*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

A Year and a Day: What Should You Study?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

Re: I'm starting my year and a day of studying, I need some

Postby Aceso » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:41 am

Welcome and I too am starting my studies as well. I was given as a gift " To Ride a Silver Broomstick:New Generation" by Silver Raven Wolf. I love it. Other here will give you great recommendations. I wish you a great journey.
Aceso

Postby FoundMyCalling » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 am

I also wish you a great journey.
Being Good does not make you Light, Just like being Evil does not make you Dark
Happiness is a fickle thing, but once you have it you are in for a big surprise.
FoundMyCalling

Postby BabyBear » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:49 pm

I suggest any book by Scott Cunningham or as Ace said Silver Raven Wolf, mainly "The Truth About Witchcraft Today" and "Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham, anothers by Silver Raven Wolf you could check out are"Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation", "Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation" or "A Witch's Notebook: Lessons in Witchcraft".

As for practicing well i did on mine but only beginner stuff and i started out with doing meditation for a few months before doing anything more, in fact i used this site called magickaschool.com to use as a guideline cus they have a free plan/course and it basically gives you a lesson a month with all sorts of info about wicca and everything then gives you homework like month one they gave you facts about wicca history, then for homework they give you suggested readings for the month, two forms of meditation to practice, and a list of topics where you choose two to research more on your own for the month.
BabyBear

Location: Waycross/Blackshear, GA native currently living in Glen St. Marry, FL

Postby FoundMyCalling » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Thank You BabyBear I will check the site out.
Happiness is a fickle thing, but once you have it you are in for a big surprise.
FoundMyCalling

Postby Xiao Rong » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Hey Found,

1. What books would be best to start reading for beginners?

I would echo Baby Bear's suggestion of Scott Cunningham's books, with the caveat that a lot of people don't like him and in your studies you'll probably find a lot of stuff that disagrees with him. His books are pretty good places to start though, and his writing is clear and concise.

You can also find more book reviews in our special book review forum, to see what other people think!

2. Is it okay to do spells and rituals during the year and a day of studying?

Sure! I imagine that any book with a course of study will probably involve doing some spells or rituals (rituals almost certainly, for self-dedication and to celebrate the Sabbats and Esbats).

3. For meditation I could go outside but there is snow and it gets cold fast, would it be okay to meditate inside?

Absolutely! I'm from somewhere up north, and trust me, right now is not the best time of year to be meditating for long periods of time in nature (otherwise you might lose some fingers and toes ... ) There are plenty of meditations that involve, say, looking at candle light or just relaxing on your couch.

4. What websites would you recommend to learn more about Wicca?

Actually, when I first started out, I found http://paganwiccan.about.com/ to do a pretty good overview. There's also lots of great threads on this forum if you were interested.

Anyways, hope this answered some of your questions. Bright blessings during your studies!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby firebirdflys » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:01 am

Dear Found...another member, Nera, is starting her study of the elements as she travels around the wheel of 2014. So besides the book readings, you might want to follow such a path. We are starting with Air...each element study lasts 3 months,
it would be great to get a bunch of folks
sharing their experiences
from the exercises,
or sharing other exercises and projects.
:flyingwitch:

Here is Nera's thread :
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum/year-and-day-with-the-elements-t25690.html#p187168

Blessings, Firebird
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby FoundMyCalling » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:34 am

Hello Fire I'm going to do the year and a day with the elements as well as reading all I can about Wicca.

Blessings,

Found
FoundMyCalling

Postby firebirdflys » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm not sure I can be of help, turns out Nera is on a different elemental cycle.
FF
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

I need some help

Postby Summerlynai » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:35 pm

A year and a day of studying? What exactly is tht? Could yew message me details on it. I think I would benefit greatly from something like that.
Blessed Be<3
Summerlynai

Postby Rainbowkiss » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:13 pm

I would recommend going to Wicca spirituality.com. This website is Erin Dragon song's site and it is one of the greatest wiccan website.
Rainbowkiss

Postby Philomena » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:51 am

I think Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice by Thea Sabin is a great book to work with when anyone starts studying :)
nyctophilia nyc·to·phil·i·a (nĭk'tə-fĭl'ē-ə)
n.
A preference for the night or darkness.
Philomena

Postby FullMoonRising » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi there, these are 2 books I found helpful ;

A Practical Guide to Witchcraft and Magic Spells
By Cassandra Eason
&
A Witch Alone
By Marian Green (A Practical Handbook)

All the best and enjoy!! FullMoonRising
FullMoonRising

Re: I need some help

Postby SpiritTalker » Tue May 22, 2018 9:39 am

Summerlynai wrote:A year and a day of studying? What exactly is tht? Could yew message me details on it. I think I would benefit greatly from something like that.

Rebooting an old topic to add my tuppence. Year-&a-day is a historic custom used by mystery schools & religious houses whereby a novice prepares for initiation with a year-long study of the "Faith". You learn the jargon, foundational beliefs, basic history & get a sense of the calendar rythym the group adheres to. You would do this by reading introductory level books as suggested elsewhere. You should definitly learn the daily maintenance practices of grounding, centering and shielding & counted-breathing meditation.

And speaking of meditation it helps to focus our attention on something rather than trying to quiet the mind by not thinking. The mind doesn't ever really shut down but we learn to control it's wanderings by focusing. If I said "don't think of elephants" you couldnt NOT think of an elephant. To quiet the mind means to control it vigilantly again and again and again. Centering is a good way to meditate.

Operational Craft basics could be divided into related trios & each trio expands on the energy-management theme. Spending a month on each wouldn't fill a whole year.
- Grounding, centering & shielding (these 3 repeat in various forms in our rites & spells)
- Sensing, raising & directing energy; know what the Cone of Power is
- Creating sacred space, circle casting, benefits of a balanced altar arrangement
- Observe the five elements in your daily life and Nature

Religious basics could be broken down to:
- Primal Mother Goddess and Horned God concepts observed in Nature
- Your cultural path-related Deities & their themes & associations - not applicable to eclectics
- Developing your relationship with Deity
- 8 calendar holidays & rituals - add on as desired
- Moon phases

Tips:
Learn how to perform a simple circle ritual - a year-&-a-day is ample time to learn it
Keep a record of any spells you might have done or that you have read & want to try
Use your physical senses to enhance observational skills & your psychic senses will follow

SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Re: A Year and a Day: What Should You Study?

Postby Corbin » Sun May 27, 2018 2:32 am

Get out in natural surroundings on your own a lot, with no time constraints, without thinking a lot - let thoughts simply come and go - and just observe and enjoy nature. Pause. Practice breathing.

Notice and enjoy the simple things. Recognise the things you don't enjoy or like and gently peel them away until you understand the core of why you don't.

Then take that placid observation and apply it to the buzz of everyday life; become a consciousness of observation, an actor not a reactor. Wake up to the world.

While books may educate us or inspire original thought they are wheat and chaff - developing discernement is more important and it is nature which informs us. You can't teach spirit, you've got to stretch out.
Corbin

Previous

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft