*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

How do I go about learning on my own?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

How do I go about learning on my own?

Postby hoorayfordying » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:04 am

This is proving to be difficult. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
hoorayfordying

Re: How do I go about learning on my own?

Postby corvidus » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:09 am

What books have you read recently?
corvidus
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Xiao Rong » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:52 am

Have you checked out our Witchcraft 101 guide?
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SpiritTalker » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:35 am

Some useful topics on EUTM board:

complete-magickal-correspondence-t26933.html

getting-started-t34769.html

simple-spells-t36682.html

Yea, it can be a challenge. Nobody's going to pour the knowledge into our heads, dang it. I think it helps to organize so make a list of what you are most interested in knowing; be specific. Then tackle the subjects one at a time. Look up the discussion topics on the board using the search functions. Read about one subject for a week, a month or whatever gives you results. Get a cheap notebook & make notes (especially topic titles where you'd found the info on the forum). Then move to the next topic when you're satisfied. If you're not comprehending what you read then break stuff down & read it again. Ask specific questions.

I found learning circle casting was a short cut to learning other functions, & encompasses the whole enchilada of magical concepts once you figure it out. And unless you practice casting circles you won't get it. Simple fact. So write down the steps in order (see "getting started") & walk thru it over & over like learning a dance routine. Figure out your cardinal directions - N,E,S,W - & try it out. Ground your energy when done. Practice energy is real & should be grounded into the earth or loaded into a glass of water & poured on the ground later. Don't bother about spells until you get the circle casting process down pat. Laying circles will automatically teach you grounding, centering, raising & projecting focused energy that's needed to set intentions in spells, so that's a bonus freebie! Once you "get it" you'll have it the rest of your life, like riding a bike. :mrgreen:

Full moons are good opportunities to practice "live." Google & write down the current year's full moon dates & then observe them with a simple circle, give thanks & do a quiet meditation. We do not have to work at night in the dark; the full moon energy lasts all day & night (the day before, day of & day after true full). Full Moon's rise as the sun sets & reach the highest point at midnight (adjust for DST). Even when it's cloudy &'cant be seen the moon is still there. If you also want to recognize the 8 holidays you'll know how. Draw out the kitchen-witch with seasonal foods.

After you are comfortable with circles you'll have the skills to move on to some spell methods. Just get to know some different kinds so that you know the methods. Ex: a Witch's bottle, a basic candle spell, the Witch's ladder, the 9-Knot spell. (see Simple Spells)

You can consult the EUTM "Correspondence" list for magical properties or use your own source. To get a working knowledge of using plants, choose 3 herbs/spices you like the smell of & study with what they can do (herbs impact material things). Then choose 3 garden flowers or wildflowers (flowers impact emotions) that you can find growing or buy a bouquet as a treat. The aromas of these all impact our senses & transmit meanings very fast to the brain. A raw quartz stone (found on the ground or at landscaping/garden supplies) is all purpose & reusable after cleansing & re-programing with your intent. They are good to learn with. With these few items you can do a lot & then you'll have started your supplies & gear.

When you need "stuff" collect it from Nature and things already on hand before spending cash. You will change how you do things 100 times so hold off from buying frenzies, and then...go to thrift shops first. Recycling is good to the Earth. Always wash purchases before using. Repurposing is tradition & started with the iconic household broom & cooking pot.

These starter tasks will probably take several months to accomplish but take as much time as you want to learn about your favorite topics; discerning different cultural paths & the god-forms can come early on or comeas & they'll speak for themselves. Just keep adding on one step at a time. Your scratchy note book will be the basis of your Book. At any time after sampling if you decide the Craft is for you then do a dedication.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft