*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Getting Started

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.

Re: Getting Started

Postby SpiritTalker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:14 pm

SIMPLE SOLITARY RITUAL FORMAT

1. Gather your tools & supplies, don't forget the matches, or offering, & spell stuff. Go to your ritual location.

2. Cleanse yourself & space, mark your boundary and 4 directions.

Note: Many Wiccans introduce the water/earth elements by walking the circle and sprinkling cleansing salt-water, then introduce the fire/air elements by walking around again with cleansing incense, then walk a 3rd time around to lay the charge.

3. Walk the rim and empower the circle. State the purpose of the rite.

4. Greet the Four Ways and welcome Deity if desired.

5. Perform the purpose. Raise power as needed by breath, clapping, chanting, dance or song & release charged energy to target; work spells, do divination, or meditate on the Day of Power, or full moon, as applicable.

6. Bless your offering, beverage or food. Share food or drink with the Earth. If you are out-doors, place the food directly upon the Earth and pour the libation onto the ground. If you are in-doors, place these in a cup/bowl to be taken outside immediately after concluding.

7. Thank Deity for the courtesy of their presence and bid farewell to the 4 elements if these were evoked. State that you have concluded the rite.

8. Disperse the circle by walking through it, or by walking the opposite direction that was used to cast, and grounding the energy. Clean up.

~~~
The 8 days of power (called Sabbats) reflect the annual changes of the seasons as the Earth progresses around the Sun. Contemplate these changes in Nature if you haven't chosen a single tradition. Each season has a God/Goddess story relevant to the culture of a tradition and reviewing their story is commonly done at the appropriate day.

The full Moon's (called Esbats) are times for spells, divinations and meditation upon facets of your path.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Ashrend » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:16 pm

As you seem to have the fountain of information. How would you go about cutting wood from a tree as part of making an altar? I have a table top that im going to cut to my desired shape. I know how to dry out the wood and treat it with beeswax, but how do you go about actually harvesting the wood directly from the tree to avoid moisture from the ground?

devon
Ashrend

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:05 pm

SPELL FORMAT

It's a good idea to use a pendulum or some other divination to ask if it is appropriate to do a spell you have in mind. If the response is negative, respect that. If it's OK and good to go, here are some aids.

1. Know your goal: health, love, prosperity, protection, wisdom

2. What's your purpose? attracting/gain, repelling/release, empowering

3. Time: attraction/gain works best as the moon grows (waxing moon); repelling/release is best done when the moon diminishes (waning moon). Personal empowerment & success of endeavors is done at Full Moon. Set a time limit so the spell concludes. (Optional).

4. Which of the Elements best serves your goal? They have general properties & symbolism. These are some standard suggestions, and of course there are variations in traditions.

Air - new beginnings, mental clarity, knowledge, East Quarter, yellow, feathers, smoke/scent
Fire - for vitality, will-power, friendships, South Quarter, red, candle, coals
Water - fertility, psychism, West Quarter, blue, potions, shells, mist, steam
Earth - endings, practical changes, North Quarter, green, grains, stones, cords, coins
Spirit - balance, soul travel, mysticism, Center, purple, crystal, bell

5. Like aids like. What do you have on hand that matches the power-link, the Element with the intent? These are the spell materials you will charge with your energized intention. Ex: starting a new project has Air connections so choose spell materials with the same associations to strengthen the link to this power. It is traditional to use an odd number of total ingredients, 1-13.

6. Chant or rhyme to recite for drawing power. Rhyme helps focus the will, and repetition strengthens intent.

7. Know your method, & use what you have on hand to hold the spell. Here are 13 examples:

Bottle/jar: holds a potion, herbs, stones infused with intent, can be displayed or hidden
Candle: loaded with willpower and is burned to release the intent
Charm Bag: herb and charm-filled pouch worn next to the skin for luck
Crystal Grids: template layouts of stones to enforce thought forms
Dream Pillow: herb and stone filled pouch to induce dreams, astral travel, or sleep
Knot Charm: cord tied with conjured knots to hold the spell until untied & released
Mandalas: concentric circle designs drawn or using feathers, petals, seeds, herbs, shells, stones
Potions: cooking herbs & spices simmered in moon water is sprinkled, dabbed-on or drank
