*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Getting Started

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

Getting Started

Postby SpiritTalker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:37 pm

First off, welcome to new bees. :D These are just suggestions to get a new comer started in their practice. No one can tell you how to "witch". It is your own path based on your own intuitive relationship with natural forces. Folks here At EUTM will help, but to be authentic, we all have the privilege to figure this out for ourselves. So get acquainted with how to look things up for yourself, then ask questions. Take a good look around the forum, specifically in the WITCHCRAFT & WICCA 101 Table of Contents for starters. In case you're wondering, Wicca is a pagan religion and witchcraft is a skill set. Look up terms that are new to you.

Get a notebook and pen. Jotting things down will help you to organize your thoughts, & sort out interests and questions that will help you discover your personal path. Your personal journal will teach you more than any Other book on the Craft. Establish a fairly regular reading, writing/reflecting routine. Make notes about what you feel is workable for your situation. What follows here is basic, and meant to be generic and thus could fit into any future path that calls to you.

Nine possible practices to start with are given below, broken down into three sets, and described further along in the article. The 1st triad is on personal energy. Just practice grounding, centering & shielding every day. Yes, every day, for a couple months or more, and whenever you need it, thereafter. Just about everything you do as a witch will depend on how true to yourself you are in doing these three things.

Grounding your energy
Centering meditation
Shielding meditation

Once you have established a routine and can comfortably and reliably ground, center and shield, add on the next three-some relating to sacred space. These might be done weekly:

Cleansing space
Raising energy
Creating sacred space

After getting the three personal energy steps of grounding, centering and shielding and adding on the spacial steps of cleansing space, raising energy and creating sacred space, the next step is encoding or programming energy. This sets the scene for ritual and spell casting. The first two triads gave you a teasing taste of it. You know how energy feels by now. (If not, back up & review.) So add on the next set on moving energy:

Directing energy with intent
Psychically charging items
Consecrating tools

Meanwhile, in your "spare time", :) get an idea on what your current understanding is about your spiritual beliefs. What does spiritual development mean to you?

And consider what it is you want from a spiritual practice. Do you want to engage in a form of worship? Or are you seeking an understanding of the Universe? If you know what you are seeking, you can better direct your interests and time.

Do you only want to learn the magical side, the craft-side of witchcraft?

What attracts you to Wicca/paganism?

Can you fit Wicca into your life, or are changes needed? What changes?

What do you think witchcraft is? What does it have to do with your spirituality?

There are no right or wrong responses. You just want to know what you think at this starting point. There are many downloadable e-books on-line. Check the media section for book suggestions. And by all means, get a calendar that has moon phases noted on it, or print one.

IF you are interested in a particular kind of witchcraft of a non-northern European culture, research that first. You don't have to do British Wicca.

At some point in your research, IF you are interested in Wiccan history, look up Charles Leland, Gerald Gardner and Doreen Valiente. What do they have to do with Wicca?

In your note book write about why you think Wicca includes a god and goddess, and what you believe about them. Again, no right or wrong responses. Just get to know your thoughts and beliefs.

What are your general thoughts on deity?

Do you want to work with a deity personality, or does something more abstract appeal to you? or neither?

Do different cultures interest you? Who are their gods? What are they like? You can choose to invite the God/Goddess with their titles or as forces of nature to witness your circle casting. Don't worry about specific names yet. It takes time to know them.

And some tips:

MAKE DAILY PRACTICE ACCESSIBLE. Practice grounding, centering and shielding while doing ordinary activities like standing in line at the grocery store or when you shower. Touch trees, greet the Earth, Sun and Moon. Meditate in short, manageable sessions, using counted breathing. It sets you up to succeed.

KNOW YOUR LOCALE. Know about your geographic location, it's history, and the lay of the land and your neighborhood. Get out and feel Nature. Feel the Earth's energies at dawn, noon, dusk, & midnight.

WHEN EVER YOU'VE RAISED ENERGY, EITHER RELEASE IT TO A REAL GOAL OR GROUND IT WHEN DONE. This protects you from over-flow.

CLOSE WHAT YOU OPEN. Whether it's a gateway, an invitation to spirits or Deity, a spell or circle, finish what you start. Thank and release what you summon or invite. Break the connection - Every. Single. Time. It prevents attracting energy feeders.

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF. Respect the Earth. She is your Mother.

NEVER SUMMON WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DISMISS OR BANISH. You aren't fooling around here. That includes deity, elemental forces, spirits, energies.

KEEP YOUR PERSONAL ENERGY BALANCED. This means be aware of your ups 'n downs, highs and lows, and the elemental forces within your body. If your mouth is dry, you need Water. If you're too warm, you have too much Fire. When you giggle too much or are Air/light-headed and hungry, you need Earthing and food. And when you're down and sluggish, a breath of Air and deep breathing will restore you.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Re: Getting Started

Postby smogie_michele » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:41 pm

I wish I had this advice when I first started practicing :)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions! I am here to help.
smogie_michele
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Bychan Wulf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:54 pm

It's awesome that new members can have it all in one place now. :-) It took me a few weeks to discover all these hehe
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Bychan Wulf

Postby moonraingirl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:57 am

This is a great post, ST. Very informative and simple are the same time
moonraingirl

Postby SpiritTalker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks for your comments.:) I hope newbies will find it helps control the information overload swirling around in their heads so it's more fun.

Three book suggestions: Scott Cunningham's Wicca-A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, is exactly what the title says, and gives basic beliefs and a way to practice; Raven Grimassi's Wiccan Mysteries gives more in depth coverage of beliefs, rituals, deities and background on why Wiccans do what they do; and Ann Moura's Green Magic is an earth based magical how-to so you can write your own spells.

WHAT DOES ENERGY FEEL LIKE? People feel it different ways, as tingling, heat or warmth, tickling on the skin, a cool touch, or see it visually like mist, light, smoke or sparks. Some people mention hearing it rather like white noise too, or that it smells like ozone, like thunder & lightening. Some folks get jittery. So the physical senses do pick it up.

Scott Cunningham suggests in "Wicca-A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" to rub the hands together, then hold them with palms facing each other. Slowly separate the hands and move them together again. You should feel a subtle resistance. That's the energy of your body. You can play around with it, then push it into your stomach, which is a way to ground it.

WHERE DOES THIS ENERGY COME FROM? It's all around us, emanating from everything that exists and is caused by the relationship between everything. (personally, I call it the fire-between-the-atoms). It has many names: prana, manna, chi, orgone are a few.

HOW DO WE CONNECT WITH THIS FREE ENERGY? We connect with thought, because energy follows thought. We use our force of will, our desire. We think it, we want it. We use the gift of our imagination to visualize it. And we use words, which are the sounds of thoughts, to strengthen the link. Repetition adds strength. We think it, we feel it, we say it. That's my personal break down of it.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Ashrend » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:59 am

Thank you for this list. Its really helpful, feel like i skipped ahead a little so getting the basics done will really help

devon
Ashrend

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks. I've got some more...

We hear lots of recommendations to meditate, and beginners may not have a clue what this involves. And how does someone start taming their randomly gyrating thoughts? It starts with breathing The breath carries the will. Since everybody does this, it's not that hard. Honest.

BREATH

The easiest breathing is slow, timed rhythmic in-and-out, at a comfortable level. Inhale counting one-to-four, hold-in four counts, exhale and hold-out, each for the same number of counts. So it's: in-2-3-4, hold-2-3-4, out-2-3-4, hold-2-3-4, repeat. This just quiets a person down. This is done for just a few minutes. When you want to increase your vitality, increase the count to 7. Don't strain at it because straining is counter-productive.

GROUNDING

While you're doing the four-count breathing is a good time to be visualizing your spine extending from the tail-bone into the Earth like a tap root on a tree, sinking into the ground to absorb nutrients and vitality on the inhales, as well as to carry away distress and anxiety on the exhales. Voila-you're grounding! If it's easier to see the roots going down from your feet, then do it. It's your visualization.

Some physical ways to ground are to touch the Earth with your bare feet, hold & stroke a palm-sized stone as you rock your body side-to-side, eat root vegetables raw or roasted, drink dandelion root tea. Use these when your visualization fails or if you're nervous.

BREATHING INTO CENTER

There's a quiet, still space within each of us. It's where we connect to our energy-body, that intermingles with and supports the physical body. It's generally in the solar-plexus area, although there are other locations where connections are made. For start-up use the belly-button as a general location on which to focus, and refine it as you feel more awareness. Focus your attention on yours. You want to breath into your belly. Sounds weird, but think of this exercise as building inner sacred space. When we center, we pull our power into ourselves. You know you're "getting it" when you are gently aware of being you, without letting physical/body sensations distract you. Focusing when meditating is just like charging a spell with intent.

This is a two-part breath work. Inhale into the belly so your lower abdomen inflates, then complete the inhale by breathing into your chest so the upper chest inflates. Then exhale. Use the four-count method again. Keep it comfortable and rhythmic. Counting doesn't have to be perfect, just rhythmic.

Belly-1-2, smoothly move to chest-3-4, hold-2-3-4, exhale-2-3-4, hold-2-3-4.

As long as you get the rhythm and stay comfortable, and focus your attention on your belly, you will get the centering effect. And from this many techniques grow. We can use the center as a jumping off point to meditation, prayer, visualization, and connecting to deity and to your power source, because when we center, we are linked from the Mundane Center to the Underworld Center and to the Cosmic Center.

SHIELDING

Ground your tap root. Breath into the belly. Imagine a golden glow radiating out from the belly to completely surround you and out-line your body like an aura. Every breath strengthens the shield. It stays in place and reinforces itself as you belly-breath. Yes, you can change the color. You can supe it up with more detailed imaging, like armor or mirrors, if you feel the need. It's a basic protection from negative thoughts, and energy-sucking people.

DRAWING DOWN THE MOON

Personally, my own solitary method is to stand outdoors in the path of the full Moon's light. I stretch out my awareness of my own aura, which i feel as being larger than the body-space i physically occupy. I push my awareness all the way to the edges of my space. I pull the moon light into me, rather similar to feeling the warmth of sunlight on the skin, only this is the moonlight. Then I pull my awareness from the edges of my space, along with the aura full of light, and draw back into my center point. I commune in silence.

STRAY THOUGHTS

Stray thoughts will wander in. Don't make an issue of it. Just return to the breath. You decide if your meditation is worth interrupting to pay attention to the thought or return to breathing focus. Some thoughts are worth following, as in a guided meditation. You flow out on the thought from the belly, and you return through the belly. You'll always find your way back this way. No sweat.

If you want to ponder a specific matter, breath into the belly to center, then ponder from center. Pose a question. Breath. Wait for a response from within center, and ignore the rest. That way you aren't wandering off chasing after dreams and irrelevant side issues. And you know what comes is worth looking at. Head chatter in this case is monkey chatter.

What does it mean if you feel a warm tingle? It means you have allowed your bodily sensations to distract you. Nothing more. Focus on your rhythmic breathing again, and forge onward.

This kind of breathing into an area works elsewhere as well, such as the heart and third eye areas, or crown at the top. Each area has it's usefulness, but that's not the starting place. Returning to the belly keeps us from going topsy-turvey. It pairs with grounding and that stabilizes us.

Now, different people have different methods. There are both sitting-still and get-up-and-moving meditation styles. You decide what works best at the moment to aid centering. The active type often envolve repetitive motions, or slow and deliberate fluid motions. The sitting-still methods at least start with erect posture.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Reason: Tweak
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:37 pm

THE FOUR POWERS OF THE WITCH:

Knowing, with that sense of quiet assurance that a thing is thus/so, is of Air and the Wand/Staff; Will is the single minded determination to stay the course, and of Fire; Daring is sheer guts, the chutzpah to follow your inner wisdom, and is of Water & the vessel; Silence is inner solitude that let's the inner voice of wisdom be heard, and is of Earth & the offering.

ALTAR

Altars are places of personal interaction with the Divine. The Divine in Nature surrounds us, and many witches don't use altars, but will have a working space. In your own solitary practice you might choose to have a temporary altar that is set up for a ritual and then taken down, or if you have the space you might leave it set up permanently. Any flat surface will serve. The surface, and the things you put on it, should be ritually cleansed and consecrated when it is set up.

IF you follow a Western Occult tradition, and Wicca does, then the altar is divided into 3 sections. Altar energy moves left-to-right. The left side is the feminine energy side and anything associated with shaping or receptive energy goes there. Feminine energy, like the womb, gives shape to unformed substances. The elements of Earth and Water, and tools like cups & bowls are considered feminine. The right side is the masculine energy side, and anything associated with active or projective energy goes there. Masculine energy propels & activates. Air and Fire, wands & blades are masculine. And then the center is where these two blend & work together. Thus a pentacle patan usually gets placed in the middle, as it represents all the forces together &' is used to empower items placed on it.

Place an altar in the center of a workspace if you won't kick it over, or inside the north or east rim of a working circle if you need more room to move around. North aligns with Earth, the pole star, magnetic flow. East aligns with Air, sunrise, awakening. It's your choice.

A basic Wiccan altar might use 1-2 candles to represent the God and Goddess, which get placed where you won't burn yourself reaching over them. The elemental powers representations can be combined to reduce clutter. Blend a dish of blessed salt-H2O for Earth/Water, & use a heat safe holder with cone/stick incense for Air/Fire. These two combinations will both consecrate with water & fire and bring the Elements onto the altar. Nothing else needs to be present when one is beginning. The Deities and Elements are represented and there are no working tools or food offerings as yet. You can add personal decor as you choose. (See the EUTM Altar Pictures section for inspiration.)

When open flames & smoke are not permitted, substitute things that you associate with the Deities like pictures, stones, flowers or figurines. You can use Battery powered candles to represent fire and/or Deity. A scented reed diffuser, spicy potpourri or a fragrant, yellow rose can serve for elemental Air very nicely. Seashells can represent water and stones for earth.

The tools vary by path & personal choice as well. They are elemental symbols, acting as gateways between the mundane & etheric worlds. What they symbolize to you is the best way to select which ones to use. I'll have some suggestions further on in the text, but the standards in Western Occultism are cup, blade, wand, pentacle, censer, bell, cloth covering, cord and a ritual scourge (largely done away with). These tools come from ceremonial magic and were adopted for Gardnerian Wicca.

The cup holds the libation (or water) as an offering; a censer holds incense as an offering; a pentacle is used to charge/empower; a bell's sound clears and opens ritual space; a simple altar cloth protects a table from spills, whereas an embroidered one can convey powerful sigils as well.

The staff is an old sign of authority to command and to travel freely between one realm and another. It's miniature form is the wand which is generally used to direct magical will when the blade would be too aggressive. Some traditions prefer to cut only etheric energy with the athame.

The cord (a.k.a. Measure) is a braided cord, plaited by the Wiccan's own hand, and worn around their waist during rituals. It measures from the crown of the brow (3rd eye), down the spine to the heel, plus heel-to-toe. It is a very private item as it holds the Wiccan's personal, psychic energy signature. It is used to reinforce one's will during spells, and for cord magic.

You could experiment with a variety of altar themes in addition to your main working altar, adding an offering shrine for Deity; using a single theme such as mementos of your family ancestors or guardian spirits & guide, the Fae, Land, or family prosperity spirits are some examples.

CLEANSING SPACE

It's helpful to work in an energy cleansed area to reduce psychic conflicts, so we clear our space before casting. The most popular methods appear to be both physical sweeping with a broom to pick up debris, and energy-sweeping in determined gestures with the flat hand or broom to stir up the essence and clear off the counter-productive cooties; spritzing with blessed salt-water or incensing to clear away psychic interference; or fuming with fanned smoke from palo santos sticks, or dried twigs of white sage bush or cedar tree. All motions are done in a counter-clockwise spiral, working from the center towards the outside boundary, or from east-to-west to flow with the sun.

If (like me) you can't tolerate smoke, (or aren't allowed to burn incense), you can hang a faceted glass sun catcher in a window to distribute rainbows of sun light. Or place energy clearing white stones, like white quartz & selenite, or negativity absorbing black stones like tourmaline & obsidian, in the corners of a room. Or state your intent along with ringing a clear-toned bell.

While we're on the subject of cleansing, soaking crystals with salt-water can erode some soft stones. Lengthy exposure to sun might fade the colored quartz stones. Placing crystals in full, unobstructed MOONLIGHT is a safe method for cleansing any stone. Kyanite, selenite, shungite are self-cleansing and can also be used to clear other stones, by laying them around the grimy one over night.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:37 pm

RAISING and DIRECTING ENERGY

Energy's all around us, and it's free, and able to be channeled by our thoughts, and that's how spells are powered. We serve as a hollow conduit through which energy flows. As usual, there's no one right way to do this. We can raise energy with breath-work, or by physical actions like spinning & dancing, & with drumming, clapping and rhythmic noise making. Those are self explanatory, and another way is by visualization.

Ground and center. Imagine the spine's tap root pulling up Earth Light into your belly. Pull up on the soles of your feet by rocking on your heels, to physically reinforce the thought. Then imagine you pull Cosmic Light through the crown at the top of your head and down from the sky. Imagine pulling this light into your belly. Pull down by dropping your jaw to reinforce the thought. Feel the energies pool, swirling together in the belly until it is boiling and ready to burst from the seams. Now-PUSH from the gut, pushing up to and out from your arm through your extended Index & middle fingers. You should be pointing at the ground for now, as a test run. Look where you point to focus your thoughts on directing the flow of power. In order to be used, energy must be instructed in a few words to accomplish a desired goal. When it's raised but not used, you should ground it. This protects you from overload & gives it back to Mother Earth.

One use for your practice energy is to do a self-healing, laying your charged hands on your body, moving from lowest-to-highest areas of your groin, stomach, lungs and heart, and back down the thighs to ground and end the connection. As your hands rest briefly at each area, push the energy into your body. Say to yourself "I am well" or use another present-tense affirmation.

You might feel an assortment of mild heat or tingling sensations. You may get light headed or giddy. Ground the energy back down the tap root, and stop pulling. Shake your arms and hands like shaking water droplets off your fingers. Shuffle your feet and break the connection.

Every time you raise energy, either ground it or release it to a specific target that you hold in your mind, so you end it and break the connection. Otherwise you'll be spacey or jittery. Eating some carbs helps too.

EDIT - if visualization isn't your strong point yet, you can still raise energy with physical activity like clapping. A fun way of clapping uses unique rhythm. Each X is a clap, and each - dash - is a pause:
X X X X - X X - X X,
X X X X - X X - X X,
X X X X - X X X X,
X

Repeat the whole sequence as desired, then make the last & final single clap loud, accompanied by a shout HEY! at the same time you release by pushing out and exhaling to let it go.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:54 pm

CASTING A CIRCLE & RITUAL

There are several excellent discussions about casting circle on the forum. This outline is totally basic and generic. Most Wiccans seem to agree the circle is cast to hold your energy, and form a base for your cone of power, until you are ready to release it; thus a circle aids our workings. As sacred space, a circle is set apart from mundane influences. From experience, I can tell you a solid circle holds heat! I consider casting a circle is like tidying up before guests arrive & clearing enough space for everyone to sit.

The Calling rituals that follow the actual laying of the circle are like a formal invitation to the Powers to request the pleasure of their company. If you aren't working with them, don't call them. If you DO work with them, then it's good hospitality to offer your guests food and drink as you would at your home, as well as see each guest to the door when the party's ended.

Candles or lanterns at the four directions provide light to see the boundary, and serve like turning on the porch light so invited guests can find your door. If you are not Calling Quarters, then just one light might be placed at North. I'm in favor of battery powered lights out doors in wind, & for fire safety.

To cast a circle:

Ground and center yourself first. Raise energy however you like, by visualizing, chanting, dancing, rhythmic clapping. Usually Wiccans walk the circumference three times clockwise to increase energy, always ending where you started. Bless the salt-water & incense (see "making holy water").

1. Consecrate by sprinkling salt-water & wafting incense around border; also intro's 4 elements.
2. Walk the circumference clockwise, pointing to direct your power & charge the border.
3. Mark the four directions to reinforce the four ways, if needed.
4. State the work you are going to do.

That is all there is to the casting of a circle. Anything after this is the ritual itself.

Most Wiccans combine the circle casting with their ritual of formally calling the four directions' elemental powers to their aid, although the Elements are already present in the Consecration. Say something like "Hail to" Earth or Air, Fire, Water. "I call to you to guide my rite." while facing each direction individually. Then the presence of Deity is evoked. Greet, do not summon, the Deities from the circle's center, saying "Hail and be welcome here Lady and Lord of Nature." Thereafter, the seasonal celebrations are enjoyed (this is time for merriment) or other working is done. Finally, the blessing & sharing the ritual meal is done as thanks giving.

You must also release and farewell each guest individually at the end, like seeing your guests to the door "Our rite is ended. If go thee must, be it with love and trust."

Last, you dissipate the charged circle by walking the circumference in reverse.

A simple circle is quite workable for general meditations, astral travel, spell work & divinations. Some people feel a full formal ritual circle is required for all religious celebrations as well as magical endeavors, and others, not so much. You can make your own decision.

The four cardinal directions of north, east, south, west form a cross-road ( +, X ) meeting at the center where all differences are resolved. All four ways are equal paths to power. While you are in the middle, all is balanced. When you ground and center, you also connect above and below ( | ). It helps to take a few moments to let the directions settle upon you, like a GPS system locking-in your position. Always dissolve the circle when you're finished, and clean up. If you worked out doors it's courteous to leave no sign of your activity behind.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:32 pm

CHARGING WITH INTENT

We psychically charge spell materials with our will-power of intention by drawing power to center, and pushing energy through the palms of the hands and our gaze, into the item while visualizing the desired outcome. We can reinforce the intent with our words.

If you hold your palms flat and facing away from you, then join your two index fingers together and your two thumbs together, you form a magical "triangle of manifestation" window to peer through. This focusses your intention onto the item being charged, and aims the power points in your palms towards the item as well.

In plain English, think about what you want, feel it in your gut, and push the thought into something you are using to hold the spell. Or use your wand if you made one.

Rub a bit of olive oil on the item first. A living substance like olive oil will hold a psychic charge better than the naked item because prana or orgone energy is attracted to a living substance. That's one reason why spell oils are used.

CONSECRATING TOOLS

Consecrating is to reserve and dedicate something for sacred use, such as the altar and tools. The expendable spell materials do not need consecrating because they are transformed when used up. Items should be appropriately cleaned first, then consecrated with Fire and/or Water, then verbally dedicated to a purpose. The tools mentioned with the 4 powers were wand, fire, vessel and offering. In mundane terms, that's a stick, candle, bowl, and bread. For this start-up, just the wand needs consecrating; the candle flame IS the element of Fire & needs no blessing, the bowl & bread will get blessed when a meal is shared.

The wand, for example, might be fumigated with incense smoke, then awakened with one's own breath-of-power (breath carries will) infusing life-force into the wood, then held high & introduced to the Four Winds (waft it around). All three methods are associated with Air, the element assigned to the wand. It can then be energetically charged, while making a statement of what it is to do, such as - "Wand of Wood, you now serve as a directing channel of life force, and you grow in power with each use by my hand alone." If you wish, bless it in the name of the Lady and Lord of Nature (or your choice of belief). Make up your own heart-felt wording.

You could awaken the tool by other elemental forces, touching the cleansed tool with a bit of all 5 elements: fuming with incense, passing it over flame, dipping it in rain water, dusting it with soil from your property, and tracing a pentagram or equal arm cross sign on it with your finger.

SOME THOUGHTS ON WHAT TOOLS CAN MEAN

I've chosen the wand, candle-flame, bowl & offering as beginning tools because most people already have them in the house or can find them. I have not included the blade as some beginners might be under legal age, nor the pentacle which could raise some religious objections. A fancy stemmed chalice, or iron cauldron can raise unwanted questions, but bowls can hold little trinkets when not being magically used.

