*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Questions about Self-Initiation and Self-Dedication

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

Questions about Self-Initiation and Self-Dedication

Postby Brujo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:57 am

Blessed be.... Greetings Brothers and Sisters.... I have a question: Can you perform the Initiation ritual by yourself only to initiate yourself???
I am a Witch
I am at One with Earth, The Universe and the Divine
Let this day be free from Strife and Fear
Let Joy and Love come near
With Blessings given and received
I walk in Peace in Word and Deed
Brujo

Re: Initiation

Postby firebirdflys » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 am

I feel you can do this..have you studied for a year and a day already? ....if not I would consider dedicating yourself to the Goddess and her consort, for that amount of time before an initiation, to see if this is truly your path.
Blessings, Firebird
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby Brujo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks a lot for your help..... Blessed be....
I am a Witch
I am at One with Earth, The Universe and the Divine
Let this day be free from Strife and Fear
Let Joy and Love come near
With Blessings given and received
I walk in Peace in Word and Deed
Brujo

Postby -Dark-Moon- » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:31 am

Yes I agree - I am a self dedicated self initiated witch. Some self initiate through the 3 degrees although I have not, always having hope that someday I might find a coven.

I wish you much success on your journey.

Blessings
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
-Dark-Moon-

Postby Vervain » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm self-dedicated, self-initiated. I've met other Wiccans since I dedicated, but knew none at the time. If you've studied and you're ready and this is what you want, you don't need someone else to tell you your religion is official.
She changes everything she touches, and everything she touches changes.
We are changers, everything we touch can change.
Vervain

Postby Witchy333 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:50 pm

vervain wrote:I'm self-dedicated, self-initiated. I've met other Wiccans since I dedicated, but knew none at the time. If you've studied and you're ready and this is what you want, you don't need someone else to tell you your religion is official.

-Dark-Moon- wrote:Yes I agree - I am a self dedicated self initiated witch. Some self initiate through the 3 degrees although I have not, always having hope that someday I might find a coven.

I wish you much success on your journey.

Blessings

Have you read 'Wicca: a Witch's Circle of Fire' by Thuri Calafia? Her system is based on the traditional system (1st degree, 2nd degree, 3rd degree), but for solitary persons. She calls people who know nothing and are just learning about Paganism, "Seekers". On her system, you self-dedicate yourself (which I have done) for a journey of one year and a day to become a 1st degree. She calls people who self-dedicate, "Dedicants", and 1st degrees, 'Initiates'. Then you have another year and a day to become an "Adept", 2nd degree; then another year and a day to become a 3rd degree, "Master".

The books go in order of:
Wicca: a Witch's Circle of Fire - Dedicant
Wicca: a Witch's Circle of Water - Initiate
Wicca: a Witch's Circle of Earth - Adept (She is writing this now)
Wicca: a Witch's Circle of Spirit - Master (She will be writing this after finishing the Adept book)

She is so informative and her writing is so unique. She doesn't tell you lies and such and recommends that you take everything with a grain of salt.

She may also be writing a book called "Wicca: a Witch's Circle of Air" for Seekers.
Spirit does not have to be touched
Spirit does not have to be seen
Spirit does not have to be heard
Spirit simply is ......
Witchy333

Postby Vervain » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Perhaps I'll look into these. I've been in the craft for nearly a decade now, but one never stops learning. Thank you for the resources.
She changes everything she touches, and everything she touches changes.
We are changers, everything we touch can change.
Vervain

Postby Nettles » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:40 pm

I think one can't be self-initiated, only self-dedicated. However, according to the old shamans, one can be initiated by the spirits. In this instance, Goddes could theoretically step in and initiate you.

When I did my dedication I was hoping that would happen since I had had an experience where my Goddes took over the ritual, but on the day of my self-dedication I just made my promises and asked for help. Even though I tried to go further, it didn't happen.
I guess am not ready.
Nettles

Postby GreenArcher » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Witchy333

That was a great resource that I needed thanks for sharing that. ^^
GreenArcher

Postby Vigdisdotter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:40 am

Initiation leads you into deeper Mysteries. For that to happen, the person do the leading must have experienced them him or herself first so that they can show you the door way. So if you haven't experienced them (and wouldn't be able to recognize them if you did) how are you going to show yourself the door way that is initiation?

And for the record, as much as I love books, no book can explain the Mysteries. These are things that must be felt in order to be known, because language fails abysmally to community the sheer magnitude of what is experienced.
Vigdisdotter
Banned Member

Re: Questions about Self-Initiation and Self-Dedication

Postby loona wynd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Brujo wrote:Blessed be.... Greetings Brothers and Sisters.... I have a question: Can you perform the Initiation ritual by yourself only to initiate yourself???

This is a tough question to answer and honestly the debate on this one rages. Can a person self initiate or is a self initiation a dedication and not a true initiation? These are difficult questions to answer, and in the end I think we have to come to our own decisions on this based on experience, tradition or style as well as what we were taught. That being said I do have my own views and concepts related to initiation that I am going to share.

True initiation in witchcraft and basically any magical spirituality is really done by the spirits and deities of that path. Human rituals are the vessels of that power transfer and awareness opening, but in the end a true initiation is done by the spirits and the spirits alone. It is the spirit or the deities involved in the path or practice that are the ones who decide if you are worthy or if they want to share those mysteries with you. So it is them who really perform the initiations.

In this view I do believe that it is possible for a solitary witch or magician to perform a ritual that will aid in spirit initiations. The ritual is that vessel which provides the trance experience. This is what allows the solitary to contact the spirits both in the physical world and the spirit world. From here the spirit or deity is the one who passes power and awareness onto the individual making the spirit initiation complete.

However in the strictest of traditional terms and practices that ritual would not be considered an initiation. That ritual would be considered more a ritual of dedication. The only way it would be an initiation ritual was if you followed a tradition or style of witchcraft that created the path and tradition with specific rituals in mind for solitaries. In which case you would still be having power passed to you by the spirits, but also by the teacher of that specific tradition.

Most solitary initiation rituals I have found I would personally classify as dedication rituals as I believe that in the traditional sense that initiation really is being brought into the path by another person. To be initiated into something is to be brought into it by another person, the power and awareness of the energy of that line and those deities and spirits is passed to you by formal ritual from one person to another.

Even with these traditional initiation rituals it is still the deities and the spirits themselves that perform the actual initiation. They are the ones that will remake you in the way needed for that practice. Initiation rituals at their hearts are rebirth rituals-you are being born again into that way of life and way of thinking. The physical rituals provide a vessel for those experiences, which is why most believe initiation rituals can really only be done into groups.

For this reason spirit initiation rituals often involve journeies and meditations where you are unmade and remade or die a death of some sort and are remade. The old you is gone and a new you is made. This is also why I believe that it is possible to have initiation by spirits. I have had one via dragon spirits. So I know it can be done. I also know that its a scary and frightening experience.

So initiation is less about the ritual and more about being remade on a spiritual level. Can a solitary ritual be an initiation? Yes but only if the spirit is remade in meditation and trance through the aid of the beings that the ritual is opening the path ways to. Otherwise I consider solitary initiation rituals to be dedication rituals. They are still powerful rituals in their own rite and are very meaningful. My difference depends on the level of participation and change brought by the spirits and deities involved.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft