*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Native language

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

Native language

Postby Betweentwosides » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:01 am

Hello everyone!

I was looking for spells that may be useful for me to something, but I can't find any spell in my native language (Turkish).
All of them are in English and English isn't my native language.
Should I continue to translate them into my language as well or?
:( :cry: :oops:
Betweentwosides

Re: Native language

Postby SnowCat » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:07 am

You could translate the spells, and then reword them as needed to be exactly what you need. Spells are a guideline, more than being something that you have to follow word for word.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby Bychan Wulf » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:57 am

If you speak English fluent and natural, even if it's not your native language, I think you can use them like that or make small changes in order to personalize them. The Deities understand all the languages, you just have to say what you have to say from your heart and in the language that comes to mind.
English is not my native language either, so I make my prayers, talkings to the Deity and spells in 3 languages as it is easier to make rhymes and it never failed me :-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Bychan Wulf

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

I agree with what's been said...it does not matter what language you use. What matters is that you know what it means. It's your intent, your will, your belief that gives the words power.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby moonraingirl » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:45 am

Agree with everything that's been said. Use the language that feels natural to you. If you find it hard to pray in English you can translate into Turkish. You can either do it precisely, or even better, get the main idea and create a poem in Turkish that has a similar meaning, but doesn't have to be exact translation.
If English seems natural to you, there's no need to translate.
Just do what feels good for you :)
moonraingirl

Postby Bychan Wulf » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:12 am

If you make your own spells,you could also look for ancient words in the language you cast them in. The old words thar are not in the usual vocabulary can make your spells more "special" and you feel more witchy.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Bychan Wulf

Postby moonraingirl » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:57 am

Bychan Wulf wrote:If you make your own spells,you could also look for ancient words in the language you cast them in. The old words that are not in the usual vocabulary can make your spells more "special" and you feel more witchy.

This is so true! Praying the rosary in Latin felt very powerful and more spiritual to me. I guess it's because words in my native language are linked to too many "wordly" emotions and experiences, but praying in an ancient language using words that have only spiritual meaning to you makes the experience feel unique and special.
moonraingirl

Postby Bychan Wulf » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:40 am

Latin makes everything more magical as it is a dead language which is also used in most movies with witchcraft and mostly in those with summonings.

You can find ancient words in your native language too. The pagans that lived in your country before Christianity had their own dialect which can never be lost. Different regions of each country still use those words,without knowing their actual origin.
Bychan Wulf

Postby Kassandra » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:21 pm

Turkey is a place that is really rich with magical heritage. I think the advice given on this thread as regards language and magic is very good. Sanskrit is another "dead" language that, like Latin, is very much alive energetically-speaking.

:fairy: bling ~ Have a magical day, now ~

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
Kassandra

Postby Betweentwosides » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Wow, Kassandra! I didn't know that my country has such amazing things like that! How can I find Information about this? I know that before us and before Islam, there was a Religion, which called Shamanism (the same with what we are talking about, I guess)

Also thank all of you for your help :)
Betweentwosides

Postby CleverlyDisguised » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:26 pm

I love Latin and learning Sanskrit would be cool I would think
CleverlyDisguised

Postby moonraingirl » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:00 am

Betweentwosides wrote:Wow, Kassandra! I didn't know that my country has such amazing things like that! How can I find Information about this? I know that before us and before Islam, there was a Religion, which called Shamanism (the same with what we are talking about, I guess)

Also thank all of you for your help :)

I don't know about Turkish neopaganism, but try googling using your native language terms. Such as traditional Turkish beliefs, or google about old traditions you know about and hope that you will get to similar links about things you are not familiar with. Perhaps you will eventually be guided to more extensive literature, forums or podcasts/youtube videos.

Another way would be to start reading your national fairy tales and legends. I'm 100% sure you will discover new things there. There must be mentions of magical creatures and pagan customs.
Also, do you have old authors who wrote about Turkish farmers/pesants? Most old Slovak (my country) literature is about lives of farmers and you can find mentions of old traditions. The question is if you are willing to read classical literature :)

I just looked at the map and I see that ancient Mesopotamia was close to Turkey. You will be able to find many sources because they were a really famous empire. Maybe you can find similarities with Turkish heritage.

Here is a list of ancient cultures in your area, perhaps you can google "mythology of name of the nation" and see what you get. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... f_Anatolia

I hope you will be able to find more about your national heritage. Maybe you are like me, I didn't even try googling about my national spirituality because I thought I would not find anything. I was only used to English sources and that, for me, never felt right because while I do like and respect foreign mythologies, they will always be foreign to me.

I wish you good luck with finding your roots!
moonraingirl

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft