*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Several Questions About Books of Shadows

Start your own thread named "[Name's] Book of Shadows" and add spells, rituals, correspondences, music, videos, etc. that you would like to keep for future use or share with others. Use as many posts as you'd like. It's not private, but at least your family won't see it. You can also get ideas from other people's Books of Shadows.

Several Questions About Books of Shadows

Postby MissMae » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:52 am

Hey all! I hope you all are having a great Sunday and maybe last week before school starts again.

I had a few questions and I wasn't sure if I should make a new post, or post it in the general discussion, but I'm not sure if anyone will see it there so... anyways

First, I was wondering about the whole signing thing. I saw somewhere (honestly I don't remember if it was on these forums or not) that people sign the front page or maybe the inside of the cover and then protect it. I'm unsure how I should go about doing that. I found a nice "leather" book in one of my drawers which was untouched which is perfect for now! But I'm super scared to write in it because... what if I mess up? I saw that some people also will put runes or symbols in with their signature but I'm really unfamiliar with all of that so that just makes me even more afraid.

Second, if you saw me at the store or walking around the streets you wouldn't think I was a person who really likes color. But it is so pleasing to me to see everything color coded and obviously separate (because the color shows you what doesn't belong to what). But part of me feels like "oh no. this book is very special, I can't fill it with color"... but can I? Would it be bad if I had just a lot of color and black?

Third, I'm super unsure of what to put in my book (and I don't want to mess up). I know that I want to have something of a mini info section, that has like, the moon cycles, a list of common herbs and crystals, stuff like that (if you couldn't tell.. there's also the minor problem of me not knowing what kind type of craft I want to learn after...) I know I want the majority of the book to be filled with spells, but I also want to make sure I understand why certain things happen in the spells before I write them down. Should I write down stuff like what the craft is to me or like what my goal is and stuff like that? Or can that just be I know that stuff in my head and just make sure I follow it?

Fourth, and finally, thinking about it now, would it be bad to have a binder with an expanded version of it? Or like the binder is the rough draft and the leather book is the final thing? Also, I'm sure some of you are familiar with those black artists' drawing/sketching books which have super nice thick pages, do you think that would be fine to use? (I have like 3 of them just lying around from my art classes, and we only use like 20 pages max.)

Wow that was a lot more than I intended. I might just like... summarize it quickly...
1. Signature, runes, symbols
2. Can I use color?
3. What do I write?
4. Binder? Art books?

Thank you so much for your help! From past experiences (not with these forums) I didn't expect to be helped at all (with my last post). This helps so much and I am honestly so glad I joined, and you know, actually started talking.
MissMae

Re: Several Questions About Books of Shadows

Postby SpiritTalker » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:26 am

You should get on You Tube and look at book of shadows and grimoires ideas. That will give you the freedom you crave to express yourself. The only bad BOS is the one you never let yourself write. Colors and textures abound with free spirit. A BOS is always a work in progress, over years. You put in it whatever you like.

Will the world end if you mess up an entry? BOSs reflect the person who made them. Thus we invented correction tape. Buy a few rolls. Keep your design within your skill level. Use writing materials you know how to handle. Put into your book what means the most to you, and what you want to remember. Record how you interact with herbs or stones if you use them, rather than impersonal lists of other people's so-called properties. Save the reference books for the lists. The books may say one thing, but your experience will be different. That difference is more important than lists. Leave blank pages to add in more as you go. Use sticky-notes to reserve blank pages for when you get there. You don't have to write on the pages in sequence. You can jump between sections.

Ive found it useful to keep a journal in a crappy spiral bound notebook. Once a year I review and transfer the worthwhile things to my leather bound book. Then I use colors & I illustrate my book with sketches I do myself because I want only my own vibes in the book. I have a ritual section with structure format 1st, then my own wording of rhymes for each holiday, chants i use; and I have a spell section with spell format followed by types of spells sorted by each element. I have an experimental recording section in which I track different kinds of energy raising rituals I've done, the variations, and outcome. I don't want to repeat the face-plants in the lawn.

The search function will help you locate other discussions of your very questions.

The so-called signature page, with runes or sigils, is a protection spell. You can add it at any time. There are as many variations as there are authors.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to Member's Books of Shadows