*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM


Necromancy

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

Necromancy

Postby Ashrend » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm

I wanted to know what this means to you? As in do you think necromancers lraise the dead to do their bidding and "dark" magic, or is it more like settling the restless spirits of the dead back to peace? Or something else entirely? I have been drawn to this side of things , even more so with being drawn to Hekate and want to learn more about it without raising or releasing things better left alone
User avatar
Ashrend
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:06 am
Location: Devon
Gender: Male

Re: Necromancy

Postby L.J.Hex » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm

I have never even thought of doing anything of this sort, the sort of "dark" stuff I used to do was something different.... But its very interesting subject to have a discussion on. I wonder what real life use it would have. I doubt anyone around here has raised an army of undead? :lol:
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
User avatar
L.J.Hex
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 6:29 am
Location: A land far away up north
Gender: Male

Re: Necromancy

Postby Ashrend » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:27 pm

L.J.Hex wrote:I have never even thought of doing anything of this sort, the sort of "dark" stuff I used to do was something different.... But its very interesting subject to have a discussion on. I wonder what real life use it would have. I doubt anyone around here has raised an army of undead? :lol:
If you don't mind me asking what other "dark" stuff did u used to do? An army of undead in this day and age would be amazing XD
User avatar
Ashrend
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:06 am
Location: Devon
Gender: Male

Re: Necromancy

Postby SpiritTalker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:34 pm

The dictionary defines necromancy as the supposed ability to communicate with spirits of the dead, especially to predict the future.

I'm a medium so I communicate with the dead for what it's worth, meh. I've never asked anyone's expired relative to tell where they'd hidden their rainy-day coin stash or the family silver nor have any contacts volunteered the information as a bequeath to descendants. My late dad did once pass along a message in a dream that my sister needed help & was right. Situation dealt with & much appreciated, dad. I get my own premonitions & do my own divinations for clarity. Necromancy includes divination & scrying. It can include pacts or maybe coercion. Just my opinion but it seems to me that forcing great Aunty Em to make disclosures is only going to piss her off so I don't want her poking around in my future, thankyouverymuch. I also see no special reason why an unwilling spirit would have better divinatory ability dead than when they were alive. I could be wrong. There's a lot I don't know. If i understand a'right, the old ways saw things with a more under-worldly flow of communication & conceived that shades and Fae were kin. And would you really want to try forcing the Fae? Me neither.

Raising the shade of the dead doesn't appeal either. How are you going to get the genie back in the bottle? Sit! stay! You'd've had to pluck them out of the space-time wave and put them back or be stuck with them - PO'd and ornery. I'd rather not. Raising a shade is also a term for summoning apparitions & apparently uses the energy body of the medium for the spirit to take form. You can guess that's not going to go well for the medium in the long run.

So what do you do? When you're asked for assistance you offer what you can to ease the road for another. Sometimes the grieving need to know that life doesn't end & other times they need reassurance that the deceased isn't coming back. The deceased may want to remain out of concern for those left behind or from fear caused by their beliefs of what awaits, or they just don't get it that they passed. Basically a medium is a councilor & gives aid.
User avatar
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:51 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Gender: Female

Re: Necromancy

Postby Xiao Rong » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Moderator note --

Necromancy is not inherently "dark" magic -- many Pagans engage in ancestor veneration or communicate with the dead. Please do note that some topics are not permitted at EUTM (including, but not limited to, curses and summoning demons); the mod team will remove such content.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
User avatar
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: New England
Gender: Female

Re: Necromancy

Postby SpiritTalker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:05 pm

Ashrend wrote:
L.J.Hex wrote:I have never even thought of doing anything of this sort, the sort of "dark" stuff I used to do was something different.... But its very interesting subject to have a discussion on. I wonder what real life use it would have. I doubt anyone around here has raised an army of undead? :lol:
If you don't mind me asking what other "dark" stuff did u used to do? An army of undead in this day and age would be amazing XD



An army of undead is voted into & out of office every 2-6 years. :roll:

I just couldn't resist that. Please continue ...
User avatar
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:51 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Gender: Female

Re: Necromancy

Postby LC » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 pm

From what I understand, it is communicating with spirits not raising the dead. I can’t remember correctly, but the name originated from Greek or Romans
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
User avatar
LC
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:19 am
Gender: Female

Re: Necromancy

Postby L.J.Hex » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:37 am

SpiritTalker wrote:
Ashrend wrote:
L.J.Hex wrote:I have never even thought of doing anything of this sort, the sort of "dark" stuff I used to do was something different.... But its very interesting subject to have a discussion on. I wonder what real life use it would have. I doubt anyone around here has raised an army of undead? :lol:
If you don't mind me asking what other "dark" stuff did u used to do? An army of undead in this day and age would be amazing XD



An army of undead is voted into & out of office every 2-6 years. :roll:

I just couldn't resist that. Please continue ...


