*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM


Playing Cards in Cartomancy

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.

Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby Jade Rose » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:40 pm

I'm not sure if this has been brought up but here goes (oh dear this is gonna be a bit lengthy):

So, lately I've been very interested in cartomancy and did some research (though not extensive) on some tools (runes, tarot decks, oracle decks etc).

At some point I came across a website (don't remember which exactly, sorry) which stated that the original purpose for playing cards was divination. And how the suits related to the four elements, and again how those related to Astrology.

I do believe in Astrology, synastry, and of course energy manipulation and magick which got me thinking that those connect with each other since we time spells according to the moon phases and in which constellation the moon is positioned. So to me it made sense that playing cards can be used for reading, but at the same time I felt it difficult doing so as opposed to reading Tarot where I sometimes intuitively get the card's message. BTW I don't own a Tarot deck but I usually can tell what a card means because I study semiotics and symbolism, connotations and denotations in an academic setting etc.

Do you guys have any thoughts about this? Any of you tried it?

The reason I'm asking was because I felt slightly (read:extremely) skeptical at first. Nevertheless I thought if I'd channel my energy while shuffling I might be able to get a reading that will make sense to me (despite the lack of imagery). I went ahead and shuffled my deck thinking "Show me males who played/will play a role in my life from the past, the present, and future".

I'll let you know though it's originally my sister's deck that she owned for over 12-14 years, no one has ever touched it but family members, it has never been used for a reading of any kind except for the fact that I did attempt to do so when I was younger but back then I had no idea what each card meant. While she did not verbally say it's mine now, she did leave it for me.

Anyways when doing the 3 card spread, I ended up pulling out a King of Diamonds for the past which typically stand for (as far as I know) a graying man. I then pulled out the King of Hearts which is fair haired with lots of water in his natal chart. And the future card that I pulled was a King of Clubs, a kind man with mostly fire in his chart. The interpretations may vary and I'm aware of that but the fact that all of them were Kings was a bit unsettling.

When I saw the spread I have to admit I got pretty scared at how accurate it was. I figured the King of Diamonds is probably my dad. The King of Hearts a very close friend of mine who happens to be fair haired AND has planets in Water-y constellations. While the King of Spades is this guy I'm slightly interested in and he displays signs of being a Leo, either that or his Ascendant is Leo or he has a lot of fire signs in his chart. I'm really into Astrology if you still can't tell haha.

The second occurrence was while I was trying different ways of shuffling a single card fell out, the 10 of Spades. I put it back in and kept shuffling, it fell out once more I think and by then I thought "well that's scary, enough of this, I'll just shuffle it once more and if it is of any importance it will be the first card that ends up on top of the deck". Guess what, that exactly happened. When I looked up it's meaning, it indicated worry and bad news. I didn't know what to make of it except for the fact that I was worried about my family and I was essentially waiting for a reading regarding them in general.

I don't know what to make of it. I do know they point out to me what's going on around me and they do so very honestly if I could say so myself haha. But I'm alarmed, I'm not going to lie.

I'd really appreciate whatever anyone would have to say. Like seriously, anything that might cross your mind would help. Currently the deck is on my bedside, and has been for the past few days, but I'm quite scared of it. I've only been shuffling lately in order to cleanse it but that's pretty much it. Help? :(
User avatar
Jade Rose
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 am
Gender: Female

Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby Violet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:38 pm

When I was first learning tarot, I uncovered a memory of myself as a child. I played with playing cards extensively, not just playing solitaire, but aligning them in certain ways and making stories and relationships between them. Reading tarot felt like I was getting back to that. It felt wonderful and familiar.

I would say you had a clear sign that divination is for you. I have noticed that when I use a new deck, my first readings are astoundingly accurate. I have felt that it is because my friendly faeries are showing me clearly that I can trust this deck. It sounds like that was what was happening for you.
User avatar
Violet
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Gender: Female

Re: Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby Jade Rose » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 am

Violet Flower Witch wrote:When I was first learning tarot, I uncovered a memory of myself as a child. I played with playing cards extensively, not just playing solitaire, but aligning them in certain ways and making stories and relationships between them. Reading tarot felt like I was getting back to that. It felt wonderful and familiar.

I would say you had a clear sign that divination is for you. I have noticed that when I use a new deck, my first readings are astoundingly accurate. I have felt that it is because my friendly faeries are showing me clearly that I can trust this deck. It sounds like that was what was happening for you.


Reading tarot does feel wonderful! I like how it puts me in a calm mood regardless of what is going on around me.

