* Two sticks butter, softened
* 3 1/2 C flour, sifted
* 1 C sugar
* 1/2 tsp. nutmeg & saffron
* 1 tsp each cinnamon & allspice
* 2 eggs
* 2 tsp malt vinegar
* Powdered sugar

Cut the butter into the flour with a large fork. Mix in the sugar, nutmeg, saffron, cinammon and allspice. Lightly beat eggs, and add to flour mixture. Add malt vinegar. Mix until you have a stiff dough. Knead for a while, then roll out until 1/4" thick. Use a floured glass to cut out 3" circles. Place on greased baking sheet and bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while the cakes are still warm.

Butternut squash and apple casserole

Ingredients:

* 1 small butternut squash (about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs)
* 2 tart apples
* 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
* 4 tablespoons butter, cold
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preparation:
Butter a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Heat oven to 350°. Peel, seed, and cut squash into small slices. Core the apples, peel, and cut into thin slices. Toss squash and apples together. Transfer squash and apple slices to the prepared baking dish.

Combine brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; cut in butter with fork or pastry cutter until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over sliced squash and apples. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350° for 50 to 60 minutes, or until squash is tender.

Apple Muffins

2 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup chopped dried apple*
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 muffin tins. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and add the egg, milk and oil. Stir the ingredients until they are just blended. Do not overmix. Spoon the batter into greased muffin pans, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.

* Dried apples can usually be found in airtight pouches near the raisins in the supermarket.

Golden Herb Rolls

2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
1/4 cup water
4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 package quick-rising yeast
2 teaspoons dried savory leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed, crushed
1 cup canned pumpkin
4 eggs, divided
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 20 to 24 muffin cups. Combine milk, butter and water in small saucepan; heat until butter is melted. If necessary, cool to 120º F. to 130º F. Combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast, savory, salt, thyme and dill in large mixer bowl. Add milk mixture and pumpkin; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in 3 eggs and remaining flour. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place for 10 minutes or until doubled. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling 1/2 to 3/4 full. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place for 30 to 40 minutes or until doubled. Beat remaining egg and brush on top of rolls; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until rolls are golden and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans; serve warm or cool on wire rack.

Pumpkin Pie Muffins

2 cups flour
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
3/4 cup chopped dates (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease twelve muffin cups. In a large bowl, stir together first 9 ingredients. In another bowl, stir together pumpkin, butter, buttermilk, eggs, molasses and vanilla until blended. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add pumpkin mixture and stir just to combine. Stir in pecans and dates.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups; bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean. Remove to wire rack. Cool 5 minutes before removing muffins from cups; finish cooling on rack.

Rye Bread

1 packet yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 quart warm water
3 cups rye flour
2 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 tablespoon melted shortening
9 cups all purpose flour

Dissolve yeast and sugar in the 1/4 cup of warm water, set aside and let stand until frothy. Pour the quart of water in a large bowl, and add the rye flour, salt, caraway seeds, shortening, and yeast mixture. Mix well. Let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, until bubbles start to form on dough's surface. Gradually mix in the all-purpose flour, until the mixture has become a firm dough. Knead on floured board for about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl and let rise until the dough doubles in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Knead again for 10 minutes. Form into 2 loaves and put in greased and floured loaf pans or on cookie sheets for a more natural look. Let them rise again until doubled in bulk, and then bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees.

Jack-o-Lantern Cheese Ball

2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. solid pack pumpkin
1/2 c. pineapple preserves
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 pretzel rod, broken in half

Decorations: Dark rye bread, red pepper, black olive slices, parsley sprigs

Assorted crackers

Beat cheeses, pumpkin, preserves and spices in a medium bowl until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until cheese is firm enough to shape. Shape mixture into a round pumpkin; place on serving plate. Using knife, score vertical lines down pumpkin. Place pretzel rod in top for stem. Cut 2 small triangles for the eyes. Small triangle of red pepper for nose. Slice olives slices in half for the mouth. Cover loosely; refrigerate until serving time. Serve with crackers.

