New, confused, but hopeful witch

Say hello and tell us a little bit about you and your interests.
Tiddlyfisher

New, confused, but hopeful witch

Post by Tiddlyfisher »

I started looking into witchcraft a few days ago. Initially it was just out of curiosity, witchery is always seen as a taboo subject, especially for me in my very Christian house.
All my life I was taught that witches are evil and to never "mess with that stuff". Just looking at a pentacle would have my mother in hysterics.
I was a Christian for most of my life, but I never felt a connection. It never "clicked" you could say. Eventually I abandoned it and even began to despise it. And despise religion in general. Up until a few days ago, that is.
Nearly being a legal adult (seventeen now, eighteen on February twenty-first) I decided to sate my curiosity. However, what I found was not exactly what I expected.
While I already knew witchcraft was not the evil practice my family made it out to be, I didn't expect it to make me feel so good. Just reading about it gave me positive feelings. I immediately searched for some candles, a table to call my altar, and I started looking for a leather journal to make into my book of Shadows. For now I am using google docs to record my experiences.
I didn't just jump into this, mind you. I read all I could on the first page I found, which had articles on Native American, Egyptian, and even prehistoric witchery. It was all so enthralling. When I read all I could, I went onto another site, and then another, and they all had the same general advice, the big one being to find a coven or forum where you can learn more from experienced witches.
And so, I am here. I actually joined a different forum at first, but it is not very active, and when I found this, where almost every topic has a post within the last seven days, I joined immediately.

I have couple goals here, which are; gain guidance, gain knowledge, and apply it to myself to gain experience.

Though, this will be a bit of a challenge because no one in my house can know what I am doing, which means I will have limited time to practice, and I will not be able to get all of the tools I would like. I also wouldn't be able to join a coven unless they were hush-hush about it, which is frustrating.

On the bright side, I have a local witchcraft shop that I can utilize once I get a job (which will be very soon).

But, I am also having a hard time grasping anything that I am doing. I'm not sure if I am doing things correctly or not, and when I try searching online for help it doesn't get me much.

With that over, I guess it is time to tell more about myself!

As I said, I am seventeen, eighteen next month. I am also a cis male.
I live in Florida.
I quite like games, reading, and learning.
I despise drinking and doing drugs.
I dislike loud and annoying people.
I dislike people who do not respect others.
I adore my pets.
I enjoy writing.

That's pretty much all there is when it comes to me. I hope to learn much from here!
"Nothing is so good that somebody somewhere will not hate it."
—Frederick Pohl
Kynthia

Re: New, confused, but hopeful witch

Post by Kynthia »

Hi! I just joined as well to learn more :)

Don't worry about getting things perfect, in my opinion it is the intent that matters.
Tiddlyfisher

Post by Tiddlyfisher »

Kynthia wrote:Don't worry about getting things perfect, in my opinion it is the intent that matters.
It seems that way! I suppose it's nice that there is no truly correct or incorrect way to do things, though I sort of wish there was. I enjoy structure.
—Frederick Pohl
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Welcome. It is not necessary to join a coven. Take your time. Read and learn. Take in what resonates, reject what does not feel right, and make your own path. Someday you may want a coven, or maybe you will never want one.
Myrth
Tiddlyfisher

Post by Tiddlyfisher »

Myrth wrote:Welcome. It is not necessary to join a coven. Take your time. Read and learn. Take in what resonates, reject what does not feel right, and make your own path. Someday you may want a coven, or maybe you will never want one.
Thanks for the welcome!

I would join a coven more out of need for guidance than the desire to just be in a coven, which is probably the wrong reason to join a coven. However, that isn't to say I would not enjoy the companionship of a coven.

I am content to remain a solitary witch as long as I understand what I am doing, and currently, I do not very much.
I have been browsing the forum all day and come across quite a lot of information, almost all of it being helpful. I've also been reading Scott Cunningham's Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, which is lovely.

Since reading the chapter on tools, I've decided I need to get what he lists. While I know I don't actually need it, it would make me feel better to have them. Though, I don't think I would get a crystal ball. I would use a bowl of water to scry if I ever decided to.

