*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

How did you step into the ritual side of witchcraft?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

How did you step into the ritual side of witchcraft?

Postby Agarwaen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:03 pm

I've been a theoretical witch for a long while now -I've read many things, amassed quite a bit of knowledge, gathered books, changed my life and perspective for the better with the aid of this religion- but I've never actually done a deliberate spell or ritual. I'm rather young and quite busy preparing for the fast approaching transition into true adulthood. I've read many things that advise to wait until your life is ready and stable before stepping into the misty glades of Wicca. To the contrary, I feel as though finally adding the complete and unabridged Wicca to my life will complete this... rebirth, if you will. It will make me whole.

That said, I was wondering how you guys stumbled, or waltz if you are a being of grace, through this part of your lives. What rituals or spells are first in your memories? How did they feel?
    Did you gather your tools first and plan a night and memorize your lines? Or was it a spontaneous moment?
    Anything you have to share I'd be grateful for.
Agarwaen

Re: How did you step into the ritual side of witchcraft?

Postby Hunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Well research is how I started everything and I only really started on this path little under 2 years ago but have been interested in it sense I first joined the military I have a couple friends that practise the craft as well so they helped me with getting all my tools. My first ever rite was the self dedication ritual after a year and a day of study. Ever sense then if ima do a spell or rite I always like to prepare a few days or even a week before getting everyrhing together.. as for memorizing lines I still dont do that effectively but isnt that what your BoS is for ? Id love to be of more help but I still consider myself new and im pretty sure you are just as knowledgeable as I. My friends though said that its rly just trial and error, find what works for you and go with your gut.. I hope this helps, even a little lol xD
Hunter

Postby YanaKhan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:53 am

I gather you don't really need to do any ritual, just want to get started wit ritual work. Well, that's how I feel a lot of the time. It's sometimes weird - a witch not doing any rituals except for Sabbaths.
Anyway, my first ritual was a job finding spell and as long as I didn't know a lot about spells, I gathered as many as I could that I found reliable and finally I had my own ritual, which was actually gathering the things I found most appealing. It was not on purpose, it just felt right.
Now, by that time, I had read about million books, I was meditating every night, I had pretty good breathing control (being a singer, it helped me with my work too) and was able to sift out what I thought would be best for my spell.
So my point is, if I didn't have the very urgent need to find a job (having a 2 year old at the time and my husband not being very well paid), I would probably wait another hmm, 2 - 3 years. It has to be when you feel ready and when you really need to.
But on the other hand, Samhain is at the door, why not make a ritual to honor your ancestors.
When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!
No battle is over until I win!
"Imagination creates reality". Richard Wagner
YanaKhan

Postby Echo_of_shadows » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:43 am

I'm mostly a spontaneous witch. Once I have the idea that I want to do a spell or ritual, I'll sometimes stop to do a bit of research, for correspondences, deities, etc., but usually I just gather up my tools and set up shop, so to speak. My chants and invocations are usually spontaneous. I don't think I've used any pre-written chants since I was last with a coven 6 or 7 years ago. I think that comes from being too impatient to memorize anything. :P
I remember when I first started using spells, I did everything by the book. I've since learned to be more flexible. :mrgreen:
The one thing that has stuck out in my mind from the early days was the experience I had during my initiation into my former coven. During the time that I was meditating as part of the ceremony, I could see that the woods around me were black and white, quite literally. The trees were black and everything else was white. Now that I'm thinking back on it, I think that was appropriate since I got a feeling of Winter from the vision and Winter is generally associated with death.

Agarwaen wrote:I've read many things that advise to wait until your life is ready and stable before stepping into the misty glades of Wicca. To the contrary, I feel as though finally adding the complete and unabridged Wicca to my life will complete this... rebirth, if you will. It will make me whole.

My advice is that if you feel you are ready for Wicca, go for it. The only readiness meter is the one that is in your own heart. If you get started and for some reason decide to take a break from Wicca for a while, that's ok. The right time doesn't have to be this time, or even the next time. The Lord and lady know what is in our hearts and will wait with love and patience.

Blessings on your journey,
Echo
Echo_of_shadows
Ƴσʋ ∂σи'т αℓωαʏƨ κиσω ωнɛяɛ ʏσʋ ƨтαи∂ | 'Ƭιℓ ʏσʋ κиσω тнαт ʏσʋ ωσи'т яʋи αωαʏ -Ƨℓιρκиσт
Echo_of_shadows

Postby DPhoenix » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:34 pm

As strange as it might sound, for me it all started with feng shui.

I learned about the elements and how their chi is connected with every part of our lives. So learning magick correspondences seemed natural for me.

