*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

The Hwicce Region

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

The Hwicce Region

Postby firebirdflys » Sat May 16, 2015 11:05 pm

Ran into this interesting tidbit while surfing the www, a region in the British Isles known as Hwicce?... wondered why this area hasn't been mentioned before. It would appear as though the etymology of the word is obscure.
here is a couple links read on....
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwicce
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tribe_of_Witches

And a map :fairy:
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Re: The Hwicce Region

Postby Syroak » Sun May 17, 2015 5:51 am

Very interesting, never heard of it before. Looks like a good point of research for a rainy day though - I'll have to keep these links bookmarked for later!

Blessed be :)
Syroak

Postby AdastraJunction » Sun May 17, 2015 10:03 am

It was an Angelo-Saxon Kingdom in the Midlands. There was a tribe of witches called the Dobunni and Hwicce in that region. Just look up Angelo-Saxon Midlands war and history
AdastraJunction
Banned Member

Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Postby firebirdflys » Sun May 17, 2015 11:48 am

I figured you would have some knowledge of this Adastra,
thing is...how close is this to Wicca? It exsisted in the 500's, and the term wick is of an area. I haven't read the book that is listed but I intend to go find it. It would seem that there was a region of witches?
History is so intriguing.
bb, Firebird
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby AdastraJunction » Sun May 17, 2015 12:20 pm

I do not honestly know much about just just a bit of what I have come across in the past. Its worth a look but I doubt it is actually related to Wicca in any way
AdastraJunction
Banned Member

Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Postby firebirdflys » Sun May 17, 2015 5:20 pm

I guess get a little focused on the derivation of words . smileylove ..ever since I found out the root of the word wic was meaning life
I'm convinced everything with wic in it boils back down to meaning that which we celebrate....being alive!
.course this is just speculation,
:shock:
but I have become convinced that wicce are the ones who have intimate knowledge of that which make the cycle of year a system from which we can learn from and live by...indeed a cult of life and the veneration of it. Yea! blue_flee
FF
firebirdflys

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft