*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Rowan Wine

Share photos or links to your arts and crafts here. Jewelry, paintings, crafts, graphic art.

Rowan Wine

Postby T'a Nuk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:07 pm

After nearly a year's research on Rowan berries and respective uses, I opted to harvest nearly 50 lbs of them and attempt a wine. In a word, nasty. I followed a recipe I found in a book of brewing and winemaking, and followed it to the letter. The alcohol content is there for sure, but the flavor is reminiscent of paint thinner and Windex. I fermented some blackberries as well, and am considering building a simple still and going for a Rowan/Blackberry brandy. If that doesn't pan out, I will use the remainder to sterilize surgical equipment...
T'a Nuk

Re: Rowan Wine

Postby firebirdflys » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Oh dear, what a bummer. How long has it sat? Doesn't it have to mellow for a year or so? I have never made anything except elderflower spritz, it has about 1% alcohol and only takes a couple weeks, guess it's more like a sweet beer.
I'm inspired by your effort, I wonder if the berries are nasty to begin with? I have never eaten a rowan berry, I hear they have to be cooked or they make you sick.
I like the brandy idea, keep at it! like you said, it won't go to waste, bet you could clean the garden tools as well as the surgical ones!
BB, FF
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby SnowCat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:50 am

My immediate reaction to this topic was, "Rowan whine?" Yes. She does. My oldest granddaughter is Rowan. Some days a mix of Windex and paint thinner is an accurate description of her disposition. She's 14, so hopefully she'll grow out of it.
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby T'a Nuk » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:25 pm

firebirdflys wrote:Oh dear, what a bummer. How long has it sat? Doesn't it have to mellow for a year or so? I have never made anything except elderflower spritz, it has about 1% alcohol and only takes a couple weeks, guess it's more like a sweet beer.
I'm inspired by your effort, I wonder if the berries are nasty to begin with? I have never eaten a rowan berry, I hear they have to be cooked or they make you sick.
I like the brandy idea, keep at it! like you said, it won't go to waste, bet you could clean the garden tools as well as the surgical ones!
BB, FF

Rowan berries are astringent but full of sugar and vitamin c. If you freeze them, it maximizes the sugar content. This stuff has sat about 8 months and it's terrible. Even worse than a 14 year old's attitude. I may try again. It has been advised to mix the rowan with plums or apples.
T'a Nuk

Return to Artwork