I started with small spells first then the more I learned the more comfortable I became with doing rituals.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
DPhoenix

Postby loona wynd » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Agarwaen wrote:
    I've been a theoretical witch for a long while now -I've read many things, amassed quite a bit of knowledge, gathered books, changed my life and perspective for the better with the aid of this religion- but I've never actually done a deliberate spell or ritual. I'm rather young and quite busy preparing for the fast approaching transition into true adulthood. I've read many things that advise to wait until your life is ready and stable before stepping into the misty glades of Wicca. To the contrary, I feel as though finally adding the complete and unabridged Wicca to my life will complete this... rebirth, if you will. It will make me whole.

That said, I was wondering how you guys stumbled, or waltz if you are a being of grace, through this part of your lives. What rituals or spells are first in your memories? How did they feel?
    Did you gather your tools first and plan a night and memorize your lines? Or was it a spontaneous moment?
    Anything you have to share I'd be grateful for.

The first ritual I ever performed was a self dedication ritual. I wasn't sure if I was doing things right or not. I was un comfortable writing my own ritual so I followed the one written in Teen Witch by Silver Ravenwolf. I can't remember if I really felt that the gods were present then or not but it was my first ritual.

The first ritual I suggest any one do is a ritual of intent to study and learn. It is not a dedication or formal commitment to do anything but study, and experiment.

I can provide an outline for this if you would like.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:19 pm

I dove head first into circle casting as an experience because I was shown it's value in teaching me to ground & manipulate energy; to connect to the Earth & channel energy; to be of-nature & not to use it selfishly for my own ends. Studying the circle gave me the concept of the Universe in miniature & a template for forms of worship & designing spells. It made sense of bits & pieces id read here 'n there about magical thinking & put it together.

It's been 35 years since I'd 1st read Cunninghams Solitary Wicca & Medici's Good Magic. I recall that i'd re-read each & made notes. It was winter & the snow was deep so I practiced indoors until June. I remember taping instruction sheets on the four-direction walls. My tools were a $6 athame, a $2 box of clearance sale candles, some dime-store incense cones & a cereal bowl. I practiced circles almost every day. I felt foolish & clumsy & had no energetic sensations at all. After a few months the routine came without thinking about it. At one afternoon practice I thought I saw blue smoke flowing off my hands. It was encouraging but I still felt nothing "special". I read more - Buckland's "Big Blue" with exercises & the Farrar's Witch's Bible.

It would have been June's full moon night that it was finally warm enough to go barefoot outdoors. I didn't set up an altar. I was comfortable that I knew the ritual procedure. I recall staring at the moon in the clouds until I was dizzy. I knew "something" was different. I felt energized. Moon-watching filled me with adoration. I was pulled down to my knees by the force of it & had tears for the beauty & holy sanctity of Nature. When I could stand up I cast a circle - just the energy projection. The blue smoke visibly drifted off my hand holding the blade & dusted the ground. I focused deeper within my gut & cast again; this time i saw the smoke tighten into a beam flowing around & off the tip of the blade. I felt connected to the Earth & exhilarated. This was what I was after.

I figured everything that was supposed to be there already was there so didn't call quarters; Holy Presence was obvious. I hadn't prepared an offering because it was my 1st full moon outdoors & id only intended to meditate. I really hadn't expected much. My stunned silence was accepted as words were superficial (I did leave several slices of broken bread for the birds in the morning). I meditated & as I reflected on the experience it seemed clear that what had been missing from my diligent practices was the emotional-spiritual connection & actual contact with the Earth. The Moon has figured into my practice ever since.

My first spells to attract love accumulated stray cat's until i put out witch's bottles as a boundary. The first spell that appeared to be useful involved relocating a neighbor to a better location for their business. Later on, by working with my guide, my spell efforts became more precise. My guide told me to work from my place of power which is a visualized astral construct where we meet.

I don't do many "cook book" spells with lists of diverse ingredients. I've tried them & they're too distracting. The relationship of ingredient to intent is the essential information that makes mental connections, so they have their uses.

I mostly use something to focus on & balance the elemental energies within a circle, & then use the circle itself (cone of power) to carry an intent. It feels more natural. And I commune. I connect to the Earth & Moon. Focus & energy projection are what my guide has taught me. To me herbs are for making tea - chamomile relaxes me for meditation & rosemary helps dream & trance recall. The aromas of herbs, essential oils & incense stimulate my mental responses. Mint & rose have a positive effect on me. Oil is used for annointing & transfers an energy charge to an object. Salt is an effective purifier. The simpler I keep things, the better.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick