*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Let's Discuss What Is A "Real Witch"

If your thread turns into an bitch-and-moan-fest or shouting match, it will be put here where you can continue hashing it out.

Re: Let's Discuss What Is A "Real Witch"

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:35 pm

Thanks for your reply, Blackwolf. I wasn't suggesting moral judgement is natural, but that attaining balance is, at least as I have seen it manifest. The worms creep out of the woodwork as a means to bring transition into play. Sink or swim.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Corbin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:57 am

SnowCat wrote:
Some practitioners are self-initiated, and don't follow a strict tradition. Younger members might infer, as you did imply, that only the traditions of which you speak, are valid.

Initiation (both the big I and little i) are relevant to the discussion.

Myself, I performed a magical act without the realisation it was a magical act, applied focus, thought and study and was then "pushed from behind" - I was initiated. No coven, just a covenant.

I Subsequently dedicated myself to a year and a day and haven't looked back since. It remains the most defining moment of my life - it echoes ... it changed the game.

But it was a blessing; I couldn't force it, even now I wouldn't know how - the right alchemical elements were present at the right time to turn lead to gold. A goddess called beautiful serendippity.

Yet people who choose the witches path, who initiate themselves and dedicate themselves to it by choice and belief rather then those Initiated who walk in "faith"? I wish them every blessing. Doesnt your heart flares when you encounter each new seeker - they are taking destiny into their own hands ... besides it could be the path to a deeper Initiation?

Sure they could fail, could walk away - any of us could - but todays failures are simply the lessons for tommorow's victories.

It's hard to make rigid judgements because the world shifts and evolves; the source defies them every time.
Corbin

Postby Shawn Blackwolf » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:42 am

I agree Corbin

I myself as a native elder said was grabbed by the Spirits or as a Bon Po shaman said, enlightenment or as a Celtic witch said, was taken by the Faery.

It was direct and immediate and no mistaking it when I saw raven turn white and the sun turn black and I lost time, after a nineteen day download of information. So I am well aware of the lineage line, or direct download, or self dedication and have no qualms about any of them, as long as the path gets you to the center of the spiral.

(interesting how this conversation evolved from whether a "real witch" as someone else put it, would harm none or not, to the validity of different ways of initiation)

Witchcraft is a crooked path is it not ?

...lol...

I always wish all well on their path , and encourage them to follow their heart while giving advice on their way when they ask for it, or I see it is truly needed.

That is the best any of us can do...*smiles*
Shawn Blackwolf

Postby Corbin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:30 am

Once again around the spiral then?

I have always followed that rede "If it harms none, do what you will; if it harms, do what you must".

People get all hung up on this rede like they are lawyers looking for loopholes. It's simple enough; it is a rede (advice, not a rule). If it harms no-one, even yourself, do it, be it, live it. If it does some harm or could be conceived as harm, at least take the time out to consider it, weigh it in your conscience, own it in your heart and accept responsibility in any repercussions and consequences.

When we fail? Own it. Learn from it, mitigate it where possible then live with it. Keep moving forward. What more can anyone do?

People associate this rede with narrow conceptual acts of magic. It is advice that can and perhaps should be applied across every aspect of life? Respect and self-respect, or as the ancient Celts saw the world - undivided.
Corbin

Postby RyukaAscendant » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:03 pm

I believe some of this has to do with many modern witches shortening it to harm none. That is one thing I see time and time again, especially when I was new. But even now, very rarely do I see the full thing.

This is partially what turned me away from classifying my self as a witch to begin with. But I'm sure has much to do with ridding the name of old connotations.

As to initiation, for witches I feel it's necessary as a tradition. It's kind of like becoming a priest. But not all practioners have had an initiation. Some of us just found our way to it, I don't know if there's a term for that though.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
RyukaAscendant

Previous

Return to Conflict Resolution