Hahahahaha, awesome. :mrgreen: Sooooo right. Holds true in here too.

Ashrend, if I answer that question in length, I will be violating the rules of this forum, but the things I used to do had to do with energy vampirism and kind of entities that no one should mess with if they appreciate their health and well being. Oh boy, I was young and stupid back then. Now I'm just older and stupid, but at least I don't mess with demons any more.

Army of undead.... Yea, I see that army every day, but these days the walking corpses hold smart phones.
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
User avatar
L.J.Hex
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 6:29 am
Location: A land far away up north
Gender: Male

Re: Necromancy

Postby firebirdflys » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:14 pm

L.J.Hex wrote:Yea, I see that army every day, but these days the walking corpses hold smart phones.
Here here. Zombies all of them!

Hey have you heard of the Necronomicon? It's fiction but may interest you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necronomicon

BB, FF
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
User avatar
firebirdflys
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 12:03 am
Location: So. Cal.
Gender: Female

Re: Necromancy

Postby Ashrend » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Interesting thank you all
User avatar
Ashrend
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:06 am
Location: Devon
Gender: Male

Necromancy sources

Postby Ashrend » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 am

Anyone have any sources where I can learn more about necromancy?
User avatar
Ashrend
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:06 am
Location: Devon
Gender: Male

Re: Necromancy sources

Postby SpiritTalker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 am

Scout out amazon for book leads. Look under mediumship & divination. Or just look up necromancy. I didn't learn from a book but with a study group & from the spirits through trance-speaking & dreams so can't recommend any titles. I've just never looked for necromancy so you can do that as well as I could...now im curious though. Hmm. Old fashioned grimoires used raising shades in practices that are unsavory (if not illegal) today but there's nothing to stop you reading them. I've read a couple texts that are cringe worthy & wouldn't recommend them to my dog, except as a chew toy.

Edit: so, I just looked at Amazon's offerings on necromancy & see there is one by Christopher Day (not Penczak as I'd mistakenly thought) "Witches Book of the Dead." Give me a few hours because somewhere I think i have a copy in my TBR stack. Later today I might be able to work up a book review by browsing it.

Edit: brief commentary now posted in book reviews so you can see if that's the type of activity you're drawn to.
User avatar
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:51 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Gender: Female

Re: Necromancy

Postby Ashrend » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:09 pm

SpiritTalker wrote:Scout out amazon for book leads. Look under mediumship & divination. Or just look up necromancy. I didn't learn from a book but with a study group & from the spirits through trance-speaking & dreams so can't recommend any titles. Ive just never looked for necromancy so you can do that as well as I could...now im curious though. Hmm. Old fashioned grimoires used practices that are unsavory (if not illegal) today but there's nothing to stop you reading them. I have read a couple that were cringe worthy & wouldn't recommend them to my dog, except as a chew toy.

Edit: so, I just looked at Amazon's offerings on necromancy & see there is one by Christopher Day (not Penczak as I'd mistakenly thought) "Witches Book of the Dead." Give me a few minutes because somewhere I think i have a copy in my TBR stack. Later today I might be able to work up a book review by browsing it.

Edit: brief commentary now posted in book reviews so you can see if that's the type of activity you're drawn to.
Thank you that's really helpful
User avatar
Ashrend
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:06 am
Location: Devon
Gender: Male

Re: Necromancy

Postby L.J.Hex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 pm

firebirdflys wrote:
L.J.Hex wrote:Yea, I see that army every day, but these days the walking corpses hold smart phones.
Here here. Zombies all of them!

Hey have you heard of the Necronomicon? It's fiction but may interest you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necronomicon

BB, FF


Oh yea, I'm familiar with the name of the book, but never had chance to read it. Would be interesting for sure. :)
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
User avatar
L.J.Hex
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 6:29 am
Location: A land far away up north
Gender: Male

Re: Necromancy

Postby firebirdflys » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Well, I don't believe that this book exists in the physical world. It was a grimoire that Lovecraft wrote about in his books.
but look around I think people have tried to put something together.
here's a really great ditty a wonderful young man we know wrote,
[WARNING MAY BE TRIGGERING TO SOME, sensitivities to apocalyptic themes]
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
User avatar
firebirdflys
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 12:03 am
Location: So. Cal.
Gender: Female

Next

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests