magic-only work table. There’s no wrong way to express devotion. Altars for magical purposes usually will have symbols of the deities & elements of Nature: land, sea, sky & fire is of the gods. The standard ritual tools represent forms of Nature: wand-air/sky, blade-fire, cup-water/sea, pentacle-earth/land & that pesky altar cloth represents the aetheric realm above the altar’s earth-plane & where magic happens. It’s all symbols.

There's no rule that ritual gear must come from witchy shops or that altars must be copies of the ceremonial Ritualist's grand altar style. Many witches make their own tools & repurpose household dishes & natural items. We can use our hands to direct energy in place of a blade or wand, & use a tray instead of an altar cloth & move it.

Starter gear - a burning bowl for incense & small fire tasks, potion cup, offering dish & candle holders
Starter sypplies - Incense, candles, oil, water, salt, a few herbs or teas

We can add Devotional items that are personal & express a true spiritual relationship once we get that far. You might have an image that reminds you of the deities, an offering bowl, prayer guides & beads, your journal, pendulum or card deck if used, & any seasonal decorations.

We can choose not to use the ritual tools if they're not useful to our interests or style of practice. A mortar & pestle & cauldron could be more useful in Crafting than a pentacle, wand & cup to a kitchen-witch, or a hedge-witch might use all found-in-nature items & make their own unique tools; the point being that we can match tools to actual need. Wait until you find yourself thinking you could really use X to do Y .
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick