Ukrainian Wax Divination & Healing

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
Holdasown

Ukrainian Wax Divination & Healing

Post by Holdasown »

While these ladies are Christian I wouldn't doubt the practice is pre-Christian. It's very interesting and almost a form of divination.
Kassandra

Re: Ukrainian Wax Divination & Healing

Post by Kassandra »

This is so interesting, the babka, the village healer woman, every culture's got one! I love it. And they live in a "barter economy," interesting. I would love Sara Phillips' anthropology job, travelling to countries with other researchers, camping out, and just studying the interesting things people do. Nice.

I think this kind of divination is called ceromancy.

Hoodoo conjure work has a tradition of ceromancy, too, but it is performed after a candle spell has been done. And I've never seen the wax itself actually used for healing, as the babki used it in the video. That was interesting! With hoodoo ceromancy, the melting pattern of the post-spell candle gives clues as to the outcome of the situation being addressed. The wax may "say" any of a number of things, such as:

1. The spell will have a successful outcome, or
2. The spell needs additional workings done in order to achieve success in the final outcome, or
3. No more spell work should be done on the matter and an altogether different course of action should be taken, instead.

Believe it or not, you really can intuitively distinguish what the wax is saying by the way it melts. I think all spell work deals with physics, and energy has vibrations which evidence themselves in physical objects. I have done candle spells where I was like, "Yes!" And I have done others where I was like, "Meh, back to the drawing board," the energy to continue was just not there in the spell, a new direction was needed (that's why it's good to work with your ancestors, they won't do the work for you, but they won't let you waste your time either, and they'll at least give you a head's up, lol). Sometimes, as the dynamics of a situation change, so should the related magic change accordingly, in my opinion.

The disposal of the candle wax from the spell is relevant too, in hoodoo. In this path, you never just toss it in the garbage. If the goal is something you'd want to attract to your life (like in a money or love spell), you might include the wax in a mojo bag and/or bury the wax in your own yard, a great metaphor. But if the goal is something you'd like to extract from your life, you'd dispose of the wax at a crossroads, in a graveyard, or otherwise remove it far from the premises.

Anyway, another great share, Holdasown. Thank you!
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I thought the part where she asked the one woman what the priest thought she said she wasn't a witch so it was ok. That witches did spells, worked with eggs and she's a healer. But most would consider what they do some type of craft work. It thought that was a cultural point of interest.

And you're welcome. Someone suggested it to me somewhere and I finally got to watch it . Even my husband liked it.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I have heard about this before. Apparently, it's done whenever there is a big problem (health mainly) and most of the practitioners are Christians. Even though this is an old practice. There is another form of it, called "bullet pouring" where in water you pour lead. It's done when a child has been scared of something and the lead supposedly shapes into whatever scared the child. For example if the child has been scared by a lightning, the lead forms as a lightning. I have seen this one and as a child it's been done to me and I did really see a spider forming (I have this incredible spider phobia). It's supposed to heal the person from the fright but doesn't always work. I guess it's the same with the wax. The water they use is holy water, but they actually do several chants that have nothing to do with Christianity.
hayal

Post by hayal »

hi Yanakhan, we do the same with the "bullet pouring," as you said. But we don't use holy water, as we are Muslims :) and chant along prayers from Qur-an . We use it in daily life language as well if things are going wrong we say, "Let's pour some gun powder!" heehee
)m00nLit 0wL(
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Well, I think it's actually a tradition that's older than Christianity or Islam. So depending on personal beliefs, people do it with what's holy for them. It makes sense that Muslims read Qur'an prayers. Actually many people in my country, despite being Christians, consult imams when it comes to magick and also wear mascots with Qur'an prayers written on them.

Return to “Folk Magick”