*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

How to set up a discreet altar?

Share photos of your altars or other magical tools and pagan decor.

How to set up a discreet altar?

Postby kana- » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 am

Don't know if this is the right group to post to but anyways, I live with my parents who are devout catholics and I have been planning to start my journey in pagan witchcraft for a while now. Many beginner witchcraft guides mention setting up an altar. I have looked into this and as beautiful as they are, my parents (mainly my mother), would not approve. Anyone have any ideas on setting up a correct but discreet altar?
Last edited by firebirdflys on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing tapatalk advertising
kana-

Re: How to set up a discreet altar?

Postby Corbin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:08 am

Depends how nosy your mother is and how likely she is to find it / the aggravation it will cause.

An altar, shrine or temple on the Astral perhaps?
Corbin

Postby SpiritTalker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:26 am

A discrete altar will not use Craft symbols or tools & is unlikely to use incense that might call attention. it does not need to look Pagan or out of the ordinary. The main things to include on a working altar are representations of the concepts of the Elements of Air, Earth, Fire, Water & Spirit and your concept of deity in whatever way makes you connect to them. Use household dishes, vases &'flower pots, animal figurines; replace smokey incense with aerosol or potpourri, replace live flame candles with flameless, battery powered perpetual light candles if needed; use your pointing index & middle fingers like a two-edged blade to direct energy.

A traditional magical, working altar is divided into 3 sections (left, center, right) & works to keep a balance by energy polarity (-)/(+) . Energy flows from (-) to (+), left-to-right in this case. The altar is the Earth in miniature. Elements of Earth & Water are passive (-) polarity & are associated with feminine, lunar energy & go on the left. Fire & Air are active (+), solar, masculine &'go on the right. The Pentacle as representative of all the elements goes in the middle to focus & condense energy. This arrangement of balanced polarity aids manifesting goals.

You'd find symbolic substitutes for the elements taken from Nature & household items & place them either to the left, center or right by their association to an element. A live flower in a vase of H2O is both (-) earth & water & would be placed to the left. Or use an interesting rock you've found for earth & driftwood or sea-shell for water. A water-smoothed stone is both water & earth. (+) Air symbols are fans, flutes, feathers & Fire symbols things like lava rock, red chili peppers & candles would be placed to the right. The Crafter is spirit. The center is where the energy is concentrated & therefore is your work-space or a meditation focal point.

Colors can also sub: green=earth, yellow=air, red=fire, blue=water, purple=spirit. Christmas ornament mercury glass balls can be arranged in a bowl with color symbolism & seasonal twigs & wild-sprigs of leaves; as it has all the elements it could be a center piece substitute for a pentacle, or a one-piece all-in-one altar decor. A tea light oil diffuser would serve similarly as an all-in-one altar piece. The tea light & oil are fire, there's water in the cup, air is the aromatic scent & earth is the diffuser gizmo itself.

Lots of Christian households use personal shrines. Perpetual lights double as altar lights & can be battery powered candles. They represent spiritual light & a battery has (-)/(+) polarity built-in. Adapt & substitute: four gospel writers, four archangels = four directions & 4 elements; patron saints & guardian angels = guardian spirits. Votive & 7-day vigil candles are spell candles. Substitute a God's Eye, Bridget Cross, Catherine Wheel or any 4-Way cross for a pentagram. Psalms have a long history of use for spells (see Magic with the Psalms & Psalter books @ amazon). Rosary=prayer beads.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby CleverlyDisguised » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:07 am

I used to have an emergency altar kit, everything I needed for a spell casting altar contained in a small pouch I could fit comfortably in my jeans pocket
Last edited by firebirdflys on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleverly, please fix the tapatalk signature
CleverlyDisguised

Postby TheChimera » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:05 am

I agree with what Spirittalker mentions about using the saints as many of those have corresponding or similar deities in other cultures if that is something you want to connect with. There are also many resources these days on Christian witchcraft and I'm dead sure you'll find info on blending that with Catholicism if you want to use that as a means to practice covertly without using symbols that would give you away. Spent many years in the closet myself and it's not fun having to hide yourself like that from people you love. unfortunately a judgmental nature exists in all of us to an extent. If you're outdoorsy you can collect stones/ shells and feathers etc and use that as an excuse to have something that you secretly associate with your craft, just be careful though, some parents are aware of the symbology, so if you feel like it's too obvious don't use it.
TheChimera

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 am

@ lookingforanswers: Re boot for you
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to Altar Pictures