*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Malachite Jewelry?

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.

Malachite Jewelry?

Postby Xiao Rong » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey everyone -- question for you! I have a covenmate who was diagnosed with breast cancer. Someone recommended that she wear malachite, since it's good for drawing out excess negative energy (kind of like a sponge) and for clearing the heart chakra. I picked up some tumbled malachite that is really beautiful and I'd love to wrap it for her as a pendant.

However, I've read in various places that malachite can be toxic -- mostly when you breathe in the dust when it's being cut, but also possibly when it gets wet. Since it's tumbled, that's probably not so much of a problem, but I'm concerned that if it gets scratched or wet, then maybe it'll be harmful to wear? (last thing I want to do is give my friend more health problems to worry about!) I'm wondering if anyone wears malachite jewelry or has any experiences/knowledge to share on the subject? Thanks!

Xiao
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Malachite Jewelry?

Postby SpiritTalker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:41 pm

It has copper, if I remember right. Copper (sulphate?, I think) is used in drain lines to kill intrusive roots. Burying a handful of real copper pennies beneath a sappling can kill its roots too (a plumber gave me that tip). A single malachite pebble pulverized to a powder and soaked then consumed would be harmful, but the teensy bit of exposure against the skin of a scratched tumbled stone isn't enough to harm us, in my opinion. I wouldn't suggest chewing on them.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby TwilightDancer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 pm

I have a tumbled malachite bracelet. I'm not that great at removing my jewelry before I shower. I'm still here. :lol:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
TwilightDancer

Postby evil ed » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 am

In the polished and the rough (solid) form it is safe to handle. when grinding and polishing you do want to wear a respirator.
If the rough is real crumbly, it wouldn't hurt to wash your hands after handling it. this holds true for any of the copper based minerals (malachite, azurite, chryscolla, etc...).
By the prickling of my thumbs,
something Wiccan this way comes!
evil ed

Return to Crystals and Gemstones