Ultimate Caramel Apples

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
10-inch square piece of styrofoam
6 popsicle sticks or small wooden dowels
6 Red Delicious or Golden Delicious apples
3 ounces white chocolate
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped nuts

In heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine water and sugar. Over low heat, stir mixture gently until sugar is completely dissolved. Increase heat to medium low and cook, without stirring, until mixture is a dark amber color. Remove from heat and carefully stir in heavy cream (mixture will bubble up and spatter a bit, then subside.) Set aside to cool and thicken. Cover styrofoam with waxed paper to catch caramel drippings (this will be a stand for caramel apples). Insert popsicle sticks into bottom center of apples. Dip top half of each apple into thickened caramel. Insert bottom of popsicle sticks into styrofoam, allowing apples to stand upright so caramel runs down sides of each apple. Refrigerate to harden. Meanwhile, melt white chocolate in top of double boiler above gently simmering water; stir until smooth. Transfer melted chocolate to pastry bag fitted with small writing tip. Drizzle thin, random strips of white chocolate over each caramel apple. Repeat melting and drizzling with semi-sweet chocolate. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

After scooping out the insides of your pumpkin, clean the stringy parts off the seeds and rinse the seeds under running water. Let the cleaned seeds dry throughly. Set a few seeds aside to plant in the spring. Spread the seeds on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes or until the seeds just begin to brown (Watch them carefully--once they begin to brown they will burn rapidly) Sprinkle the seeds lightly with salt. Allow to cool and enjoy.

4 medium Potatoes, peeled and boiled
3 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
8 ounces Kale, steamed and chopped
1 Tablespoon Onion, grated

Mash potatoes with butter, salt, pepper, milk and sour cream until light and fluffy. Stir in kale and grated onion. Serve at once.

ROAST LOIN OF PORK

1 Pork Loin
1 small Onion, chopped
1 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 Bay leaf, crushed
1/2 teaspoon Celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon Dry thyme
4 Whole cloves
1 teaspoon Beef bouillon
salt & pepper to taste

Fold 2 large sheets of aluminum foil together with a double fold. There should be enough to enclose the roast. Place roast on foil. Stick cloves into loin and sprinkle other ingredients over top. Enclose roast tightly in foil and cook in 300 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes PER pound.

VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE

Ingredients:
Filling –
1 1/2 packages silken tofu
1 15 oz. canned pumpkin
2/3 cup barley malt syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
Pie Crust –
1 1/2 cups sifted unbleached flour
about 6-7 tbsp. non-hydrogenated margarine
about 2 tbsp. cold water
pinch of sea salt

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Blend tofu in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Pour into a 9" unbaked deep dish pie shell. Bake for about one hour. Filling will be soft, but will firm up as it chills. Chill overnight and serve.
Ravencry

Postby Serendipity » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:22 pm

So... What time should I be there for dinner lol!

These sound great. Thanks for sharing.
Serendipity

Postby reikihealer83 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Ravencry,

Thank you for posting this one. This is lovely. :)
reikihealer83

Re: Samhain feast foods!

Postby ScarlettRose » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:34 pm

These are amazing recipes! I think I already told you this, but the Golden Herb Rolls were delicious!! they were a huge hit on Samhain at my house. I could barely get one before everyone got into them hahah but I love the other recipes too!! I wish I saw these before Samhain, but I think I'll have a cooking day this week and cook some of these. Did you create all of these??
Breathing in I feel gratitude; Breathing out I give thanks.
Breathing in I feel joyful; Breathing out I celebrate.
Breathing in I know compassion; Breathing I am compassion.
Breathing in I feel loved; Breathing out I offer love.
Breathing in I am still; Breathing out I am at peace.
Om.
ScarlettRose

Postby Moonstream » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 am

very interesting recipes! for my first ever sabbat (which just happened to be samhain) i made these very easy and very delicious black cat cookies and brought them to a halloween party. they were very successful :)
Ingredients:
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/3 cup water
2 eggs
1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
small candy-coated chocolate candies
red hots
Preparation:
Beat together peanut butter, eggs, and water. Gradually add cake mix. Mix well. Form dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten balls with bottom of glass dipped in sugar. Pinch out 2 ears at top of cookie. Add small candy-coated chocolate candies for eyes and red hots for nose. Score with a fork to form whiskers. Bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

i get most of my info from paganwiccan.about.com, its very useful. but of course EUTM will always be my fave wicca/witch site :)
"Breathe in the Happy and Breathe out the Crappy"
- Moonstream xD

"Life isnt' about waiting for the Storm to Pass, it's about learning to Dance in the rain."
- Anynymous
Moonstream

Postby Ash Night » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for these!!! I was looking everywhere on the interent for recipes that could be for dinner and dessert for my family on Samhain. This will really help alot :)
Blessed be!
Ash Night

Postby Moonstream » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:44 am

your welcome! :D
"Breathe in the Happy and Breathe out the Crappy"
- Moonstream xD

"Life isnt' about waiting for the Storm to Pass, it's about learning to Dance in the rain."
- Anynymous
Moonstream

Return to Food and Recipes