*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

We've Got This! - A Health/Fitness Support Thread

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!

Re: We've Got This! - A Health/Fitness Support Thread

Postby Sakura Blossom » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:25 pm

Epsom salt can also help with sore muscles. I'm not sure on how much you're supposed to use, but I've done it with the help of my mother before and it helped wonderfully.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Sakura Blossom

Postby smogie_michele » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:18 am

I love the idea of this thread! Yay!
For those of you who absolutely hate running, I would like to offer a suggestion: when I first started running, I hated every last step of it. But my fiance downloaded an app called "charity miles" which is COMPLETELY FREE :) For every mile that you run (or walk) it will donate 25c to the Charity or your choice (such as a shot for life, habitat for humanity, world wild life fund, stand up to cancer, and much more). While running it keeps track of how far you've gone, how much money you have raised, and will even translate it to how far that money actually goes (the other day I ran for the ASPCA, earned $1.50 and it translated into 4 vacines for shelter animals!) SO I guess what I am trying to say is that if you absolutely have no will to lace up and hit the pavement, you can find motivation by making it bigger than yourself :) Sorry, I'm passionate about that.

Also, I am very prone to sports injury as well, primarily in my ankles. What works for me is to invest in at least one good pair of compression parts (or socks) and spend at least five minutes warming up and cooling down and stocking the freezer with a few ice packs just in case :)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
smogie_michele

Postby Sakura Blossom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Awww, that's so cool, Smogie! I wish it was plausible for me to run because I'd do that in a heartbeat! :D I'm really excited to exercise today, though, and do my pilates. MY body is sore from yesterday, so I gotta keep up with it!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Sakura Blossom

Postby Sakura Blossom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:01 pm

I've started Pilates now and am planning on trying to take this pretty seriously. If you guys want a really intense work out, I would suggest checking this out:

http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2014/12/ ... -for-2015/

She's really cool and really great with keeping you motivated! But let me tell you... This is INTENSE! But I'm pretty sure I believe now, that Pilates gets you results. I'm only two days in and I can tell you every part of my body is feeling it.

Sakura Blossom

Postby Vesca » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm more into yoga and walks these days. I'm often caught in this annoying cycle where when I have time to do yoga or take a walk, it's too late or I'm just too exhausted. And when I have the time, I find myself driven to do other things (like reading). I just really need to start making a point of simply "doing" it when I have that time.

My new strategy is to take a camera out on walks and practice my photography skills. But we'll see.

Though I have in the past done a wee bit of dancing, cheerleading, and martial arts. Nothing for long enough to be a pro at it though. :)
Vesca

Postby Thistle » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:56 pm

Well, dance team was more than 10 years ago..I'm much smarter about it now. haha.

I actually really enjoy stretching a lot. I've started stretching, and doing wall push ups. (I have like no upper body strength, so trying to work up to a real push up) I'm hoping to figure out a cardio like work out that works for me as well. The bf and I also went on our first hike last week! We took the wrong trail (no sign at the start haha) and ended up on a more difficult than the one we planned. lol Going to make sure it's the right trail next time. Our little dog had a blast though.

My bf also got a letter from his appointment. His cholesterol is really high so working on switching to things for that. He keeps buying asparagus and I hate it. But he wants to eat it lol so I give in. He can be so stubborn about getting healthy so I'm just trying to go along with what he will do/eat.
Thistle

Postby Sakura Blossom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:46 pm

I like yoga too, but I've been finding myself having more energy the past two days because I've started Pilates. Due to my chronic illness, I'm usually crashing by now and unable to do much of anything. However, I just made a full course meal! I'm super pleased with what's happening and I will be surprised if I don't have a rockin' bod after a few months of this. ^_^

And good for your bf, Thistle! I'd do the same, honestly. Anything that would help him get his cholesterol down is highly imperative. ^_^ I hope it improves soon!

Sakura Blossom

Postby Thistle » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:43 pm

I finally remembered to download the Charity Miles app last night. I tried it out today. I clocked 1 mile just by going for coffee. I don't drive so I walk places a lot, usually the store...and sometimes I walk my dog around the apartments. This app might encourage me to walk even more. Since we're starting to hike, it's definitely good. But now I need to find my camera so I can still take pictures lol
Thistle

Postby Sakura Blossom » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:52 am

That's really awesome! I might do this just for walking so that donations can be made. ^_^

I put in my data from today, about my exercising and my diet today (I'm trying to use myfitnesspal) and it said that if everyday were like today, then I'd lose about 11.7 pounds in 5 weeks. ^_^

Sakura Blossom

Postby Sakura Blossom » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:39 am

Ugh, I broke down a bit tonight. I was stressed and I'm super hungry! Unfortunately, though, I can't eat as much as I usually do. I'm an emotional eater and I don't know when to stop eating which sucks. So that means being strict about when I eat and how much I eat. :/ I'm definitely making foods that are fun and interesting for me, it's just difficult when you're trying to cut your portions down. I just want to eat anything and everything! And I miss all the fast food I can't eat because of my Celiac Disease... It's just one of those nights, but I'll get through it. I know it'll get easier. ^_^

Sakura Blossom

Postby smogie_michele » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:20 am

I'm a very average sized person. I work my ass of to stay floating around a medium-ish, but after going through rehab for eating disorders I have learned that I cannot focus on my dress size,rather focus on how healthy and strong I actually am... But while I was walking my dogs today a lady stopped me and asked me "when are you due?" I was shocked and said I wasn't, so she raised her eyebrow and said, "You're not the pregnant lady that moved upstairs? Are you sure you aren't expecting?" I wanted to cry.
What is wrong with people? First, that is rude. Second, It makes other people feel badly about their body. Third, be careful who you are saying this to because some people have spent 6 months in patient and 2 years out patient overcoming an eating disorder and is finally celebrating being healthy, not skinny.

Sorry, I figured that this was the place to complain about people being negative about body image. Like I said, I've been through rehab- "skinny" and got nothing on "healthy," I know that. What the woman said to me was incredibly hurtful to me, but it made me think of everyone on here supporting one another on their path to healthy. I can run a 10k easy, I could have never done that when I was smaller in the waist. Body shaming is the most hateful thing anyone could ever do, especially to themselves. We are our own worst enemies anyways ;)
So I guess what I am saying is forget the number on the scale. Focus on what your body is capable of doing, not the image you have in your mind of the person on the cover of magazines. Forget the word "fat" and embrace the word "strong."

We are all beautiful creations and deserve to be treated as the wonderful pieces of art that we are- especially by ourselves :D
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
smogie_michele

Postby YanaKhan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:37 am

Play me
Don't worry, smogie_michele, there are rude and nasty people everywhere. My boss is always on my back about my weight (and my BMI is 21, not overweight by any means). She would say things like: "Oh, you've gained during the holidays" or "You need to lose a bit" and she tends to say these things in front of other people. And I too struggled with eating disorder. It's just some people have no idea what respect and tact is.
Just remember that these are deeply unhappy people, they need to put others down, so they can feel better about themselves. If you don't let them put you down, you make them more miserable.
When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!
No battle is over until I win!
"Imagination creates reality". Richard Wagner
YanaKhan

Postby Thistle » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:48 pm

You have to just ignore people. It's a pain that people feel the need to comment on others. I'm naturally underweight...I've been asked if I'm anorexic and people tell me I need to eat. When my depression is at it's peak, I eat less, but most of the time I eat plenty. I really like food. A doctor was happy with me being 108. For how I'm built, maintaining that was good.

I don't really like the 'chart' telling you what you should weight. I mean, it's a good basic guideline I think but it's not always right. I can weigh less than it tells me I should. It says my bf should be less than he likely ever will. Because of his amount of body mass. When he exercises, he loses, but he also replaces a lot of fat with muscle.
Thistle

Postby Sakura Blossom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:54 pm

Urrgh. I fell off the wagon. I was doing so well the past two weeks! And I'm still doing a decent job. But I managed to eat out three times with money I don't have and fast food. Ugh. It keeps happening but I'm getting better. I know that my road to eliminating all of this will be full of temptation and I'll fall off the wagon more. It just means that I have to get back on.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Sakura Blossom

Postby Thistle » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Went on another hike yesterday! I'm pretty sure the bf wanted to torture me. He CLAIMS he didn't know how difficult it was but I'm in pain today. It would have been nice to make it to the end but I really needed to head back down. lol Plus he wanted to catch the Red Sox game. But we made it! He slipped in his healthy eating a bit yesterday but hopefully we get back to it. I did get him to do some push-ups this morning! Not many, but it's been awhile. I should get back to my wall push ups so I can hopefully do a real one some day.

I made a raspberry pie. I know that may not have been the best idea but it's hard for me not to bake! lol
Thistle

PreviousNext

Return to For Everyone