*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Wax Reading

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.

Wax Reading

Postby MVTirado » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:03 pm

Does anyone know anything about candle wax reading? In all these years I've never bothered with it much, as I've generally never seen anything note worthy. Ironically, after trying to find information on it, the next candles I burned decided to entertain me!

First, the green candle created a very large shape along the left side (my left facing it, which was north) that I can only say looked like a very detailed leaf, but it reminded me of ... I suppose decoration on a column, rolling out from its side. However, as the candle burned down, so did this image on the side of it. It ended up being a "clean burn" of a 4 inch candle, virtually no wax left.

Then, the gold candle left this very long wax shape (same side as the green candle) which didn't burn up with the candle. It was a 10 inch tapered candle, burned on a very tall brass candle holder. From first glance (from the original angle) it looked to be a nicely formed bride and groom sitting on top of the rim that is to catch the wax, and a long train hanging over the side. As I looked at it from different angles, I thought it might be a phoenix, and then maybe a faerie or angel. (I don't particularly believe in faeries, so I wouldn't know what to make of that.) A phoenix would make sense as the long "train" hanging over the side could be fire. Regardless, the image sitting on the rim is a rather distinctive body, facing the candle holder.

The timing is incredibly odd. Does anyone know anything about candle reading (aside from it being mostly intuitive)? Or any good websites on the topic? I've looked but I can't seem to find much. I couldn't "read" much from it as I was too busy doing this -> :shock: However, it didn't give me a bad feeling or anything along those lines.

Thanks in advance!
MVTirado

Postby kuotetsu » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:39 am

Wax reading is quite popular here in the Philippines, however most of them were hermits along the country. The wax used to tell whether who's the person or this certain elementals that did magically harm or whatsoever with you.. I'll post an image of wax reading after some time if you want
kuotetsu

Postby MVTirado » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:35 am

Thanks. I'd appreciate it. On-line what I found said it is mostly intuitive, and then someone else was telling me yesterday that some use the same symbol meanings that some use for tasseomacy.

Thanks again!
MVTirado

Postby jcrowfoot » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:53 am

Yes, it is mostly intuitive. It's actually very much like scrying as well as reading tea leaves. You can even do it with clouds!

Personal symbols can be very potent... of course there are also "universal" symbols that one can sorta figure. Honestly, it sounds like you are starting on a new venture. Just listen to the list of things you mention. Marriage. Phoenix. Unfurling green leaves (sculpted or not... your description sounds like acanthus, which is also a symbol of renewal). A fair folk would also be positive change, as well as the angel... seriously good news. What ever it was you were divining about, unless it's something you really want to end, isn't something you should worry about, if you ask me. :-)
jcrowfoot

Postby MVTirado » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:19 am

Acanthus! That's what it is. (LOL... You're good!) I googled it.

I'm pretty sure that the "angel" is an "angel." I just couldn't shake the feeling of a person standing up there. I'm not sure if it's because this happens to be a 3D image, but I've been very hesitant about disposing of it.

Thanks, jcrowfoot. :)
MVTirado

Postby jcrowfoot » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:51 am

No problem... you described it to the point I had an image in my head, so I grabbed from my bag of "architectural geek tricks", was right! :-)

Hey, if you like the wax doodad, don't get rid of it. I have a little wooden box I keep around just for those kinds of things. You may want to wrap the wax up in tissue paper or muslin, so it doesn't fall apart.
jcrowfoot

Postby MVTirado » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:54 am

You know, I was going to save it, but something gave me an odd feeling about it. And then after someone else told me to just discard it, I just took it down. Ironically, I had another gold candle yesterday leave a very similar dripping! It wasn't as detailed and well... beautiful, but it was clearly the same as the other. REALLY odd, considering this has never happened before.

Although I have taken it down, I'm not sure where to dispose of it.
MVTirado

Postby DesktopHippie » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:37 pm

I know someone who combines wax reading with ogham reading. He basically drips a candle into a bowl of water and sees what ogham symbols appear, then judges the reading based on those.

He likes it as it combines fire and water, the elements of Brighid - an important figure in the Druidic tradition. For him, the wax almost talks, and his readings are incredibly accurate.

I'm close to Brighid too, and love ogham readings. When I try this method though, I end up squinting at the wax and saying things like "Um... it sort of looks like a duck..."

Different strokes, I suppose :roll:
<b>So, why do you write these strong women characters?</b>
Because you're still asking me that question.</i> ~ Joss Whedon
DesktopHippie

Postby MVTirado » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:01 pm

Thanks for the reply! LOL... it seems like I read something similar to this before. I've never tried it (or many other methods for that matter). I've never even worried much about reading the candle wax from work I've done... I just pay attention to the flame, smoke, sounds, and so forth. It was just odd that for the first time in like... ever my wax turned up very clear and detailed signs, and I've been doing work for 10 years. The first time I really recall seeing much that I felt to be note worth.

But thanks, I will probably try that out someday. I imagine that it wouldn't be as creepy to me as water scrying. :lol: (I scare easily.) Right now, I guess my current venture is working with my crystal ball. :)
MVTirado

Return to General Divination