*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

How Should I Set Up My Altar?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

How Should I Set Up My Altar?

Postby QuestionableEnergy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:44 am

So I have been told that I don't have to have the traditional pentagram type of altar. I would love to place some rocks I have found like agates and jasper..are there any you suggest? Should I be burning incense and if so what kind? and also the candles..I cannot remember what colors represent what right at this moment but..how can i set it up to where it looks natural (which I have crystals and rocks and candles all over my house to begin with) but portrays and altar that is pleasing to the god/goddess? Also keep in mind I have a very active 18 month child!
QuestionableEnergy

Re: I want to set up my altar

Postby Vervain » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:37 am

Your altar should be whatever you want it to be. If you want to burn incense, do so; if not, don't. If you have found rocks and stones that resonate with you, feel free to place them on your altar. Your altar is a physical manifestation of your personal worship practice. If it's special to you, if YOU know it's an altar, then it is.
She changes everything she touches, and everything she touches changes.
We are changers, everything we touch can change.
Vervain

Re: I want to set up my altar

Postby Echo_of_shadows » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:34 am

An altar doesn't have to have any particular look to it. Perhaps if you've got a shelf high up out of the reach of your child, that might be the first place you'll want to start thinking of as an altar. You can say to the god and goddess: "These rocks, crystals, candles, and other things that I place on this shelf are nice. I think of you as I place them here, and whenever I see them here in the future, I will think of you then as well. I hope you like them." Whatever you see as your altar, the Divine will see as your altar as well. Whatever you place on your altar for the divine, the divine will see it as something for them. If you don't have an altar that you can keep out of reach of your child, you can use a temporary altar that you can have set up at times when your child is asleep or perhaps spending time with relatives. You may want to get battery operated candles. Some of them even have a nice scent and they can be not only a nice alternative to incense, it's a safe alternative as well. If you go the battery operated route, try to get candles that have a screw to keep the batteries inside because these candles use small batteries and they can be a choking hazard.
Echo_of_shadows
Ƴσʋ ∂σи'т αℓωαʏƨ κиσω ωнɛяɛ ʏσʋ ƨтαи∂ | 'Ƭιℓ ʏσʋ κиσω тнαт ʏσʋ ωσи'т яʋи αωαʏ -Ƨℓιρκиσт
Echo_of_shadows

Re: How Should I Set Up My Altar?

Postby SpiritTalker » Mon May 13, 2019 10:00 pm

You could use a wall shelf to keep items out of a toddler's reach. Or (as mentioned) use battery powered candles available in tea light, taper or pillar styles at variety stores. Neutral colored or green & brown candles suggest Nature. Any stones that feel good to you are fine for an intuitive eclectic, natural-looking decor. Leafy twigs mixed with a vase of seasonal flowers can rep the God & Goddess. Any of the woodsy scented incense would add aromas of Nature. Wooden bowls & botanical print fabric altar cloths give an earthy touch; whereas clear glass with black or white gives a mystic look. Use red as a highlight & power color for pizzaz.

A magical altar is a work-table & a tool for shaping energy to aid magic. The standard altar arrangement puts (-) Passive Earth & Water on the left; & (+) Active Air & Fire on the right. Power is concentrated at the center of the space where you'd bless offerings & charge spells. Altar candles go in back. This altar arrangement represents duality in Nature & aids magic; guidelines aren't mandatory.

A devotional altar differs from a magical work table as being a highly personal expression of your own concept of worship. There's no specific arrangement - be creative. It's OK to combine the symbols of a devotional altar, seasonal decor & a magical work space if it's not over crowded.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft