*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Herbs and oils

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

Herbs and oils

Postby Ashrend » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:54 pm

Got an idea of how to get a batch of different herbs and oils but which are a witches basic stock? Which ones are most transferable and useable with the most amount of spells? Does that list contain any plants that can be grown at home for use rather than imported dried herbs?

devon
Ashrend

Re: Herbs and oils

Postby Bychan Wulf » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Sage, basil and the entire range of herbs with healing properties can be grown at home. Some don't even need much to keep growing, once you planted them.

I think that what herbs you have in your stock, depends on the type of witchcraft you want to practice. The only one that is a must-have, is probably sage.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Bychan Wulf

Re: Herbs and oils

Postby SpiritTalker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:20 pm

If there's an agreed on basic starter set, I've never found it. It always depends on your strengths & what you work best with. You could try some multi-purpose herbs and work exclusively with one at a time over a few months to see how they feel. You could make a list of the main functions you desire, and find those that do 3 or more functions on the list. Or look to what's growing around the neighborhood and find uses for them.

Up to now I've preferred mint for multi tasking; it cleanses(air), protects & heals (fire), aids psychism& spirituality (water), & aids abundance (earth); is cheap, easily acquired, and grows like mad. Cinnamon is another major multitasked, as is rosemary. I use olive oil...it aids strength, life-affirming fertility, and holds a psychic charge. I know that If something stinks, or gives me a headache I'm not going to use it, so why waste money & effort? The one scented oil I will not be without is frankincense. It is cleansing, protective, healing, spiritual and solar.

I look for cleansing, protection and other-realm link properties since most of what i do touches on these tasks. I also found i will actually use tinctures (a few drops in a cuppa coffee/tea/H2O) more than scented oils. And I try not to use one's that are endangered or so over used that they are becoming scarce.

So again, the use you get from an investment in botanicals depends on how you like to work, what kinds of spells you are most likely to use, & what you like to work with.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft