*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

something old, something new

Say hello and tell us a little bit about you and your interests.

something old, something new

Postby owlkassidy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:02 pm

hello, all. I'm Owl, or you can call me Kassidy, if you like. I've been a staunch atheist and skeptic for the past ten years...mostly. I've been drawn toward witchcraft and neo-paganism since I was very very young, but I was raised a Christian, and even with my mom's witchy friends and New Age leanings, I never felt safe to fully explore this path. in college, I met a girl who shared with me that she was Wiccan, and it brought all my old feelings back, so I started looking into it again. long story short, my mother and I are now both becoming more involved in the metaphysical and the mystical (thought not in all the same ways). a recent experience has pushed me from a state of constant indecision to finally feeling a pressing need to give this a real shot. I still struggle with believing in some things literally, but my research so far has revealed a much more diverse and open-minded community than I ever, unfortunately, gave it credit for. and I enjoy the use of metaphors, symbolism, and rituals in any case.

anyway, you don't need my whole life story. I suppose to point of all that is to express that, though this is an old interest of mine, in many ways I am new again to thinking spiritually. I resisted Wicca specifically for a long time because...truth be told, I lacked respect for it. and I misunderstood it and its followers. but my perspective has been shifted and I've realized that it's what I've felt the strongest pull toward all this time...so I'm continuing to push that perspective and learn what I can. right now I think I can be best described as an eclectic witch (I have not yet dedicated myself to Wicca, but it is my main focus of study at the moment, and I will probably still end up being very eclectic).

beyond the magic, I am interested in writing, reading, cooking, and technology. I was born and raised in southern California, where I still live. I'm in school to be a software engineer (graduating in a few months!!) and I'm most looking forward to being able to afford a modest house with a big backyard where I can grow herbs and vegetables and connect more often with nature.

I look forward to getting to know everyone :flyingwitch:
owlkassidy

Re: something old, something new

Postby SnowCat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:58 pm

I started out following Wicca, but my resistance to organized religion, and being contacted by multiple deities sent me down the eclectic path. I was raised Catholic, but started questioning Catholicism and Christianity in general when I was twelve. So, I have been wandering this path for nearly fifty years.
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby owlkassidy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:28 pm

thank you for the response, SnowCat. I love your username and your icon.

I tink it is Wicca's ability to toe the line between organized and unorganized that caused me to gain new respect for it. as I read books like Drawing Down the Moon and Buckland's Big Blue Book, I find I like that there is structure there if I need it, but only some members of some traditions would look down on me for stepping outside of that structure, or at least reinterpreting it. as someone who learns best with structure, I feel that, at the very least, it's a familiar and comfortable place to start. Wiccan beliefs echo many of the ideas my mother taught me about the universe when I was younger, but without the references to Christian mythology specifically, and less focus on ritual.
owlkassidy

Postby Blu-Luna » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Warm Greetings and Merry Meet! So glad you found us! I can't say for sure how I ended up here on this path, other than for a force greater than myself, which I contribute to the Lady, as I had a feeling of a great lose and missing in my faith that didn't have room for the feminine, let alone a Goddess.
I love learning about all religions. There is an old saying from the Rabbis: "One who knows only one religion, truly knows none."
I couldn't agree more. There really is so much to learn and know from all faith's and I am still very much learning. I am reading Buckland's Big Book on Witchcraft at the moment. Much to learn here that is for sure! Very good read! Anyway, so nice to meet you Kassidy and hope you enjoy your stay here!
Blu-Luna

Return to Member Profiles & Introductions