goddesses under the magnifying glass

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Zili

goddesses under the magnifying glass

Post by Zili »

So I was called back to Dionysus (after events of today I think I shall pray to him to lighten my heart and help me find some laughter here pretty soon)

But I'm still searching for a goddess, not one has called me so I thought perhaps searching again might help to bring one to light.

I'm looking for goddesses that are the opposite of Dionysus, looking for a balance, but not a goddess of death or that's considered "dark" possibly mother goddesses (i've been avoiding them for so long but they may be a good start) I'm also interested in maiden goddesses.

suggest a few for me to look into?
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Re: goddesses under the magnifying glass

Post by Black_Tail »

Hello there!
If you're looking into the same pantheon, maybe Artemis or Hecate?
If other pantheons: Kali, Sekhmet, Isis, Sedna?
Zili

Post by Zili »

HI there Black_Tail!!!!!! (foreveryone else I met black_tail a few days ago on another forum and invited her to check us out :D)

I'm looking into all pantheons,I studied Isis and Kali extensively a few years back, and where as I have great respect for them I havent felt any sort of connection to them (a little with Kali but that's only because I was trained with Kali Sticks in martial arts.)

Isis is also considered a Mother Goddess in my book because she gave birth to a son Horus (a God I have great respect for as well)

One came to mind last night after posting was Persephone

I haven't felt any calling or connection, but a month or so ago Michael suggested I look into Gods of theatre since I have a passion for the stage and behind the scenes work and a dream lead me back to Dionysus who I had started to follow when I was in high school as an actress before I became a techie. Last night being stressed and everything I heard/felt a whisper saying "dance child" although right now I cannot with a sprained ankle, I laid down for bed and allowed myself to feel as though I were dancing as I fell asleep. I know its Dionysus telling me to throw my stresses out the window.
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

Well for strong maidens I would always suggest Artemis/Diana, a very strong lady that takes some getting used to, but once you do you'll enjoy the ride ;)
Not a big fan of Persephony myself even if she is very strong I try not to mess with her to much.
Not a big fan of Blodeuwedd either but maybe worth looking into.
Ostara is very sweet as well, very playfull.

Mother goddesses like Gaia, Demeter, Freya are lovely to work with as well, they have lovely energies. Of all I feel most drawn to Demeter but they are lovely and all call to a different part of your persona so you really need to look into them to see which one fits you. :)

Hope this helped
Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

Persephone? Hmm, definitely a darker goddess, goddess of underworld. I've never worked with her personally though.
Zili

Post by Zili »

She may be the Goddess of the Underworld, but remember she wasn't always like that and its the union of her and her mother that give us spring and summer.

I haven't heard of Sedna before though.
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

I remember. ^^ I believe she is also the one that suggested to Morpheus to give people dreams.

Sedna is an inuit goddess. Underworld type. I forget most of the myth but in the end her father was ferrying her somewhere when they were attacked. He cut up her fingers, toes, etc.. and threw them into the sea, they ended up becoming sea creatures (whales, walrus, etc). Then she was tossed in. In order to gain favor on hunts and other things, shamans went into meditation to meet with Sedna. She still lacks her fingers so shamans brushed her hair for her and gained her favor that way.
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

Sedna was the inuit goddess of the sea. According to legend, her mutilated hands became creatures of the sea (whales, dolphins etc. developped out of her fingers and palms). She is still living on the ocean's ground ruling her kingdom of the sea.

That's all I know, and even that I learnt from listening to H Dale's her song about her. :)
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwKX0feyAVE
Found it! I have all H-e-a-t-h-e-r D-a-l-e her cds and was very surprised to find this one on youtube, it's deffinatly worth a listen
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Kolyada. She can be a triple goddess but normally is seen as an maiden goddess going into cronehood. Her is a quick site (in english) http://reclaimingthedarkgoddess.blogspo ... lyada.html
Zili

Post by Zili »

Thanks for the info on Sedna, I hadn't had a chance to sit down and look at her (had some real life serious business helping to bring a friend to safety after breaking up with an emotionally abusive boyfriend who has had violent mood swings in the past. My friend is safe and some of my friends offered up their dorm for her to stay in last night, she's already got a new appartment she can move into today!)

Kolyada sounds intriguing I'll look into her further :)
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

Good to hear your friend is doing okay. Lots of luck to her!

I was thinking on other goddesses that might catch your interest. How about Aradia? The queen of all witches? Found her while researching Diana.
Athena/Minerva? Also very strong goddesses that call on the creative side of you as well as the independent side.

Bless
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

Ya know. Persephone might have caught your attention because you were helping your friend. She is a goddess that was abused and I kind of feel like she may be a matron for abused women.
Crossed my mind this morning while getting groceries.
Zili

Post by Zili »

You know black_tail that makes sense seeing as I have been abused since early childhood and healed for the most part last year from the last abuses I suffered where I was almost forced to marry a man who abused and raped me...he is the one who decided to end things then his friend attacked me (talk about a story in nut shell there)

As for Aradia I have not heard of this one either I'll look more into her tonight when I am not playing catch up with my homework and studies. My friend Bethany is coming over to my place tomorrow to talk and hang out and she's been helping me for the last year in my search so we'll look over things tomorrow too :)
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

Cool. You could try warrior goddesses too? The Morrigan maybe?
But I think you could have somethin' with Persephone.

sorry if I keep chiming in, I have no life. :P

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”