*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Reversed card?

For discussion and questions about the tarot.

Reversed card?

Postby Muirìn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:44 am

Ok, this might sound like a silly question but... how do you get reversed card?
What I mean is that, since there's art on the back of the cards, I always know what way is my deck facing. So if I get it reversed, it's kind of on purpose, because it will depend on which way I pick, turn and put my card down... So I'm a little confused :roll:

Thank you!

Bright day to all!
This is no longer my house
it's been claimed by the sea
Claimed by the sea
and it was always going to be...
Muirìn

Re: Reversed card?

Postby Blackthorn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm by no means an expert - I've been doing tarot on and off (mostly off) for over 10 years but I still consider myself a beginner. I'm just now learning about connecting with the deck and that sort of thing- before I was more about learning what all the cards mean, memorizing spreads, but not really connecting with the spirit-side of the deck. Anyway, that's my disclaimer.

My best explanation for reversed cards is, "it just happens!" Some of the decks I've worked with give no indication on the back what way they are facing, but even so I'm pretty careful with organizing my cards so they're all faced up. But I've still had reversed cards. When you're placing your cards, if you pick up a card that looks reversed, don't put it the right way up when you place it in your spread.

Reversed cards, for me, happen very rarely, so I always pay special attention when one shows up. Hopefully someone else can add some more informed insight to your question, but this is just my experience. :)
Blackthorn

Postby Muirìn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:03 pm

So what you say is that maybe I should shuffle my deck (maybe with my eyes closed) around so that some card would be upside down?
Of course, I wouldn't turn around a reversed card, I think the message would be too important to ignore. Just like when a card "fell" off my deck when I was really in need of an answer.

Thank you for the answer and input! :)
Claimed by the sea
Muirìn

Postby RosieMoonflower » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:44 pm

I have one of those decks that do not indicate their direction on the back. I try to shuffle them in a way so that I don't get any reversed cards. However, occasionally they show up. I mainly do this because if every reversed card has it's own meaning, memorizing those on top of the upright card meanings would just be way too much! However, I did download an app that has meanings for upright and reversed cards in a raider-Waite deck. My deck is drastically different from the raider deck however, there are some hints of the raider deck so I enjoy the app. It is from brainscape.com. It was free to sign up and I think the tarot study cards were $1.99.

Reversed cards don't always mean the opposite of the card when it is upright, but sometimes it does.

Rosie [GREEN HEART]
RosieMoonflower

Postby cataluna49 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:00 pm

My deck does not indicate direction when they are face down, so I just make sure to draw the card from the side and to just flip it over, so that the card is revealed but will not effect the direction of being reversed or not.
cataluna49

Postby SnowCat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 pm

I like to keep all my cards facing up as I shuffle. It's a little bit OCD, but it also tells me that the reversed card is in the spread for a reason. I also use a reference guide when I'm doing a reading. I have yet to cram all the meanings into my poor little brain. But I take the general meaning from the reference, as a guideline, rather than an absolute.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby Blackthorn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:08 am

Muirìn wrote:So what you say is that maybe I should shuffle my deck (maybe with my eyes closed) around so that some card would be upside down?
Of course, I wouldn't turn around a reversed card, I think the message would be too important to ignore. Just like when a card "fell" off my deck when I was really in need of an answer.

Thank you for the answer and input! :)

Nope, shuffle it as normal without intending any cards to flip. I never intend for them to be upside down; which is what makes it so startling when a spread has a reversed card, when I've been so diligent with organizing them properly. Tarot cards are funny things. :D
Blackthorn

Postby Muirìn » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:28 am

Well, all of you seem to have tarot decks, but mine is an oracle one... does that change anything?

But even so, I should just shuffle all the card upright, leave them like that, and see if a reversed one turns up?
Claimed by the sea
Muirìn

Postby YanaKhan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:38 pm

I get reversals all the time, but my deck has no indication on the back, so I don't know if it's reversed or not before flipping it over.
And I don't shuffle my deck. I don't really know why. I just pull the cards out of it and when finished, put them wherever I feel like at the precise moment.
And like Snow, I use reference guide too - one for the "normal" position of the cards and another for the upside down ones.
When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!
No battle is over until I win!
"Imagination creates reality". Richard Wagner
YanaKhan

Postby Muirìn » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:02 pm

I do use a guide for my oracle too, to tell me the meanings of normal and reversed cards. I shuffle it a bit before pulling cards, but not after a spread.
I guess the trouble is more about the illustration behind the cards showing me when I have reversed ones :/
Claimed by the sea
Muirìn

Return to Tarot Talk