*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Hello and Request for Assistance with Project

Say hello and tell us a little bit about you and your interests.

Hello and Request for Assistance with Project

Postby Anthro_Student » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello! I am a 21 year old female from the United States. I am currently an undergraduate student studying Biology and Anthropology, which is the study of humankind. I have long had an interested in Wicca, Pagans, and witchcraft. This interest stems from my Irish heritage, with family stories of fairies and spiritual encounters. Furthermore I know some Wiccan holidays are named after Celtic holidays, including Imbolc and Samhain. As such, I have long been interested in having conversations with people who identify as witches.

For an Anthropology undergraduate capstone course, I am planning to conduct an ethnographic study on modern witches. My research question aims to explore why people come to identify as witches? I believe it crucial to allow people to be the advocates of their stories and unique perspectives, which is why I am hoping to have conversations with some of you through this forum. I will not ask you to justify your identity in any way or to "prove" anything-- I am more interested in your unique journeys that have brought you to witchcraft and how the practice of magick and the support of communities like this online forum have helped you.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in collaborating on this project as individuals I could speak with through this forum? The project intends to bring no harm to anyone who participates; the privacy and confidentiality of those who participate is highly valued and this confidentiality can be extended to the desires of those participating. Since this project is for an undergraduate course, the paper produced from this project will only be read by the professor of the course. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and if you may be willing to participate. I look forward to hearing from you!
Anthro_Student

Re: Hello and Request for Assistance with Project

Postby SpiritTalker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Your inquiry is very nicely phrased & covers the bases. I'd find a questionnaire easiest to respond to. I would not use my personal email for privacy reasons. I'd be interested as well in people's replies. We have a few general topics like "how did you start?" and defining pagan, witch & wiccan already. If it's OK with our Moderators &'the Owner then PM-ing is OK with me, but I'd prefer on the board (but don't know how you'd patent protect your study in public chat.) I can't think of anything in the EUTM rules to prohibit participation. We're not selling or promoting anything.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SnowCat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:12 pm

I don't think anything in the request violates forum rules. Our admin, Xiao Rong, needs to have the final say, but I would be willing to participate via pm, or on the board. As Spirit said, we do have number of threads that involve those types of questions, but I think, ethically, it would be better to get actual consent from individuals here.
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby Anthro_Student » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:22 pm

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I was wondering if you might know how I can determine if the admin would approve? If it is approved, I thought private messages might be the best for those willing to participate as an added layer of confidentiality regarding your answers and stories. I was hoping to have conversations through private messages, so while there may be guiding questions similar to a questionnaire, especially in the beginning, ideally it would be a continuing conversation to clarify points and let the journey of the conversation lead itself.
Anthro_Student

Postby firebirdflys » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 pm

I don't see any reason that this would be a problem. If those you are interviewing are feeling uncomfortable all they have to do is report the Private Message and that would be the end of it. And I'm sure everyone is wise enough not to share any personal information.
What I would request is a summary of your report if that's ok. You can post it here. In my group we have been interviewed by many Anthro students for some time now and it's interesting to see what gets written.
BB, Firebird
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby Xiao Rong » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:41 pm

Hi Anthro, I'm going to send you a PM. Thanks!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby corvidus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:18 am

Sounds like a very interesting project, a study I would probably read if I found it online haha.
corvidus
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Lenaleanna » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:37 pm

Welcome!!!
I would love to participate if needed/wanted on a thread or by PM... I have nothing to hide especially when it's for education!!!
Lenaleanna (Lena)
When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don't let go.
Lenaleanna
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Xiao Rong » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Hello all! I have talked with Anthro_Student over PM and she has shared some more details about the research project. I'm giving her the go-ahead to recruit interview subjects over the forum -- although I would still encourage, as always, anyone interested in participating in the study to practice basic Internet safety measures, such as being mindful about what private contact information to share. As with everything else on EUTM, you participate at your own risk. If you have any concerns, please feel free to PM me.

Nice to meet you, Anthro_Student! Best of luck on the project.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:46 am

Thank you Xiao for all you do. :)
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby L.J.Hex » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:49 pm

I would like to participate too. I don't think there's anybody else active at the moment who's mixing the brew with Finnish witchcraft. :flyingwitch:
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
L.J.Hex

Postby Skuld » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:35 am

Welcome and your project sounds really interesting. PM me if you'd like!
Asa og Vana!
Skuld

Postby SolSeeker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:20 am

I would also be happy to participate. I'm a full-time student myself so I understand the struggle involved in finding willing research participants, haha. And I also believe that quality academic work helps the Pagan community in terms of positive visibility and validity in the wider world. So I'm in!
SolSeeker

Return to Member Profiles & Introductions