The Darkside of Balance

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Earth Ritual

The Darkside of Balance

Post by Earth Ritual »

What is a darkworker and how do darkworkers factor in into the balance of nature? Is there a relationship between the darkworker and the lightworker?
You are either for Life or against It. There is no in between.

I used to believe in god above. Now I'm filled with so much love.-Erykah Badu after the invocation of the Goddess

May the love that holds eternity at its fingertips kiss each and everyone one you on the lips. May your words bring worlds that bring hope to a world dying to be reborn.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

I'm not entirely sure i have heard this term before but if i am right in my assumptions of what it means, i am both... i dont stray to one side, i live in as much balance as i can.
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

hi,

it's like almost a dance between good and evil and a person in the grey area. i like to think i am a good witch and push out all the negative engery that i can. i think it's in the heart of each witch that makes a big difference.

blessed be :D
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Dark and Light are two different polarities, of which only 1% of the population completely dedicates ones life to either Dark workings or Light workings. People of the Light are dedicated to the greater good completely. People of the Dark are dedicated to themselves completely. Most people never polarize. Dedicating yourself to either side completely consumes your life, it is all encompassing. You would not even have time for a full-time job.
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

Thank everyone for your insights. It sounds like I need a deeper understanding of polarity.

I think what I am really looking for is the age old "why does suffering happen"? and the a general victim question, "Why the f*ck do certain "people" always want to enslave and destroy"? I guess the real question is am I ready to know?

I used to believe in god above. Now I'm filled with so much love.-Erykah Badu after the invocation of the Goddess

May the love that holds eternity at its fingertips kiss each and everyone one you on the lips. May your words bring worlds that bring hope to a world dying to be reborn.
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Earth Ritual wrote:Thank everyone for your insights. It sounds like I need a deeper understanding of polarity.

I think what I am really looking for is the age old "why does suffering happen"? and the a general victim question, "Why the f*ck do certain "people" always want to enslave and destroy"? I guess the real question is am I ready to know?
If your interested in learning more about this, I wrote a paper on this study when I was working on my Masters. I could PM you more in depth info.
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

Thank you Stephanie. I am definitely interested.

Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Syndica wrote:hi,

it's like almost a dance between good and evil and a person in the grey area. i like to think i am a good witch and push out all the negative engery that i can. i think it's in the heart of each witch that makes a big difference.

blessed be :D
What if you dont believe in evil?? I dont.
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

The term Evil is actually a really broad term. I think if there is good then there is also bad, it is all part of the balancing act. I also believe that bad or evil should be looked at subjectively. While one who believes in the Devil would subjectively consider him evil.... I would not, because I do not believe in the Devil.
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Ok, before you can even begin to tackle this subject you have to completely give up the words "good" and "evil".

Let's just take a minute here to de-christianize ourselves and let go of this ridiculous word "evil" shall we?

'Dark' isn't evil any more than 'Light' is good. Energy just is.

Also, to understand darkworking you have to let go of some of the myths that pagans have built up around themselves.
The main myth you have to let go of is the 'affecting other people's will' nonsense.

You have to learn and accept that all magick affects the will of either yourself or somebody else to a greater or lesser degree.

Some of the comments made here are very true. It isn't "wrong" to be either completely 'dark' or 'light' - it's just imbalance.
And any Witch who is out of balance really isn't worth his/her salt.

Unfortunately a lot of garbage has been built up around modern paganism over recent decades and it takes a lot to break that down.
However, the serious student of dark paganism has to in order to successfully walk a darker path.

For a good read on this subject you'd do well to read:

Out of the Shadows: An Exploration of Dark Paganism and Magick

John J. Coughlin
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Here's the link to the website that accompanies the book I mentioned above:

http://www.waningmoon.com/darkpagan/
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Greymalkin wrote:Ok, before you can even begin to tackle this subject you have to completely give up the words "good" and "evil".

Let's just take a minute here to de-christianize ourselves and let go of this ridiculous word "evil" shall we?
Actually the term 'Evil' stems from Proto-Germanic and Proto-Indo-European cultures. The term 'Evil' predates the christian invasions for both peoples by roughly 367 years for the Germanic and 900 years for the Indo-European.

As I said previously, the term 'Evil' is broad and should be looked at subjectively. Looking at something subjectively would be based on an emotional or personal experience, not fact.
Greymalkin wrote: Some of the comments made here are very true. It isn't "wrong" to be either completely 'dark' or 'light' - it's just imbalance.
And any Witch who is out of balance really isn't worth his/her salt.
Actually, based on my studies, polarizing with either light or dark is experiencing the full intensity of which ever side you chose. It is a life time commitment and the belief is universal, not just pagans or organized religions.

The terms 'darkworker' and 'lightworker' stem from Greek words, and are the foundations of almost all belief systems today. These terms have been widely used since the first century and most likely even before that, there is nothing modern about them or their interpretations.
Xal

Post by Xal »

Evil is live backwards.

OMG!
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" - Carl Sagan
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

hi,

well to be honest i really do think there's good and evil within all of us, but our mind and soul takes the direction to the path which it suits that person. like for an example i had a dark time in my life, but when i saw the light i never went back to darkness. i know this may sound lame, but i am speaking from my heart.

blessed be:D
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

I agree with Syndica that there is good and evil within all of us. I find that the more I'm present to the evil in my soul such as being hurtful to myself with my thoughts, I can choose to transform those thoughts and accept how deeply loved I am. When I do not do that I cannot love others and definitely can't assist others in their healing.

I agree with Stephanie that declaring evil is subjective. I've been able to trace and link the etymology of the word to ignorance or blindness.

I agree with Greymalkin that in reality evil does not exist.

I think that the declaration of evil is in many ways defining healthy boundaries for individuals and communities. I think that it can be useful in creating a life that works for what we want to bring to the world.

I think that what is going on on this planet is a return of a large number of people to their innate divinity. A return from where? Ignorance and Lies. In that space I think it is important to define what we are and what we are not.

By the way Syndica, what you said about seeing the light and never looking back is so very human. It is one of the most precious and important moments in a souls existence.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”