Tinctures

Potions go here. Keep it nice please. No poisons.
Sallydreams

Tinctures

Post by Sallydreams »

I realize that Tinctures aren't exactly potions... but they can be used as such.

I've got a few herbs I would like to make into tinctures but I'm still not exactly sure of their use in general... and I don't want to just make some to make it.

Does anyone have any experience with Tinctures?
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Just make sure it is composed of at least 25% ethanol (that goes for both medicinal and herbal).

What type of tinctures are you looking to make? My dad taught me how to make these, and he always has them on hand so I might be able to help you out some.
Sallydreams

Post by Sallydreams »

I have Lavender, Wormwood and chamomile I would like to make into tinctures.

All the things I've read have told me 100% alcohol with a ratio 1:5 1 being the herb, 5 being the alcohol.
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

From my experience, any ratio above 1:4 is most likely to get you drunk. The point is too extract the essence of the herb, too much alcohol and you will just get drunk. You could also use vinegar or glycerol. If you do decide to use the 1:5 ratio, you should mix 1 part herb to 1 part water/4 parts ethanol.

Go light on the amount of Lavender you use, the wormwood has a very bitter taste and I would use the 1:4 ratio for the Chamomile.

The best way to learn what mixtures work best for you, is by making them and trying them out. You should also only ingest about a spoonful at a time.
Sallydreams

Post by Sallydreams »

Okay, thanks tons!!!

What kind of tinctures does your Dad usually have on hand? What are their benefits? I'd be interested in making those as well.
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

He always has a Mallow tonic on hand for coughs, colds and chest congestion. You just have to be sure to use a fresh plant, not dried.

A Lavender tonic is great for headaches, so he usually has some of that around.

If someone gets a UTI he will make a Ceilp tonic, to help cure and remove the infection.

A fennel tonic is great for purging negative energy from the person who drinks it, you have to use the root.

My father always has an Agrimony tonic around as a wound wash, for cuts or scrapes. He used that for me when I was little and he uses it for my son now when he is babysitting.

A Chamomile tonic is great to have on hand for sleep issues.

I noticed that the three herbs you mentioned were all sedative in nature. Are you having sleep issues?
Sallydreams

Post by Sallydreams »

I was for some time... I have to wake up early, and sometimes it's hard to go to sleep early too. lol

So I've been using Chamomile and Lavender sachets for some years now when I start having sleep problems, Chamomile in general helps with my anxiety, I've found out. Whenever I'm reallyreallyreally anxious I burn loose chamomile and chant a mantra until I feel better. It helps me focus and calm down. I think I'm obsessed with it a bit...

So I just happen to have those on hand... I also have Fumitory herb... that I fail to remember how I aquired it... But I'm a huge herb/Kitchen witch. I hope to some day hone my shamanistic abilities... I've been told by numerous people throughout my life (mystical and otherwise) that I'm a healer, my first calling in my very first life was healing... and now I am just trying to find out what to do about it.

So I get random herbs whenever possible.
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Sallydreams wrote:I was for some time... I have to wake up early, and sometimes it's hard to go to sleep early too. lol

So I get random herbs whenever possible.
I know how you feel, I myself am not a morning person. I could get 12 hours of sleep, but if I have to wake up before 9am, I feel tired. I do have to wake up before 9am, 5 days a week.

You should try growing the ones you use most often, it gives you a connection to them and feels great.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

I have been taught to make tinctures at uni studying naturopathy and herbal medicine...

But i can tell you now, i wouldn't recommend making a tincture out of wormwood as its pretty hard core. Unless u make it as weak as pi$$ i wouldnt make one.

But Stephanie has pretty much covered everything i would have written about tinctures so yeh =D

Pix
Sallydreams

Post by Sallydreams »

Everything I've read about wormwood is hardcore... What are the side affects?
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Hmmm besides death?? lol Severe abdo pain, it has a big effect on the GIT as it irritates the lining... that is how it dispells worms... it can cause vomiting too... just something you wouldnt want to have too much of...
Sallydreams

Post by Sallydreams »

Well yeah... I read that it was a posion and can make you paralyzed if you ODed on it or "Continued a controlled use for longer than a few weeks at a time."

That's why I wanted my hands on it... It's banned in certain areas of the UK. Herb form and Absinth.

I feel like a rebel. lol
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Sallydreams wrote:Well yeah... I read that it was a posion and can make you paralyzed if you ODed on it or "Continued a controlled use for longer than a few weeks at a time."

That's why I wanted my hands on it... It's banned in certain areas of the UK. Herb form and Absinth.

I feel like a rebel. lol
You might want to use mugwort instead. It is a sister species so to speak. Not as severe in effects. Although wormwood is a common ingredient in mint tea. If you do make a wormwood tonic, put some in a spray bottle and mix with water. It makes a good plant spray to dispel pests in the garden.
Sallydreams

Post by Sallydreams »

Whats the difference between a tonic and a tincture?
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

I have always known them as one in the same.

Return to “Potions”