*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Hecate and symbols

Hecate and symbols

Postby binxyhollow » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:06 pm

A while ago I asked about symbols I can learn as a second language, and although it was helpful and I'll be using it in the future, I also want to know of more symbols. This is probably a childish way of saying this but I lack another descriptive medium. I want to learn symbols like in books that have different meanings, that can be stringed together to make a bigger and greater spell. To learn symbols that I wouldn't use unless in dire circumstances and to make paragraphs of lesser symbols to make complex spells. Along with this, I want to learn about Hecate, a fellow witch has mentioned her before but I am clueless to what she represents, is or does. My friend who is a solitary witch and usually peaceful, but has a very powerful dark side to him. I feel I am similar but I haven't got an outlet for that darkness. They have said Hecate is neither light nor dark, but from what I have learnt from my friend is that she is at least part darkness. Any thoughts on either things?
binxyhollow

Re: Hecate and symbols

Postby RyukaAscendant » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Specifically she is a goddess of doorways and magic. She is sometimes depicted as the crone, but she also is depicted as the lady, the mother, and the crone at times. The symbol below was often carved into doorways to repel evil but some evidence suggests was a general symbol of Hecate. She is also represented by the torch, dagger, and key in an overlayed position.Image
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
RyukaAscendant

Postby binxyhollow » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:39 pm

Ooo, I like that, thank you that's interesting.
binxyhollow

Postby Lady_Lilith » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:29 pm

I'd like to say the idea of Hekate being a crone is a modern idea. She is simply a maiden in Greek myth. Her triple goddess form has to do with the crossroads, as well, and not the "maiden, mother, crone" ideal that is projected on her in modern lore.

Her symbols are dogs, the torch or two torches, keys, snakes, the underworld, owls, bats, crossroads, polecats, frogs, -- to name a few. (Basically, animals associated with witches. This symbolism for her is especially prominent in medieval art.) She is also rather associated with ghosts and evil spirits. She tends to send those on people while also protecting them from them.

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html

As for the darkness ideal, she is a rather mysterious and dark goddess. Her devotees are wrapped in old stories of being witches, her cult being filled with them. Witches were to be feared back then. It is also said, that these witches favored the superior position of women on top during sex which was a big deal to patriarchal Greece. (She is likewise compared to Lilith later on.)

I think she was a foreign goddess from Asia minor who became Hellenized. To me, though on the darker spectrum, Hekate is about balance. Hence how she can protect people from evil whitlist send evil spirits on them. (She tends to have a few monster daughters too, but their names escape me atm.) There is a lot to be said of how she lights the way, I think it's important to remember that she is often the light in the darkness.
"Often I will spin a tale, never will I charge a fee. I'll amuse you an entire eve, but, alas, you won't remember me. What am I?" -Sloth
Lady_Lilith

Postby binxyhollow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:01 am

Thank you, that was extremely helpful.
binxyhollow

Return to Advanced Witchcraft