Hope I'm not rambling too much! I don't have anywhere else to talk about this and I have a lot to say.
—Frederick Pohl
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Hello and welcome!
Myriella

Post by Myriella »

Welcome! While I am new to this forum, I have been a solitary, eclectic witch for the last five years or so. My religious background is actually fairly similar to yours.

As far as tools go, don't worry about spending a lot of money. If you are even remotely crafty, you can make pretty much whatever you would like. For example, my first pentacle for my altar was a piece of petrified wood that I drew on with a pencil. I also used other stones to represent the god and goddess, and I carved a wand out of a fallen tree branch.
Get creative, and don't feel like you need to rush! You are beginning a beautiful journey, so enjoy it! Brightest blessings!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Welcome. Some of the members here are in covens, and some are solitary. Some are out of the broom closet and others are not, for various reasons. I think most of the members who are not out, would expect to have problems with family. So don't fuss and fret about that. Take your time looking around here and asking questions. You don't have to be in a hurry with this.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Tiddlyfisher

Post by Tiddlyfisher »

Rosie wrote:Hello and welcome!
Thank you!
Myriella wrote:Welcome! While I am new to this forum, I have been a solitary, eclectic witch for the last five years or so. My religious background is actually fairly similar to yours.

As far as tools go, don't worry about spending a lot of money. If you are even remotely crafty, you can make pretty much whatever you would like. For example, my first pentacle for my altar was a piece of petrified wood that I drew on with a pencil. I also used other stones to represent the god and goddess, and I carved a wand out of a fallen tree branch.

I'm the least crafty person I know, however I have had a few ideas for my wand, which I won't start building for some time. I tend to pick up things I find on the ground and I have this gorgeous piece of metal that I have no use for, but could finally find a home for at the hilt of a wand.
For a pentacle I have this plant fossil that could easily be carved into, which would work wonderfully with its representation of earth.
I actually searched my yard the other day for a piece of wood that could serve as the base for my wand, however nothing caught my eye.
Something will eventually fall down that I will like, I can't imagine going out of my way to cut down a branch.
SnowCat wrote:Welcome. Some of the members here are in covens, and some are solitary. Some are out of the broom closet and others are not, for various reasons. I think most of the members who are not out, would expect to have problems with family. So don't fuss and fret about that.

It's too bad that we need to worry at all, I already had to come out of a closet once, it's almost silly to think I will need to do it again, this time a broom closet.
I'm glad I'm at least not alone in this boat.
Myriella wrote:Get creative, and don't feel like you need to rush! You are beginning a beautiful journey, so enjoy it! Brightest blessings!
SnowCat wrote:Take your time looking around here and asking questions. You don't have to be in a hurry with this.

Snow
I know I am easily excitable when it comes to new experiences, so I will be the first to tell myself to slow it down! blue_laugh
I tend to keep telling myself "Just focus on this goal, don't worry about anything else, it will come in time."

I look forward to growing here, thank you both for the warm welcomes!
—Frederick Pohl
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

If I may suggest, start your own little journal to keep on hand when you are reading and learning to write down your feelings about everything. It helps me to understand my own opinions when I am forcing myself to put them into words.

And welcome, I hope you find everything here to be helpful :)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Hello. :) If you like "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner", you might also like the follow up book "Living Wicca A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner." Both are very good, as are many of Cunningham's books. :mrgreen:
Tiddlyfisher

Post by Tiddlyfisher »

smogie_michele wrote:If I may suggest, start your own little journal to keep on hand when you are reading and learning to write down your feelings about everything. It helps me to understand my own opinions when I am forcing myself to put them into words.

And welcome, I hope you find everything here to be helpful :)
I have a google doc that I started when I began my journey. It pretty much is just a journal, I'll be saving my spells, rituals, and recipes for when I get my physical leather bound journal, which will be on my birthday next month. I'll be turning that into my BOS.

Thank you, by the way. I am finding everything to be so delightful to read. Even just the responses from one witch to another.
Echo_of_shadows wrote:Hello. :) If you like "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner", you might also like the follow up book "Living Wicca A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner." Both are very good, as are many of Cunningham's books. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to take a look at it once I finish the first. I took a break once I failed the first exercise a few times. I didn't give up, I just felt I needed to let all of the information settle.
—Frederick Pohl

Return to “Member Profiles & Introductions”