*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Tarot newbie

For discussion and questions about the tarot.

Tarot newbie

Postby Helvetica » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:43 am

Hi there!
I just bought my first set of Tarot cards, which already is atypical for me since I'm rather sceptic regarding the possibilities of predicting the future. Anyway, i was at my favorite book store and they had the sets on display, and the one I now hold in my hands just...idk...called to me I guess. rifled through all of the sets and couldn't put it down again. (it's called Ludy Lescot Tarot).
As I looked through the cards I automatically named them in my head without looking at the actual names, and "knew" the feeling associated with them. Can I go on those hunches when doing spreads or should I stick to the original meanings?
And can anyone advise me on an easy spread to start with?

Blessings
H
Helvetica

Re: Tarot newbie

Postby Kassandra » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 am

Helvetica wrote:As I looked through the cards I automatically named them in my head without looking at the actual names, and "knew" the feeling associated with them. Can I go on those hunches when doing spreads or should I stick to the original meanings?

This is an excellent question.

It sounds like you're a natural. In my opinion that's exactly the way oracle cards should be read, tarot or other cards. Personally, I think a reader should do things exactly that way. I would suggest you continue to build up your own energetic "language" between those cards and your soul. I know that might sound corny (long story that gets into Jungian stuff, dream imagery, etc., but I won't get into all that), suffice it to say, I believe each of our souls develops a unique language, a complete lexicon of its own. We use that to interpret reality as our sense organs receive input. That lexicon is different for each of us.

Later down the line, start learning the "official" meaning of the cards. That has an importance, as well, and eventually you should learn it. Personally, I was never really that interested in that aspect, partly because of my experience in receiving readings from others: I've had readers spouting off flawless "book" meanings for cards during their readings for me, like little parakeets or mini-computers. They'll carefully explain all the numerology, all the esoteric symbolisms ...and it's all quite impressive, and I like that.

But, I noticed some (not all) of them had no idea about the subtleties of where the energy is pointing in the reading --to me, that's the meat and potatoes. They put none of "themselves" into the reading. I've had to bite my tongue from saying, "That's great. But what does your soul say about this? What do YOU see?" If I were interested in what the "instruction booklet" could tell me, I'd have just saved my money, stayed home and looked this stuff up online (the internet is rife with tarot explanations). But I asked a human being because I wanted to know what a human being had to say.

In short, what I'm saying is a lot of readers, I found, are afraid to "get wet" emotionally, so they hide behind their intellect. In other words, they can't connect with the energy of the cards, like you naturally do right off the bat. So, in my opinion, you are waaay ahead of the game if you are already "reading" those cards based on your psychic perceptions of their intrinsic energies. I wouldn't call these "hunches" as you say; I would say you are using actual psychic ability, and that those are psychic "hits," as some call them.

Keep up the good work.

:fairy: bling ~ Have a magical day, now ~

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby firebirdflys » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:47 am

Nice Kassandra...an excellent answer, as always :D
Helvecia...Kassandra is right on about using your gut for answers. Intuit is just that...intuit. If you see something, or sense something from the card, pay attention to those messages. I would also keep a tarot journal to keep your findings in. You will likely be surprised to discover how right on you are when you go back for review and when you actually sit down and study the meanings of the cards. I have been reading for awhile now, and it never ceases to amaze me the different messages I can get from a particular card in one reading and something else in the next. Imagery I never noticed before pops up, and I think hummmm, where did that come from?...I never noticed that!,...those are the kinds of things you are looking for, as well as feelings... overall colors...repeating themes, etc... I fall back on the book only when I am completely stumped....and this is usually when I read for myself (we are not always as objective with our own selves).
The easiest spread I like is 3 cards...the situation...the action to take...the outcome...
I looked at the deck you speak of and it is really lovely...do you find it has some S&M overtones?
Many blessings, Firebird
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

RE: Tarot newbie

Postby Helvetica » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Firstly, thanks for the elaborate answers, they were really helpful :)
I'll try and record what comes out with the spreads.
Oh, and yes, there's definitely an s&m overtone, though the whole set is rather dark, already what's written on the backs of the cards:
Tacitum vivit sub pectore vulnus
The wound lives silent under the chest
...it's also described as "a means to see through the darkness", so that wa clearly intended
Helvetica

Postby Kassandra » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:36 pm

firebirdflys wrote:Nice Kassandra...an excellent answer, as always
Thanks firebirdflys. You're very encouraging.

firebirdflys wrote:I would also keep a tarot journal to keep your findings in. You will likely be surprised to discover how right on you are when you go back for review and when you actually sit down and study the meanings of the cards.
Excellent suggestion.

Helvetica, I might also suggest you get in some practice with your new tarot deck, in the "Free Readings by Members" forum below. It is a practice forum that Starwitch, the owner of this board, created. No one knows who you are, as your ID is anonymous, so there's no need to feel embarrassed, etc. Just jump in. :o

In this thread, Violet Flower Witch expressed how she got a lot of practice doing readings on this site, and went on to study it more in a workshop, etc. She now also posts readings on her personal site, and her YouTube site.
Violet Flower Witch wrote:...through this forum I have gained so much experience and seen that I don't have to use my in-person identity to reach out to others or interact with them in this way. I feel I owe so much to the solicitations in this forum by way of experience and only hope I can continue to participate here doing readings.

Violet Flower Witch's readings in the Free Readings from Members forum are good example of a format to follow (she also goes the extra mile by uploading images of the cards, which is optional, but nice), but do it any way you see fit. Xiao Rong also does some rune readings you might want to check out. Years ago I started doing readings online as well, on a different website (that is now defunct). It was fun. Like Violet Flower Witch, it lead me to other things eventually, like in-person readings, etc.

Peace.

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby -Dark-Moon- » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Great answer, Kassandra and Firebird.

I personally don't see the point of reading with a deck like that ... The images are full of darkness, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I guess people that are stuck in that place in the lower vibrational energies may find them helpful. Different styles of image certainly colour the whole exchange ... I feel the same way about the Crowley deck. And I'm someone who really loves Crowley.... For example I don't like the new Steampunk deck either - I find it 'spiritually cold'.

I really related to what Firebird said about images from one card becoming more or less relevant reading to reading. I agree that this is where the art lies. It's great to have in depth knowledge, but everyone has their style of reading, or flair, that as Kassandra said, gives you the core message you needed to hear, from that person, at that time, in those words. But how far out on a limb can one go at any particular time? I'm very mindful of projection, but some would argue that the person chose you because on some level they need what you project.

Analysis paralysis? It's just a deck of cards... But with all of the combinations of meanings the possibilities for interpretation are wide. I believe the meanings are important to learn and card readings definitely should be tempered with liberal doses of logic and common sense. But perhaps this is the practical Tauren in me...

It's great to get 'extra info' during readings if you're one of those people that just have ideas pop in,... Over time you will learn which of your methods of interpretation are right and which are wrong. So, practice, practice, practice. Handle them often. Speak to them in words out loud. Ask them whatever you want to know, then answer out loud too. It helps with practicing putting it into words. One of the most dynamic readers I ever experienced was of course, a gypsy, who was also in the broom closet at work... After spending a very small amount of time with me she confronted me and asked if I read tarot. Of course, working away from home in the middle of nowhere we both had our decks. She used the traditional gypsy cards which of course looked ancient and were deliciously worn. She says ok we read for each other. She read in the most frenzied fashion, arguing with the cards, talking with them, asking for more information, doing large spreads in multiples. Since meeting her 10 years ago I changed my style to read in a more direct way and a more complex way such as she did simply because her reading felt so powerful at the time... and ofcourse, in keeping with her style there were the usual useful wake up calls in the reading and i had needed to hear that then.

So now I read with more cards, more complex spreads, more room for the overall detail in the message to come through. Also it's amazing how patterns start coming through. At worst the cards repeat themselves, which gives a focus for the important stuff.

Thanks for sharing the deck though - even though I wouldn't read with it for just anyone, I really enjoyed looking through it. It's great you are feeling intuitively with it.

Warm wishes
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
-Dark-Moon-

Tarot newbie

Postby Violet » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:49 pm

I think what keeps me so deeply drawn to tarot is both aspects, the intuitive and the intellectual. I think you were perfectly right to delve into the deck that spoke strongly to you. Building a relationship with a tarot deck is very private and personal to me. My Vampyre tarot deck is a little less socially acceptable than the Angel tarot, but the graphic imagery connects me to it deeply.

I don't think you should feel obligated to learn the "official" meanings until you are done with your personal processing, if ever. They will probably come straight through to you anyway. To me, the most important thing is doing readings for myself in order to correlate my life experiences with the cards. That has helped me learn more quickly than anything.
Violet

Postby Kassandra » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:21 am

Violet Flower Witch wrote:To me, the most important thing is doing readings for myself in order to correlate my life experiences with the cards.
Really good point/tip.

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to Tarot Talk