And I think you're right, when I first posted that thread, I had no tarot deck so I had to make do with my playing cards, but since then I've gotten several decks, and the first readings were always accurate! Except for the occasional times when I knew they needed to be exposed to the full moon's light or cleansed some other way...

Oh, if only I trusted myself enough to do readings for other people. :cry:
User avatar
Jade Rose
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 am
Gender: Female

Re: Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby Violet » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 am

Jade Rose wrote:Reading tarot does feel wonderful! I like how it puts me in a calm mood regardless of what is going on around me.

And I think you're right, when I first posted that thread, I had no tarot deck so I had to make do with my playing cards, but since then I've gotten several decks, and the first readings were always accurate! Except for the occasional times when I knew they needed to be exposed to the full moon's light or cleansed some other way...

Oh, if only I trusted myself enough to do readings for other people. :cry:


If you ever want to give online readings, I'll be happy to be a "guinea pig" and provide feedback for you.
User avatar
Violet
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Gender: Female

Re: Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby Jade Rose » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:53 am

Violet Flower Witch wrote:If you ever want to give online readings, I'll be happy to be a "guinea pig" and provide feedback for you.


Ah, that's so nice of you! Thank you. :)

I'll PM you soon as I get a few things off of my to-do list, I'm looking forward to reading for you. :)
User avatar
Jade Rose
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 am
Gender: Female

Re: Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby Jade Rose » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:53 am

So, Violet Flower Witch! :)

I finally sent you a PM. Sorry it took long... couldn't help it. ;-;
User avatar
Jade Rose
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 am
Gender: Female

Re: Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby Violet » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:46 pm

No problem! I PM'ed you with my query.
User avatar
Violet
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Gender: Female

Re: Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby Violet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Jade Rose wrote:I'm not sure if this has been brought up but here goes (oh dear this is gonna be a bit lengthy):

So, lately I've been very interested in cartomancy and did some research (though not extensive) on some tools (runes, tarot decks, oracle decks etc).

At some point I came across a website (don't remember which exactly, sorry) which stated that the original purpose for playing cards was divination. And how the suits related to the four elements, and again how those related to Astrology.



This is from Doreen Valiente's Natural Magic:

The four suits correspond to the four seasons: spring, summer, autumn and winter. They also remind us of the four elements and the four winds. The two colors, red and black, represent day and night. The 52 cards represent the 52 weeks of the year. The four suits of thirteen cards each, correspond to the four quarters of the year, each having thirteen weeks. The twelve court cards are analogous to the twelve months of the year; and to the twelve hours between noon and midnight.

The face value, or pips, of each suit, from Ace to ten, add up to 55. If we call the Jack 11, the Queen 12, and the King 13, then the total of pips for each suit is 91. Multiply this by 4, and it gives a grand total for the whole pack of 364-- plus 1, the Joker, and we have 365, the number of days in the year!

Furthermore, the four suits of thirteen cards each remind us of the four phases of the moon: new moon, first quarter, full moon and last quarter. These four phases make a lunar month and thirteen lunar months are reckoned to the year.


Valiente proceeds to give the card meanings, which are also here.
User avatar
Violet
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Gender: Female

Re: Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby Jade Rose » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Violet Flower wrote:
This is from Doreen Valiente's Natural Magic:

The four suits correspond to the four seasons: spring, summer, autumn and winter. They also remind us of the four elements and the four winds. The two colors, red and black, represent day and night. The 52 cards represent the 52 weeks of the year. The four suits of thirteen cards each, correspond to the four quarters of the year, each having thirteen weeks. The twelve court cards are analogous to the twelve months of the year; and to the twelve hours between noon and midnight.

The face value, or pips, of each suit, from Ace to ten, add up to 55. If we call the Jack 11, the Queen 12, and the King 13, then the total of pips for each suit is 91. Multiply this by 4, and it gives a grand total for the whole pack of 364-- plus 1, the Joker, and we have 365, the number of days in the year!

Furthermore, the four suits of thirteen cards each remind us of the four phases of the moon: new moon, first quarter, full moon and last quarter. These four phases make a lunar month and thirteen lunar months are reckoned to the year.


Valiente proceeds to give the card meanings, which are also here.


Oh, thank you so much for the link! I'll definitely bookmark it for future reference! It's been a while since I've taken out my playing cards now that I've started the Tarot.

Also, I have *finally* sent you your reading! haha.
User avatar
Jade Rose
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 am
Gender: Female

Re: Playing Cards in Cartomancy

Postby creatrix » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:50 pm

Found an interesting cartomancy video - the cartomancy meanings were passed down over generations...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtcXtzkzhTk
creatrix
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:09 am
Location: United States
Gender: Female


Return to General Divination

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest