*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

We've Got This! - A Health/Fitness Support Thread

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!

We've Got This! - A Health/Fitness Support Thread

Postby Sakura Blossom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:38 pm

So, thanks to the suggestion of Blackthorn and Thistle, about keeping a thread open where we can support ourselves through becoming healthier and more fit; I've made one! We can share our stories and struggles about what we're having troubles with in our attempt to stay active, keep active, or begin being active. This is for anyone and everyone at different stages who wish to have support from those in a similar situation.

We can do our best to help one another keep on track with our goals and give tips to one another about how to overcome our obstacles.

Please be respectful of everyone! Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, we don't want to discriminate nor shame anyone within this forum. Thank you!

We've got this, guys! :D
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Sakura Blossom

Re: We've Got This! - A Health/Fitness Support Thread

Postby Thistle » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Well, I'm in terrible shape. I also need to build some muscle. I also struggle with pretty bad anxiety/depression so getting healthier should help me with that too. Finding the motivation to start is difficult though.
Thistle

Postby Blackthorn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Yay! I'm so excited for this thread!

I have a job that requires me to be active and relatively fit. I don't do any muscle training, but I do some heavy lifting. Now that it's getting nicer outside where I am (still not averaging above 0 celsius, though :|) - I'll probably start going for runs (hopefully, need some motivation). But one thing I have really failed on recently is FLEXIBILITY. I am so inflexible it's embarrassing to me. So I'm going to go back to bikram yoga, which was something I enjoyed in the past. I call it bootcamp yoga because, at least at the studio I went to before, they would bark orders at you, "YOUR LEG IS LIKE A LAMP POST. HOLD IT. HOLD IT. HOLD IT. NEXT POSE"- not a whole lot of calm serenity as found in other disciplines (I mean, it's serene in its own way).

So that's my goal for this coming spring :)
Blackthorn

Postby FireRaven » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Thistle, I just sort of had to force myself to get started, which is easier said than done, I know. :( I got to a point where I felt like garbage all the time and I just simply did not want to feel that way anymore. I used to wake up with severe anxiety in the mornings. Eating healthier will help, as will exercise. Studies are showing that exercise can release dopamine and serotonin in the brain, both of which help with depression. :) I did notice that once I started kickboxing my anxiety started to decrease.

At one point I'd lost 16 pounds, and then when my grandmother passed I put it all on again. I'm using the My Fitness Pal app to keep track of what I'm eating. I'm kickboxing in the mornings before I go to work - 20 minute workouts, and while they're short they are super intense! Like Blackthorn, I need to get my flexibility back. I can't even touch my toes!

For those looking for workout ideas, YouTube has a channel called BeFit, and they have tons of free workouts! I like Denise Austin myself, and when I want an arse kicking I go for Jillian Michaels. They have everything from aerobics to dance to yoga to kickboxing to workouts that target specific areas of the body. :)

We can do this!
FireRaven

Postby Thistle » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Depression makes me lose weight. -_- I have like no appetite when I'm depressed. It's how I ended up underweight. When I was 15 I went from 120 to 98lbs in a very short period due to depression. Ever since I've had a lot of trouble keeping it on. I've gotten to 115 a couple times but then I go back down. It usually isn't healthy weight either. I do love my bacon cheeseburgers. haha. I used to dance but I don't do much exercise now. I was hitting the gym almost daily when I was down in Cali spending time with my mum. Then I was getting settled, and I just kind of...slacked. There is a gym like...a block away we might join. Sadly none in this area have a pool it seems. I don't drive so I do walk to the store and stuff. With nicer weather bf and I want to do some hiking. I feel unhealthy. I think nicer weather will help a lot too. Something about a beautiful day makes want to get up and get out. :)
Thistle

Postby Sakura Blossom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm so glad that everyone seems to like this idea. I think it's a great idea too! (:

I don't work out as much as I did earlier this semester but I'm hoping to change that. I've lost a lot of weight because I don't have a car so I walk everywhere and being a poor college student, I don't have a lot of food in the house but I still eat. I feel really happy to know I can start making it to the gym more now, though. It's finally warming up so when I eventually get to the gym and start feeling well enough to go, then I can get back into the swing of things!

I can't do a lot of exercising because of a pre-existing condition, but what I do like to do is yoga and the recumbant bike as well as some of the strength training machines. They really help me feel better and I'm hoping that with being able to go more often now that I'll be able to start losing weight again.

I've also started to eat a little better but it'll take small steps.

Thistle, I also deal with depression as a result from Bipolar and I lose motivation with exercising once I get stuck on that whole "you're fat, you're not pretty, you shouldn't even bother". I have a lot of encouragement from my friends, though, who keep commenting on how I'm looking a lot thinner which makes me really happy to hear. (:

Walking and hiking really helps with energy levels too!

I also like that it was mentioned that exercising improves mood because it really, really does. When I actually DO go, I leave feeling AMAZING and I usually feel pretty happy the next day too. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Sakura Blossom

Postby ness » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:34 pm

I have tried many years to be physically active but I was always someone who started and quit. Eventually I figured out that it is very important to figure out the "right kind" of active for me. This might not be what works for others, or might not be what is popular.

I hate gym. So, when I signed up for gym membership, I always found excuses to not go. Yoga worked better for me.
Few months ago I decided to give Zumba a chance and I LOVE it! This is my kind of exercise. I don't find any excuses and usually I am looking forward to my classes. It's been 3 months and I can already feel my arms are toning well.

I do think that initially it helps to pay some money and commit. If not for anything, I go because I don't want to waste money. Not much, but I prepaid 4 classes which motivated me to stay through 4 classes. By the time I was done with 4 classes, I was hooked.
ness

Postby Thistle » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Any one have any good healthy recipes? Trying to get some new ideas.

One thing I really love is smoothies! I have a nutribullet, and I use it a lot. Especially with warmer weather coming. I usually just do kale, banana, mixed frozen berries, flax seed, and water. My bf likes them with juice, because otherwise it's too bland for him. I left out the banana tonight, so it's lacking a bit...but I don't like the flavor once they get more ripe. Any smoothie ideas too?

It's definitely about finding the right kind of exercise for you. I'm going to miss having a pool, but I like more fast paced exercises, or I have a ballet workout dvd I like. I honestly did not appreciate the shape I was in back then.....
Thistle

Postby FireRaven » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:14 am

I don't have any hard recipes per se, but I eat a lot of roasted veggies(bell peppers, asparagus, carrots), quinoa, and lean protein like chicken and occasionally fish. I've been on an Asian food kick for months now, and I like things like Vietnamese spring rolls because they are filling and healthy, and I also love bun bo xiao(grilled meat, rice vermicelli, and veggies), or pho when the weather is cold. I need to expand my arsenal. xD

Quinoa looks expensive, but a little goes a long way. One cup of uncooked quinoa, on average, yields three cups cooked.

I also have a glass of veggie juice in the morning with my breakfast. It helps to get me jump started for the day.
FireRaven

Postby YanaKhan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:12 am

Oh, hey, that's my thread :)
So here we go.
I am not really big on sports. I have a naturally muscular body, but I would like to keep it that way without actually having to do any sports :) Which, of course is not gonna happen.
So, I've tried like million things. I mean you name it, I've done it. The things I enjoy the most are sports that are intense, but include NO running. Running is my punishment. I like volleyball - I was in my highschool team and I loved it, but then when I went to the Musical Academy, my piano professor forbid me the volleyball.
I used to do folklore dancing and still to this day love it, only where I live there are no folk dances after 6 - 7 pm which is when I finish work.
Before I got pregnant, for several months I went to Tae - bo. It's absolutely incredible cardio training - I mean after an hour of it you feel exhausted but really satisfied too. Again, when I finish work, people are finishing practices, so I can't go now.
So, I thought "why not boxing"? I have this friend who gives boxing lessons. And my hubby and mom reacted the same way "why not go to fitness?", "you're going to get your nose broken" and so on. Well, first of all, fitness is boring. Second of all, I never liked my nose anyway, if someone breaks it, it'll probably have better shape than it has now. Third, I'm stubborn :) So it's been 6 months now, I feel in love with this sport - there is no running, but it's actually very very intense sport which burns more calories than any other sport I am familiar with. My breathing improved (which for a professional singer is a fantastic thing), I'm not losing weight recently, but I don't really look at my food with terror anymore. My aggression levels are at their lowest - if I get angry at someone, I just wait to the next practice and picture their face on the punching bag. It does miracles, trust me :)
So yeah, I strongly recommend Tae - bo and boxing. With tae - bo you can easily download Billy Blanks' videos (or find them on youtube) and do it at home if you don't have the time.
As for the boxing - the first few lessons are boring and not really intense, but if you are patient, it's so worth it.
When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!
No battle is over until I win!
"Imagination creates reality". Richard Wagner
YanaKhan