Poppet: cloth, wax, or bread dolly filled with herbs & conjured for intent, buried or shared
Sigils: symbolic signs that artfully combine letters of words stating the goal; display or burn
Stones: psychically charged with intent, will hold the charge until dislodged or cleansed
Talisman: empowered luck piece, worn or carried (renew seasonally)
Witch's Ladder: string together feathers, twigs, herb bundles, charms; may be swung pendulum-like, hypnotically charged & hung up.

8. It is traditional to not discuss a spell until after it has manifested, lest you deplete and weaken the energy by drawing it back to you.

9. Breaking your connection to the spell and disposing of spent materials after the spell is fulfilled and manifested, is as much part of the spell as creating it. Botanicals can be composted or burned. Stones can be reused after cleansing, or returned to earth. Spent candle stubs can be put in the trash. Bottles & jars can be washed & reused. When dis-assembling the spell, use your spoken intent to decommission and end the spell. Remember we clean up after ourselves, dismiss what was summoned, and end what was begun. This important step keeps psychic energy from clinging to us & becoming psychic sludge that drains our power.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:01 pm

DAYS OF POWER

The days of power vary by traditions. Not all standard 8 have to be observed because we all live in environmentally different areas. There's a heap of difference between weather and seasonal patterns in the desert, the tropics, the midlands and mountains, and snow fields. We are free to choose to observe the dates that best suit our location, & not rigidly follow a calendar.

The four solar dates are the summer and winter solstices when the Sun appears as if it crosses the Earth's equator, lengthening and shortening daylight hours; and the spring and autumn equinoxes when day and night hours are equal. These periods signify the beginnings of seasonal changes, so are called lesser because the powers are getting started. Sunrise & sunset are the liminal, magical times between one season and the next. Times of transition summon power. It takes a bit over 365 days for the Earth to circle the Sun. The dates vary from 20th to 23rd of December, March, June and September.

The greater days are when the seasons energies crest. The names differ by tradition, and cultural languages. The dates are October 31/November 1, February 2, April 30/May 1, July 31/August 1. Midnight is the magic hour, the crest of the wave when the force breaks free.

Full Moons occur every 29.5 days which is how long it takes the moon to go around the earth, and get out of the Earth's shadow, and reflect the sunlight with it's fullness. The Moon's pull affects ocean tides, sap rising and falling, female menstrual cycles & male testosterone. It is a very real force. There are 13 full Moon's annually.

CONTINUING YOUR DEVELOPMENT

Okay, that's enough to get a person started practicing witchcraft. Your studies are self directed, and guided by your intuition and abilities. You might be called by a specific Deity and want to research them. You can continue with what appeals to you most. Some suggestions: learn elemental correspondences for spell planning; develop divination with cards, crystal-reading, runes/staves or pendulum; study metaphysical properties of gemstones & crystals; learn herbalism both magical properties and medical, & research safe wild plants in your locale; start a garden; develop necromancy & contact your ancestors; meet the Fae and enter fairy realms; do weather magic; learn about power animals and spirit guides; develop your psychic abilities; learn Yoga; learn Feng Shui. Take a class offered through a New Age shop, the local Museum, nature center or public garden. Visit the Library. Never stop journaling.

In time, you will know your own strengths and special talents. Follow what draws you. Learn what you can do for yourself and keep adding on. It never ends, but we are allowed to rest now and then. We can expect occasional dry seasons when we feel like everything is meaningless. This is normal. Nature is cyclical & we are part of Nature. It just means that one learning cycle has concluded, and the next has not yet begun. It passes in time, and new opportunities arrive.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:18 pm

binxyhollow wrote:As you seem to have the fountain of information. How would you go about cutting wood from a tree as part of making an altar? I have a table top that im going to cut to my desired shape. I know how to dry out the wood and treat it with beeswax, but how do you go about actually harvesting the wood directly from the tree to avoid moisture from the ground?

devon

I'm sorry, but I have no idea. I imagine once a tree is felled it can be cross cut into slabs if you have the proper saw and strength. It's way beyond me. Wouldn't you think wood slabs should be dried under pressure to prevent warping? How you'd do that, I have no idea, or experience but I'd bet a lumber mill can tell you. The ends of 2x4s are stamped with info that the wood was pressure treated when dried. Go to a Home Depo or Lowes and see their set up.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Ashrend » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:21 pm

I know how to make it. I mean more blessing the ground or tree, how to give it back what you are taking from that tree

devon
Ashrend

Postby Hagerman420 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:52 pm

binxyhollow wrote:I know how to make it. I mean more blessing the ground or tree, how to give it back what you are taking from that tree

devon

Maybe plant a seed for new growth of another tree?
Be Happy Stay Happy :)
Hagerman420

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:56 pm

If you were a hunter and killed a deer, how would you honor and give thanks for the gift of it's life force? Cutting down a tree is killing it, taking it's life force, & removing it as a habitat from the forest. Consider how to honor that and provide temporary shelter for the homeless and dispossessed land spirit dwelling within. It needs a place to move into, like a temporary spirit house. The likely place is if a portion of the tree is left intact, probably the roots will remain, but will eventually die. But a bundle of the twigs may be a possibility, or a fairy house.

I'm thinking of the corn dollies, made from the last sheafs of grain in to which the spirit of the harvest has fled. The dolls, like the Yule log, hold the spirit and are over-wintered and then burned and the ashes returned to the field, sort of shoving the spirit out and back into the soil.

A symbolic act is a real act in magic, so fashion a temporary home for the spirit. explain how the tree's sacrifice will be put to use, use up all of the tree eventually, as you would a deer carcass.

If the concept makes you feel foolish, ask yourself why you need to cut the tree down, for an altar of your religion. How will your altar serve the spirit of the tree? And will it serve the Deity with whom you commune? People used to worship trees at one time in history. Can you work with that?

Planting a new seed is a way of providing for the living essence of the tree you cut down.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Hagerman420 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:03 pm

The way the first nation people do it when they kill for food is give thanks to the spirit for allowing for them to take it's life to feed existing life.
Be Happy Stay Happy :)
Hagerman420

Postby Ashrend » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Thank you thats a great set of questions. I wouldnt be killing the tree, just taking a small part of it. I dont know my gods or goddess other than arthemis yet but i know nature is integral to me. I do like the idea of making or buying a bird house to place in the tree for which im harvesting the wood from. I would take fallen branches but they get soaked and ruined easily

devon
Ashrend

Postby Ashrend » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Would the tools in which i prep the tree branch need blessing or consecrating?

devon
Ashrend

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:18 pm

No, I don't think so. Your intent will honor the life force. But you might wipe the blade down with alcohol so you don't transfer any tree diseases. I do that when pruning roses from bush to bush.

I like your idea of the bird house :mrgreen:

Edit: hmm, I thought about this overnight. I did a head smack as I remembered I had consecrated my gardening tools. But I used them again and again in the same location, as you would use altar tools again and again at the location of your altar. So, I'm gonna fudge out and say it's up to you. Your intent at the occasion of a one-time pruning is sufficient for the purpose.

EDIT: and leave an offering, of course. Doh. Whenever we glean from Nature, leave an offering as apology for disturbing the spirit involved.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Ashrend » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Alright thank you for the info, i think il take my time and either wait for a storm and go searching for one or wait til the time feels right to go harvest the wood. Il consecrating my gardening toola anyway as i want to grow some of my own herbs, so trimming or digging them up il need it

devon
Ashrend

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:45 pm

LAYING THE COMPASS

There are non-Wiccan methods to prepare a liminal area (a place between) in which to work, and I think beginners should have an inkling of multiple ways of doing things. I believe this form comes from Peter Paddon's "Cunning Folk Grimoire". The long staff (which represent the World Tree) or forked Stang (which represents the Horned God) is used to trace the compass (circle) onto the ground. Walk WIDDERSHINS (counter-clockwise) to stir the earth. The Earth is already sacred.

Hold the staff in the left hand, left being linked to the underworld, and starting at North, drag the staff pressing down lightly as if to plow a furrow into the EARTH. Visualize the plow stirring and waking up the land.

Make a hissing sound, or chant, to induce trance as you walk, deep breathing to hiss AIR.

When you feel the Land forces response, conclude circling where you started, at North and stand the staff as a gateway if other people will join you, then move it to the center of the compass to mark the place where the three worlds & cross roads meet.

Rinse your hands and face in some WATER you have ready, to cleanse yourself.

Light the FIRE in your fire pit, BBQ, cauldron or light a candle or lantern. The compass is made. The four elements are present. Non-Wiccans generally don't evoke Deity (it's entirely up to you) but might invite a familiar spirit as part of their observance.

Pay a token coin to the Land Spirits for the use of the Sacred Land. Just flip a coin of any denomination over your shoulder and leave it there. State the purpose for which you've laid down the compass, state the work to be done. Then proceed with that purpose.

When done, state that the task for which you came is completed and thank the spirits for their aid. If you evoked anything, farewell it. Ground excess energy. Clean up.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SpiritTalker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:58 pm

BROOM CLOSET

Many beginners feel a need to keep their practice low key and under wraps. Exploring new beliefs can sometimes be at odds with one's home life. I don't recommend bold face deceitfulness or deception. However, I do support free-thinking, exploring & making our own decisions. You can be discrete without being sneaky. You don't want to create drama that will injure your relationships.

If you are going to be on this Wiccan path, there is no room for "I can't..." thinking. Magical living is all about getting around obstacles and making your goals happen. There is always a way. It's up to you to be up to the challenge and to find it.

You can have an altar if you want. Find symbolic representations of the Elements & Deity. For example: shells can be both Water symbols and Moon Deity, stones can be both Earth symbols and Earth Deity. A potted plant can represent earth in soil & root, water in moistening & stem, air in it's leaf, spirit in it's life-force, flower and scent. A reddish, terra cotta clay pot can symbolize Fire. And it can become a plant-familiar as it's nurtured. Feed your altar by spending some time there every day. It's a good place to be to write in your notebook.

You can do spells, within a subtle circle. Any household item can be repurposed for tools. It's fun, & also it is traditional to discover magical uses for ordinary items, which is what all witches have done throughout history. Only Priests and Priestesses in religious temples had fancy magical regalia and sacred vessels. The average practitioner made do. You can charm any bit of clothing, shoes or jewelry with power.

Ordinary things have magical uses:
Salt, Pepper, Sugar Packets - use to purify, banish and sweeten situations respectively
Dandelion - flower, leaf, root have multiple magical properties
Ribbon, Yarn - use for cord magic, use saved gift wrap ribbon for extra power from gifting
Bowls, Cups & Saucers - hold incense, candles & offerings, or as mortar & a spoon as pestle
Jars - use for storage, hurricane lanterns, candle holders
Shot glasses - use as candle holders, candle snuffers, incense burners, crystal stands
Pins, Nails, Pen - use to inscribe candles
Handkerchiefs, Socks, Coffee Filters - use as pouches for storage & as charm bags
NOTE: use a layer of sand or coarse salt to absorb heat from hot incense coals or cones

Shop in Nature. Use beach sand, pebbles, seashells, feathers, flowers for power grids. Use any palm-sized stone that is special to you, and stroke the stone while you sway to-and-fro & vividly visualize your goal. The stone will hold the thought until you cleanse it. Pick a bouquet of weeds, grasses and flowers to stand in a glass of water. Look up what properties those weeds and flowers have to offer. Woven stems, grasses & twigs become wreaths, God's Eye or Bridget crosses, when woven with magical intent. There's power in everything because it all has spirit. The fun is in identifying and working with your witching power and the thousands of forms spirit takes in Nature.

Drawing paper mandalas and sigils in different alphabets can get the creative juices flowing. Wear inscribed papers inside a shoe. Add these sketches to your notebook. Keep a record. This will someday become your Book or grimoire.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 am, edited 25 times in total.
Reason: Yweaking
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

PreviousNext

Return to Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft