*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Use Of Athames

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

Use Of Athames

Postby Witch1693 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:53 am

what do we use athames for? if we dont believe in blood use what is the point of something to pierce your skin with?

Alex
Witch1693

Postby Deirdre » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:59 am

An athame is usualy used to focus energy.
* ~ * Deirdre * ~ *

Just waiting for my mind to catch up with me.
Deirdre

Postby Witch1693 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:03 am

how? i may be sounding juvenile but how do you use it. i bought the most amazing athame in the world. i will try to get pics.
Witch1693

Postby Sobek » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:48 pm

have you ever used your hand to focus or direct energies. basically an athame is used in the exact same way, its a more formal way of doing it though. and most witches ive come across refuse to use thier athame to draw blood. i just use a pin to draw blood. my athame rarely gets used except for the more important things. its just used as a conduit or a further extension. and some also use it to cut certain things in rituals.
Sobek
Banned Member

Postby Witch1693 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:59 pm

ok. well dont wiccans think it is terrible to draw blood? i mean why would god want blood?
Witch1693

Postby Lark » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:11 pm

Witch1693 wrote:ok. well dont wiccans think it is terrible to draw blood? i mean why would god want blood?

While a Wiccan would not use blood drawn from an animal or an unwilling person, there is nothing wrong with using a bit of your own blood given willingly to power a ritual. Think of it, what more powerful sacrifice could you offer to the Gods than a bit of your own life force.

There is no rule that says that you have to do this. But there is nothing that says that giving a bit of your own blood is wrong. I know some Wiccans who make a sacrifice to the Gods by going to the blood bank every couple of months and donating a pint of their blood to help others.

As for the athame. As others have indicated the athame is used to focus and direct energy. One common use for the athame is in casting the circle when the athame is used to "cut" the sacred space of the circle away from the mundane world.

-Lark-
Lark

Postby Sobek » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:02 am

theres nothing wrong with the use of blood. some prefer not to do it but similar to what lark said blood is something that all beings understand. blood come before words, and blood will exist after words. as will the essence of life in other forms.
Sobek
Banned Member

Postby Exilus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:09 am

witch I already sent you a post about blood use in rituals, but I will post some of it here for the rest to see.

Wicca is the only branch of the pagen religions that is not keen on using blood, was my statement but I would now like to revise that as a friend nailed me on it last night. Gentiles don't either.

But through out history all the gods, even the christian god has required some blood sacrifice as payment for the power they give.

The anceint kelts, would sacrifice the blood of their enemies to the gods, The romans invented the Mob and games to honor theirs, The greeks Would sacrifice animals and enemies to the gods, The christians god often tested faith of people by asking them for their most precious and loved, Mostly parts of their flocks, but everyonce in a while he would ask for human life, to test the loyalty of his followers.

In this day and age, we do not kill anymore, but blood still remains to be one of the strongest forms of using your life force, mostly only a bit is required, but even in the old old ways, you used a ritual knife while your athane must remain un blemished and untouched of human blood which contains human unpurities.
Exilus
Banned Member

Postby Witch1693 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:52 am

Well i tend to disagree but thats fine. i understand the whole cutting out the area but why would a god want a piece of my lifeforce?

Alex
Witch1693

Postby Sobek » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:01 am

a blood offering shows that you are willing to include your life force into the magics, blood is a very powerful ingredient. and like i said previously blood is something that everything understands. i can understand why people dont like the use of blood. i only use it for a few things which i rarely do.
Sobek
Banned Member

Postby Exilus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:15 am

It is not so much that they want or need the blood, but more the willigness to be obeyed. Magic is a force of nature, we call it magic, the toa call it chi,(Not a toaist if you are please correct me if I am wrong.) Your blood is the vice that transfers your engergy to the whole of your body.

Not your muscles they would not work with out the blood, Blood is everything to your life and therefore the connection to the forces that it connects you too. When the god asks for blood, they are more asking you to willing give it to connect better with the force you are wishing to use.

Disagree with what? Its a proven historic fact there isnt one religion that is based in Celtic, Anglosax or sematic, (Unsure of orental) that has not in its histroy required blood. Celtic being( Irish, Scotish, and brittian religions, such as druidism, Pagenism, and woat ETC.) Anglo being odinics, Germanictribes, and so on.) Sematic being Jewish, Christian and muslim. Now why would I include those in it. There is a reason when you hae the jewish or the christian you are called antisematic, These religions are actually from a forgotten pagen pantheon worshiped by the sematic tribes of russia and the south of rusasia. This pantheon is forgotten but the things it changed in the world is not. Alexander the great was of this religion as was atilla the hun.

jehova was the god of war on this pantheon, the problem was that as his armys spread so did the words of the war god and eventually the rest of the pantheon faded to the side of the teachings. BEFORE some christian flat out disagrees with me, the pope john paul even admiteed this part of history.
Exilus
Banned Member

Postby Sobek » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:18 am

that was well worded. i have trouble conveying my thoughts like that.

did anyone notice how this post changed course from athame's to philosophy behind blood?
Sobek
Banned Member

Postby Exilus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:23 am

I did. But at the same time its still on the topic, The question was use of the athane to draw blood, and then the tact question was don't wiccans teach against the use of blood, all of which were answered in two posts..lol
Exilus
Banned Member

Postby Witch1693 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:38 am

Ok. my personal belief is that blood use is extrmely animalistic.

Alex
Witch1693

Postby Sobek » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:56 am

and thats all we are, animals.
Sobek
Banned Member

Next

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick