*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

DISCUSSION: Self-Initiation & Self-Dedication

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.

DISCUSSION: Self-Initiation & Self-Dedication

Postby LonelyWolf17 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 am

I am not very new to the Wiccan religion, but I've never truly participated in it. I've been studying it a lot lately and have decided that I want to be a part of it. I don't know if there are any covens where I live, and even if there are, I still want to start out solitary. But I don't know exactly how I should go about performing my self-initiation...I know that each person's initiation is unique to themselves, but are there any basics that are required? Also, I've been a Christian all my life, so I want to be a Christian Witch. Does that matter when performing the initiation?
Blessed Be and thank you for any tips...
LonelyWolf17
LonelyWolf17

Re: My Self-Initiation?

Postby raynelae » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:22 pm

What you would be doing is called a self dedication...not a self initiation. This is something that you should not take lightly at all. If you dedicate yourself to Wicca, it is a very big decision. You must make sure that this is really your path. If you want to be a Christian Witch, that's part of your path and if it feels right then go for it.
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
raynelae

Postby Aryn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm

I've been a practicing Wiccan for years but I've never been comfortable enough to do a self-dedication. I've always felt as though I'm dedicated in my heart, but that the ritual should come when I've got enough ritual practice to be comfortable and I haven't made it there yet. I do hope to when I move out of my parents house this coming year.

Your dedication should be personal to you, I don't think there's any requirement other than to really dedicate yourself in spirit.
Some days it's better just to head for the hills and dance in the rain.

Namaste
Aryn

Postby Truthseeker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:44 pm

LonelyWolf- Merry meet. I would like to invite you to visit a site that is a christian-wicca site- Coven of Christ Ministries. There is also a sister site that offers a free year and a day course and forum for christian witches.(google christianwitch course. If you can't find it I'll try to help. I have found it both very helpful and welcoming. I am not saying leave this one- I love it here as well and thoroughly enjoy the interaction here. there is something for everyone.
Blessed Be~
Stonewitch
Truthseeker

Postby LonelyWolf17 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:35 am

Self-dedication, sorry. :P I've visited different sites and came across self initiation once...must have gotten them mixed up.
Anyway, thanks for the help, everyone. I'm not ABSOLUTELY certain that this is my path, but I'm well on the way to making the decision, and I'm pretty sure I know what it's going to be. I just didn't want to mess anything up so I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything special I needed to do. None of the sites or books I've read really say much.
Truthseeker, thank you so much for the tip. I'll definitely be checking out that site.
Blessed Be, everyone.
LonelyWolf17
LonelyWolf17

Postby raynelae » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:28 pm

If you're not absolutely sure then don't do the dedication...it's something that I'm not comfortable with yet. When it's the right time I'm sure we'll all know :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
raynelae

Postby Truthseeker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 pm

I agree with Raynelae- when it is right you will just "KNOW". It is something I have begun feeling the urge to do and while I have not come to the absolute 'right time' it is on my heart and spirit and I feel it coming. I feel a strong 'drawing' to do it and I feel the time is very soon for me and I know I will "KNOW" when it is right.
Blessings~ Stonewitch
Truthseeker

Postby LonelyWolf17 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Well yes, I will wait until I know for sure. I was just asking ahead of time so that, if there WERE basics required, I would be able to study up on them. I'm still doing some digging and learning, so if I do decide to do the dedication in due time, I will be ready. :)
LonelyWolf17

Postby raynelae » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:38 pm

I suggest looking into Scott Cunningham's self dedication ritual when you're ready to dedicate...it's very unique. :)
raynelae

Postby LonelyWolf17 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:35 am

Really? I've seen his name mentioned on different sites. I guess he writes books or something. Thanks for the tip :)
LonelyWolf17

Postby raynelae » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:15 am

Yes..he writes books. In my opinion, he writes some of the best books on Wicca. :)
raynelae

Postby Truthseeker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:53 pm

I agree. Cunningham's works are staple for me. He is very good. No nonsense and very good instructions and energies to be found in all his books. You can download many of his books at 4shared.com, also Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft, which is excellent and is a kind of course workbook. It is also free to download at 4shared.
Stonewitch
Truthseeker

Postby LonelyWolf17 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks for all the help. I also have another question. One of my friends just found out that I've been reading up on wicca and all that, and even though she knows I'm not a "satan-worshipper" or something like that, she's been on Google trying to look up ex-wiccans. She was on this site run by an atheist who's only experience with the Craft was with those creepy fortunetellers who demand payment and all that...I explained a lot of things to her, trying to convince her that I wouldn't be reading up on this if it was something evil or whatever, and even though she says she knows that, the fact that she's Googling all this stuff isn't too reassuring. It's kind of making me feel bad and really nervous too. I don't like being judged. Any advice on how I should handle it?
LonelyWolf17

Postby raynelae » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Truthseeker, Buckland's Book of Witchcraft is great! Scribd.com also has some free Wiccan books. LonelyWolf, lead your friend in the right direction...lead her to websites dedicated to true information about Wicca such as wicca.com, paganwiccan.about.com, or wicca-spirituality.com Make it a point to let her know that you'll do your best to answer any questions she has. This should help :)
raynelae

Postby Truthseeker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 am

You know at one time I was in the number of (uninformed) people who had no idea what it is REALLY about. Heads are stuck in the sand and fear keeps people from learning. It is up to us to do our best to show people the real deal. All the propaganda out there about witches and witchcraft is just that- propaganda. Designed by ignorant people to keep everyone else ignorant.
Truthseeker

Next

Return to F.A.Q.