Postby YanaKhan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:08 am

Also, I would like to address a problem that nearly every woman is facing - cellulite. I mean, it's not only not really aesthetic, nor is it healthy. I've been fighting it forever and discovered nothing is really effective - I've spent a fortune on gels, oils and such and nothing really works. So I digged a little deeper and found out cupping massage actually works. It's cheap and doesn't require any special skills. There are silicone cups that are easy to use and work miracles on the skin. So I bought the cheapest anti - cellulite oil there is - like a dollar or so, and started procedures home. I'm really sorry I don't have pictures to show you guys the result, but trust me, it's working - visible results come in like a week. And about a month later, my cellulite is reduced by half.
This is a good video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbeWhEwY0Y and you can find many more on the web.
The procedure is painless and the only catch is, you have to do it before physical activity, so the broken fat tissue is burned off after.
I hope this is helpful :)
When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!
No battle is over until I win!
"Imagination creates reality". Richard Wagner
YanaKhan

Postby Thistle » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:54 pm

I've never had Quinoa. I'll have to try it.

Running is a nightmare for me. Plus I have asthma. But I like to get myself to where I can run if need be. I was on the dance my senior year. We were made to run one time, I think it was a punishment. I ran with the rest of the team. Afterwards I got a lecture from the coach. I pushed too much, and didn't say I had asthma. The other girls were like why wouldn't get out of it? I just shrugged. I was part of a team. Teams work together, right? I just shouldn't of overdone it. My breathing is worse now though. -_- so I have to be more careful.
Thistle

Postby FireRaven » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:40 am

Be careful! You always want to give your all as a part of a team but if you make yourself sick or can't breathe that isn't good either. :(

I cook my quinoa in chicken stock. It gives it a richer flavor. :)

I hate running. I has never come easily to me, and I have asthma and a bad knee to boot(which will change now that I am on insurance!). I like kickboxing because if I modify the workout(no pliometrics, no running/jumping), I can still get some good cardio in without damaging my knee. I'm also doing a lot more walking at my new job so that should help jump start my metabolism.
FireRaven

Postby Sakura Blossom » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:44 pm

I have asthma as well which is why I hate running and because of a chronic illness I have, its' really hard for me to find exercises that work. However!!! I'm happy to share and announce I just found one that really works out your body but in a... Less intense way? That's not the right word. It is really intense, but it's not hard on the lungs or on my chronic illness that results in tachycardia.

It's a combination of Pilates and Yoga so you have the relaxing aspect of yoga with the flexibility as well as the intensity of ab training with Pilates.

This is the video I'm using! Highly recommend! What I do is I take longer breaks between each segment. Of course, be sure that this won't hinder you in any way. It's always suggested to check with a medical professional before starting any new exercise regimen or diet. ^_^

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lqp9iWsvbeQ

Sakura Blossom

Postby secretisis » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Went to a boot camp class yesterday morning, and today I am in so much pain I think I'm dieing.. Ugh. Makes me want to stop working out. Sigh :( Anyone have any tips for helping sore possibly injured muscles?
secretisis

Next

Return to For Everyone