*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Online Research is Easy! Really, it is!

Online Research is Easy! Really, it is!

Postby Serendipity » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 am

One of the things that separates Wiccans/Witches/Pagans/and so on, (for this article I'll just use the term Pagan to keep it simple, if not totally accurate) from those of other paths is our desire to chart our own course. To define our own place in our own Pagan system.

That is a good thing as it leads us to find "truths" (for lack of a better word) that hold more meaning for us than "truths" that others are given, spoon fed if you will, by someone standing on a pulpit.

But that means we have to do a little more work and research on our own than those folks who simply go and sit in a pew and listen to others once a week or so.

It can be tough going sometimes but it is worth the effort. Here are some tips to make it a little easier if you're doing some of this research and learning online.

Lets start with herbs.

Now the easiest way to do this is to open multiple browsers, but if you can't do that just do each of these one at a time and either print out the info you want to hold onto or write it down.

Here are some things you can put into your search engine. Always start with the most general topic, for this example we'll use mugwort, so the following things will each be typed into your search engine:

Mugwort

Mugwort Latin Name

Mugwort Medicinal Properties

Mugwort Magical Properties

Mugwort Commercial Uses

Mugwort History Of

This list of 6 topics will yield literally millions of results. I usually don't read past the first 3 or 4 pages though simply because the information gets less and less relevant as you move down the list of pages.

Now let's move onto deities.

Lets say you want to know more about the Greek Pantheon.

Go to your search engine and type in:

Greek Pantheon of Deities

Ancient Greek Gods Goddesses

Once you've done this you can continue to open new search engines (or print out the information you want to follow up on) and broaden your research based on interesting information you've found on the pages these two searches revealed.

This approach will work for any topic.

Just start with the most basic information and then broaden your research based on information you find as a result of that basic search. Sometimes, depending on the search engine you're using you don't even have to spell the word correctly. Your search engine will offer you corrections and all you have to do is to click on the correct spelling.

Put any questions about this here and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help on how to research anything that you're having trouble with.
Serendipity

Re: Online Research is Easy! Really, it is!

Postby shatteredsouls » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Google is our best friend ;D
shatteredsouls

Postby HopefulChild » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Was this thread created as a response to people who joined just so they could have everything explained to them?

Cause I will admit that is a pet peeve of mine.

The great benefit of forums is the ability to write at length about things that you want broad opinions on, or differing points of view.

Ranting is best left to a blog/vlog/facebook. If you just want your opinion known use facebook.

If you want to discuss a topic or hear opinions about a topic, then a forum is the second best place for that beyond face to face.

Thanks.
HopefulChild

Postby SnowCat » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:34 am

I wasn't here when this thread was started almost five years ago, so I don't know why it was started. The initiator was only active here for a month, so perhaps this forum wasn't a good fit. A search feature is available here on the forum, and members are encouraged to utilize it. If the information one is seeking isn't found, questions are encouraged.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby mrsdavid1975 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:43 am

Google only gets you so far. People want to talk to other people regarding PERSONAL experience.

THAT is why we have forums.
mrsdavid1975

Return to EUTM Rules and Announcements