*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

New to wicca

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

New to wicca

Postby treespirit » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:45 pm

I am new to wicca and would like any information on this subject. I would appriciate any information- books, websites, ect. that could help me. Thanx
treespirit

Postby TheFireWithin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:39 pm

Hi!

First I'd like to ask, are you the religion Wicca, or a Pagan?

Second, it's wise to learn how to meditate, as it can improve positive energy flow. Here's a website: www.thethirftypagan.com/Meditation.html

Third, magic isn't just saying a bunch of words and lighting a couple of candles. You need to feel what you want. I can't just want to banish someone because the called me stupid. Usually, unless your really feeling what your trying to do, it won't work. Magic isn't all about tons of candles or anything.

Finally, not to offend you, but rather to let other people learn from my mistakes. Don't contradict anyone's religion or beliefs.

And of course check out everythingunderthemoon.net.
Live
Love
Life
Happiness
-Mallory
TheFireWithin

Postby hedge* » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:31 am

Hello and welcome

reading is your best bet at this early transition, here's some good links that you might like to take a look at

http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wicca/wicca0.htm

http://www.religioustolerance.org/witchcra.htm
hedge*

wicca religion or pagan?

Postby treespirit » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:24 pm

[quote="TheFireWithin"]Hi!
First I'd like to ask, are you the religion Wicca, or a Pagan
Second, it's wise to learn how to meditate, as it can improve positive energy flow. Here's a website: www.thethirftypagan.com/Meditation.html
I am a pagan who practices wicca as well as other pagan religions. I try to keep an open mind. Thanx for the website, meditation is what I'm focusing on right now,it will help.
treespirit

Postby spinneyhex » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:17 am

hi i think i might have posted this one on your intro but here you are again just in case http://wicca.timerift.net/
spinneyhex

Postby [Enlightenment] » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:07 am

Merry Meet,

Welcome to the board! I think you've already come to the right place, this website and forum is jam packed with info on Wicca, Paganism, etc, etc, etc. Take a look around and see :wink: and don't feel shy to ask anything you want.

Blessings!
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***
[Enlightenment]

Postby Shadow_Kitten » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:04 am

Scott Cunningham's 'Wicca: A Solitary Practitioner' is a good book for noobs. He has a sequel called 'Living Wicca: A Further Guide To The Solitary Practitioner' I haven't read it yet but I've heard it's really good!

Kate West writes some great stuff too.
Shadow_Kitten

Postby Baratoz » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:36 pm

LilMizPiper wrote:Scott Cunningham's 'Wicca: A Solitary Practitioner' is a good book for noobs. He has a sequel called 'Living Wicca: A Further Guide To The Solitary Practitioner' I haven't read it yet but I've heard it's really good!

Kate West writes some great stuff too.

It is a good book. Penczak is a good author too. Basically, anything by those two are good.
Only through silence can we truly hear the words of the Goddess and God.
Baratoz

Re: New to wicca

Postby SpiritTalker » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:43 pm

Cunningham's "Wicca a Guide for the Solitary Practioner" is available in free PDF online. A pretty good starter spell book under $7 is Lisa Chamberlain's "Wicca Book of Spells" & she has additional variations of just herb, candle & crystals. This EUTM site has a WC & Wicca 101 teaching section.

Below are baseline tips to help sort things out. :D

Basic Wicca
.There is no ultimate authority in Wicca. We study mythology & lore. Some texts are The Wiccan Rede, Witch's Creed, Witch's Rune, Charge of the Goddess, and Legend of the Descent of the Goddess.
. Nature is generally perceived as divine through two forces: The Goddess and The God who go by many names.
. Wicca generally guides the experience of Deity-in-Nature through ritual observance of seasonal cycles at the Sabbats Samhain, Imbolc, Beltane & Lammas, Equinoxes & Solstices & at full moons (Esbats).
. The use of the ritual circle, the altar, the ritual tools, & spell-craft are part of Wiccan practice. You do not have to work with a specific deity to be Wiccan.

Build your witch’ skills
. Practice grounding - connecting your energy down the spine to the earth; centering - draw power on the breath from Earth & Sky into the belly; projecting - push focused energy from the belly & out your hands. Experiment with your palms facing to feel the spongy resistance. Shake your hands to clear the energy.
. Teach yourself to focus by gazing at a candle flame until it’s all you see. Observe motion & color changes. If your mind wanders just return attention to the flame. Practice 10 minutes daily. Add breath work to meditate.

Build your starter kit
. Test the use of a few kitchen herbs. Rub each between your fingers, then smell & taste each. Notice your reactions. If you were drawn to the herb then use it for blessing & attraction, or if you pulled away then use it for protection & banishing. Rosemary can substitute for any herb.
. Collect a few palm-size stones from different outdoor places. Notice markings & if they are easy to hold. Water smoothed stones can be used for healing, single-banded stones for wishing & stones criss-crossed by lines for path finding. Hold/stroke a stone with the desired goal while chanting to influence conditions. A hagstone with a hole clean through it is thought to be good luck. Quartz is all purpose.
. Basic gear: heat-safe bowl, incense - candles, holders, oil - potion cup - salt - represent the Elements

Prepare sacred space
. A simple circle holds your energy & keeps interference out
. Start & end each pass at north. Simple circles will dissipate when walked through
. Broom-sweep a circular area <~widdershins to cleanse, then point & walk deosil~> to project energy circle. See it in your mind.
. Say: Out t’out & round about, all good in & all bad out. / As I walk the circle is cast, guarding all & holding fast. (ref. S. Cunningham & D. Valiente)

Make your workspace personal
. Wiccan altars will usually have symbols of Deity & nature’s land, sea, sky & fire
. Ritual tools represent nature’s elements - air-wand, fire-blade, water-cup, earth-pentacle
. It's OK to use household dishes as tools; many witches make some of their tools
. We can choose not to use a tool or substitute with similar symbolism; it's OK to substitute battery candles & aerosol mist if flame or incense smoke are problems
. There's no rule that gear must come from witchy shops or copy any particular style
. Add devotional & colorful seasonal decor as you like

Re - spells
. Select materials related to the goal by element, property, appearance, color, scent, symbolism or contact
. Use wording in positive phrases, present-tense (It-is & I-have), & don't say what you don't want
. If you’re stumped simply say, "Air, earth, water, fire; work you now to my desire. For the good of everyone, so now it is done"
. Know your goal: to attract, to repel or to empower something; feel it in the belly & push through the hands
. Keep the altar elementally balanced for good results
. Don't cast when you're sick or furiously angry because the energy we send returns in kind
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick