*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Painting of My Mom

Share thoughts, poetry, feelings about the loss of a loved one (pets included).

Painting of My Mom

Postby Kassandra » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:23 pm

This is an oil portrait I painted of my mom. She passed to spirit a year ago, July.

Today is her birthday. Happy Birthday Mom!!!

(the little kanji/paper on the lower right is a silkscreen proof I pulled in preparation for another project, but I left it there, it kinda goes with the ptg....)
:fairy: bling ~ Have a magical day, now ~

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Purple_Goddess » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:13 pm

WOW what a beautiful painting
Purple_Goddess

Postby Kassandra » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Purple_Goddess.

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Sallydreams » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:20 pm

That looks soooo good! I only paint abstract things because I can never make my shapes look like anything.
Sallydreams

Painting

Postby Kassandra » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Thank you Sallydreams for the kind words.

May I suggest just working on drawing for a year? Then when you paint it will have more structure.

The "skeleton" of a painting is its draftsmanship (fancy word for drawing), even in abstract works; the "flesh" of a painting is the painted surface itself. People are too quick to start with the flesh, before first establishing a sturdy skeleton beneath it. I can look at even abstracted works and tell whether the artist has strong drawing skills or not. The thinking with the artist is that the abstraction will conceal this fact from the viewer. But it never does. So even your abstracted works would benefit from your improving your drawing skills.

Vincent Van Gogh was eager to be a painter, after failing at everything else he attempted in life, including being a preacher. But he first made himself only draw for an entire year. He would not allow himself to touch a tube of paint. In Renaissance Europe, the painting and sculpting guilds would likewise not allow the young apprentices to touch a tube of paint or put their hands on a slab of marble until several years of drawing classes. You had to earn a right to pick up a paintbrush or chisel. That's how seriously they took drawing skills. If you didn't show progress, it was literally "back to the drawing board" for you. While Van Gogh never went to art school, he knew the proper protocol for painting well, included first learning to draw well. So he disciplined himself accordingly.

Haha, but thanks to "modern art," it seems no one cares about drawing skills anymore. Sorry for the little rant. :oops:

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Sallydreams » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:36 pm

That makes alot of sense. You absolutely know what you're talking about. When I was in art classes I was able to paint shapes no problem... since I have graduated I guess my drawing skills have fallen by the wayside.

Usually I jam out to really loud inspirational music when I'm in a "mood" and push paint around until I'm happy.
Sallydreams

Postby Kassandra » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:49 pm

I know what you mean. Like anything else, one loses a certain edge when one doesn't practice regularly. I really should draw more. The painting class I'm taking starts in two weeks. Someone asked me to do illustrations for a kid's book he's looking to get published soon. Hopefully the class will help me get back in gear.

Sallydreams wrote:Usually I jam out to really loud inspirational music when I'm in a "mood" and push paint around until I'm happy.

That sounds really fun. I think I'll try that!

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Sallydreams » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:50 am

You totally should. It's the best therapy ever.
Sallydreams

Postby RAWRwiccan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:58 pm

IT'S AMAZING!! i almost cried when i saw this
RAWRwiccan

Postby Kassandra » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks RAWRwiccan for the kind words. I've really been feeling her spirit around me the last few weeks, and I did cry, actually. Happy memories, though. She was a light.

Odd, I don't connect with my dad's family members who are in spirit at all (save for one uncle whom I was close to, and that only ocassionally). No grandparents, nothing. It's odd.

Thanks again.

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby bluemoon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:04 pm

what an amazing way to honor your mother

several years ago I lost a baby daughter and that first year was very difficult......one evening as my son lay sleeping I drew him and still to this day when I look at the drawing I think of both my living son and my departed daughter and know she is always in my heart

thank you far sharing you painting, she is beautiful
Be responcible
To yourself
For yourself
bluemoon

Postby Kassandra » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:14 am

Condolences for the loss of your baby girl. Glad drawing was cathartic in its own way. Making music can be that way too. I was glad later that I painted this because she never really had a portrait done of herself when she was alive.

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Re: Painting

Postby firebirdflys » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Kassandra wrote:Thanks to "modern art," no one cares about drawing skills anymore.

I often think (or really worry) ....that some day a teacher will be holding a paint brush in a class of art students...sometime in the future...and say, "does anyone know what this is, or how to use it????"

This is just fabulous! Kassandra, you did such a nice job, a really lovely tribute to your Mom. I'm sure she would be so proud.
happy painting anniversary, and blessings on the upcoming anniversary of her birth :fairy:
Many oxoxoxox, Firebird
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby Kassandra » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks firebirdflys. I'm getting all verklempt. lol It's so coincidental you'd post this comment here. This is the time of year of Obon festivals, which to me is kind of a Japanese version of the Samhain of Eurocentric paganism, and the Halloween of Christians. In Japan, this is when people visit their ancestors' graves to clean it, etc. They have festivities and believe the dead ancestors are participating, as well. Then, to guide the dead back home, they light lanterns and place them in the water. Starting tomorrow, the Buddhist churches in the region where I live will being hosting Obon celebrations.

This was one of my mom's absolute favorite times of the year. When she got old and couldn't drive, I would drive her to the local festivals. She danced and danced, haha, good times. It's so interesting you posted this post on this day, in this month, on this thread, lol. I feel like my mom is saying hi to me through you. Thanks.

Dancers - aerial view.jpg
Celebrating life by dancing with the dead.

lanterns.jpg
Then saying goodbye to the dead, as lanterns lead them home.

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby firebirdflys » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 pm

I LOVE the Obon festival!!,...the drumming is super magical
Ya...it was kinda weird, I felt compelled to pull up that picture today...love you dear :kiss:
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Next

Return to In Memory Of...