Magical tools can represent the creative forces of Nature, the active or "male" and the passive or "female" principles. Two symbols of these forces of flux and reflux are the rod/wand which is male & used for directing energy, and the containing vessel/bowl which is female, & used for molding energy. A third creative principle is union, out of the dark void from which the two opposing forces originated. This transforming force can be symbolized by the flame amidst the night darkness. There are certainly more complex ways of thinking of the tools, beyond the purpose of this intro.

Tools serve as symbols to reinforce these creative associations within our minds, and thus stimulate and strengthen the focus of the magical will. Tools are symbols to our minds, and open mental pathways. They act as gateways between the seen and unseen. They have no power in themselves (except what we give them) and you may freely choose not to use them. Tools do not define the witch. The witch defines the tool.

TO MAKE A WAND

Go for a walk after a storm to find a recently fallen branch about as thick as your finger. Leave an offering of a few strands of your hair, or a couple pinches of corn meal. Use a saw to trim your wand to the length of your elbow to finger tips. Snip off any twigs as close to the surface as possible. You can leave the bark on or trim it off with a vegetable peeler if the wood is green, or utility blade if it is older. Sand the surface with a coarse-grade of sand paper, then with a fine-grade. Paint or wood-burn any design you choose. Dab with a small amount of beeswax furniture polish, lemon oil or linseed oil on a cloth to seal & protect the wood.

If you want a live branch, appeal to the tree spirit for permission and wait for the response. If it is not given, move on. Cut in a cold season at dusk/dawn so the sap is not running, or the tree will bleed. Cut cleanly with a pruning saw. Bury an offering of corn meal amidst the roots. (Jiffy Cornbread Mx is inexpensive.)
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:42 pm

CHARGING MOON WATER

We can make some power-filled water by capturing the Full Moon's reflection in a clear jar or bowl of water. Full Moon empowered drinking water can be used as a base for potions, with appropriate herbs and spices simmered in the water like making a cup of tea, or used for cleansing by adding a pinch of sea salt, or dried rosemary. Spell petition papers can be spritzed with or soaked in the water and dried before inscribing, and then charged as usual.

Some additives might be a few drops of lemon juice, jasmine oil or white rose petals that can be strained out later...or not. Your choice. :D
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:46 pm

MAKING HOLY WATER
(and a word or two about salt)

Holy water is used for cleansing. The salt is known to neutralize psychic energy clinging to things. The churchy-method is to bless the salt, then the water, and add them together. Hold your hands over the bowl, but there's no need to charge it with energy, as the salt will neutralize it. Words of blessing are spoken with the "boss-voice" of authority, such as:

Creature of Salt, you are a source of purity and life. I bless you in the names of the Earth Mother and of the Horned Lord of Nature.
Creature of Water, you are life giving and cleansing. I bless you in the name of the Lady of the Moon

1-3 pinches of salt is then added to about a cup of water, and stirred (or swirled.)

If you'd rather not personify nature, than substitute Earth, Sun and Moon.

The blessed water can be stored in a lidded jar. The water itself can be tap water, or from a living source. A blessing means you are giving your OK for the cleansing action. It is not charging the water with any power, but is removing obstacles by removing dissent & opposition, which is exactly how you want the blessed water to perform. You are showing it how to behave.

In circles and rituals you can use a similar Lady and Lord blessing for the incense. "Creature of transforming Fire and Air, I bless you in the names of the Lady and the Lord of Nature."

A thanksgiving token meal can likewise be blessed with a simple phrase, "In the names of the Lady and Lord of Nature, and with a grateful heart, I bless this offering to bring good cheer."

If you're a kitchen witch, think about removing the salt shaker from the table if you are going to conjure the meal. Think about it...salt neutralizes psychic energy. Period. That is why it cleanses. So be aware of how you use salt. It's my personal opinion that salt should be used with awareness, and responsibility. Who or what do you want to neutralize? Salt can't discriminate.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 am, edited 21 times in total.
Reason: Typo
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:05 pm

@binxyhollow...I think I may have gottn a bit carried away...but all for the cause, hey?
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Ashrend » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:45 pm

A lot of information but very VERY useful, thank you for all the information.

devon
Ashrend

Next

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft