*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Petition

Got a joke; A weird story? Like to travel? Like Games or quizzes? Well this is a place for that.

Petition

Postby jeweledgirl12 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Hey guys so this will probably NOT be very popular but I want to start calling witches enchantresses, sorcerers, and the like, because the definition of witch is “ an old woman, usually ugly, using magic to harm and curse others” -the English dictionary. I want to change this because we’re all beautiful, and everyone should know that.
jeweledgirl12

Re: Petition

Postby planewalker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Beauty is skin deep or soul deep. Once in a while - both. Ugly, no matter what the persons outward appearance goes to the bone, mind, and spirit. It twists and rots them.

Sorceresses, sorcerers are guys. You run into the same thing with enchanter/enchantress. If you want to be classy and PC you need roots from both but, something new. I'll see if I can come up with something. Nothing strikes me right off. I hope you have better luck with it.

You should search a wide range of dictionary. Both publisher and copywrite date. That definition is very antiquated.
Be a Bandage on a Suffering and B!eeding World.
planewalker
Banned Member

Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Postby jeweledgirl12 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm

You are correct and I’m sorry. I knew it wasn’t going anywhere when I pressed submit. I apologize.
jeweledgirl12

Postby SnowCat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:14 pm

We don't have to be boxed into a narrow definition. I almost spit my tea across the room at the suggestion of Enchantress. I don't need to be a Marvel super villain.
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby firebirdflys » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Wise woman would suit me, but really am still trying to reclaim the word Witch. I get so furious when it is used in the derogatory sense. That only came along in the last several hundred years. If one wishes to call someone the B word, then use that, it gets in-forced through media in a bad way..
The root of the word is wit, which loosly translates to wise, wit, knowledge...
One could be called a sorceress, that would work. But for me, I identify as a hedge Witch.
Bb, FF
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby planewalker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:49 am

Jeweledgirl12,

Don't apologize. This is the kind of thing we love to work on. Titles go to intent, self-visualization, and as your idea brought up - words have power. That is after all the basis of our stock-in-trade.

Wise Guy doesn't work for me. I can't do a Jimmy Cagney or Joe Pesci imitation to save my life.

I like warlock in its original connotation. If only one side had one it was a "lock" who would win and if each side had one they'd get together, discuss it as gentle beings and they would decide how things were going to proceed, including them getting together and handicapping the match to put things on an equal footing.
Be a Bandage on a Suffering and B!eeding World.
planewalker
Banned Member

Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:12 am

Cunning folk is an old term.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby barker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:30 am

Mystress (self)
Seductress (other)
Enchantress (everyone)

This triad - self, other, everyone - appears all throughout magical experience for example practicing forgiveness as I read here somewhere. You get reality when you complete the three.
barker

Return to Fun things