*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Effective spells and rituals with simple or no supplies?

If you'd like to share a spell or ritual or start your own online Book of Shadows, feel free to do so here.

Effective spells and rituals with simple or no supplies?

Postby lisian-in-secret » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:41 pm

As I've been researching for certain spells, so many of them are so elaborate and require a lot of things. As I am a college student still living at home I don't have the freedom or finances to obtain most of the items required to perform certain to most spells. Do any of you have or know of any spells that may require simple things like olive oil or salt, or better yet no supplies at all?

Blessed be,

Lisian.
lisian-in-secret

Re: Effective spells and rituals with simple or no supplies?

Postby Lillady » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Keep in mind not all spells require tools. Your simple belief and power within yourself can make things happen.
Lillady

Postby tigerlily » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:06 pm

I just picked up a book by Scott Cunningham called Earth, Air, Fire & Water More techniques of Natural Magic and it's all about natural and minimal tools! I'm still very new to Wicca, I rent and am a guardian to 5 kitties and dog so money is tight with me as well. I found this book perfect for this situation. Here is an example of tools used in one of the spells....House Plant Blessing -one potted house plant - one pencil or green pen - one 1 inch square piece of paper -a small amount of water. And there are many others in this book also using very little tools and some that require none at all!
Beauty does not indeed lie in things, but in the feeling that we give to them.
C.G Jung
tigerlily

Postby lisian-in-secret » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Lillady, that is very true, though at times I feel I don't have enough within me to do spells without required tools! Maybe it's a new Wiccan thing? Tigerlilly, I will be sure to check out that book! That example sounds wonderfully simple and doable. Wiccans on a budget unite. Haha. :-)
lisian-in-secret

Postby Xiao Rong » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Lisian, I would also suggest exploring kitchen witchcraft, if you like cooking or stuff like that. It's one of those things that you probably already have the tools for at home, and you most likely have a LOT of ingredients, like herbs, salt, and oil already at your disposal. It also has the advantage of being discreet, since no one but you has to know that you are working magical intent into your food or household chores!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Echo_of_shadows » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:26 am

I like to recommend "The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home" by David Harrington & Scott Cunningham. This book outlines ways to create sacred space in your home with simple rituals and few tools.
Echo_of_shadows
Ƴσʋ ∂σи'т αℓωαʏƨ κиσω ωнɛяɛ ʏσʋ ƨтαи∂ | 'Ƭιℓ ʏσʋ κиσω тнαт ʏσʋ ωσи'т яʋи αωαʏ -Ƨℓιρκиσт
Echo_of_shadows

Postby LadyCoyote » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:01 pm

Ultimately as everyone is saying you can work rituals into anything. Having a spiritual life means finding meaning in everything you do. If you can look at an enchilada you make as something that represents layers, then finding certain colored food to put in them then you are working with color magic as well as symbolism. Because layers could mean protection. Expensive tools aren't needed for wicca. It's nature based anyway, and nature is everywhere, and cheaper than a wand and altar set you could buy.
LadyCoyote

Postby BabyBear » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:47 pm

i find the best spells are the simplest so i have alot of them in my bos, my online bos has a few also
but i have to agree with what the others have said you can turn anything into a simple ritual and you can make big rituals that are complicated into simple ones that work for you
also i dont use any tool and ik of a lot of people who dont either, just use what you have and what you think works best for you
BabyBear

Location: Waycross/Blackshear, GA native currently living in Glen St. Marry, FL

Postby YanaKhan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:46 am

I would recommend candle magick too. It's simple and doesn't require many tools. A simple white candle can be used in most rituals. You can also use herbs from your kitchen in candle magick. Like BabyBear, I like simple rituals that don't require many tools and expensive things.
When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!
No battle is over until I win!
"Imagination creates reality". Richard Wagner
YanaKhan

Postby lisian-in-secret » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:11 pm

I couldn't thank you guys enough for all the replies. Hmm kitchen magic actually seems perfect. How does it work? Is it still effective? I'll have to research this one!!!

Blessed be :-)
lisian-in-secret

Postby Xiao Rong » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:16 am

I have had a lot of good results with kitchen magic. You can read more about the threads in our Kitchen Magick subforum. There's a lot of stuff that falls under the umbrella of kitchen witchcraft, such as cooking magical recipes, doing your chores with magical intention (e.g. working in a magical cleansing while you're sweeping), making oils, even making an altar in the kitchen. You are less likely to use formal ritual tools; instead, many kitchen witches substitute a chef's knife for an athame, a wooden spoon for a wand, a pot for a cauldron, etc. So to the casual observer, you might just look like you're making soup, but they don't realize that you are stirring the soup sunwise and adding a few choice herbs for healing properties. As many people have said, magic and witchcraft doesn't require many fancy tools -- just a bit of creativity and the willingness and intention to do magic. Kitchen witchcraft is simply taking many of the things that you already do, and with a little creativity, giving it a little magical "oomph".

(I've wanted to write an introduction to Kitchen Witchcraft article for a while ... might try to do that soon!)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MsMollimizz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Here I go again !
For all those on strict budget my recommend doing online surveys about
stuff you buy, things people in household are doing, vacations...etc
I average at least $20/mo and sometimes its $40, keeps me in books
and stones I'm getting at esty.com for crystal grids...etc. Can't hurt
just to check out. If interested pm me.
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
MsMollimizz

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:22 am

lisian-in-secret wrote:As I've been researching for certain spells, so many of them are so elaborate and require a lot of things... Do any of you have or know of any spells that may require simple things like olive oil or salt, or better yet no supplies at all? .

Responding to an old topic for future readers who may have the same question:

For spells using few materials see simple-spells-t36682.html

RITUAL FOR CRAMPED SPACE
for when you are pinched for everything

When your practice is confined to a small working space & you have nothing at all to use for your ritual, or you just like simplicity, use gestures to express your intent. No tools or candles, no water or incense is used, but all the steps will be carried out by intention through gestures.

Stand where the center of the circle would be, facing east (where the sun rises)

- Ground by passing the flat of your hand from crown-to-crotch, as you imagine the vertical axis along your spine descending into the Earth & upwards to the sky, as high as it is low.
- Center by tracing an X on your middle as you imagine the 4-Ways :serpentrune: intersection.
- Cleanse yourself and your aura with the see-hear-speak no evil hand gestures by placing the hands over the eyes, ears and mouth saying: "I see no evil. I hear no evil. I speak no evil. All about and within me is harmony." Breathe deeply & let that sink in.
- Raise power by swinging your arms forward and back for a minute to pump up some juice.

- Charge sacred space by turning a slow, deosil -> circle as you point your index & middle fingers and your mighty witch's gaze to direct your energy to the circle's boundary. Draw forth the power & push it through your hand. This energy passes right through furniture to make a sphere around you once you've gone all the way around. You might say, "Round and round and round about. All good in & all bad out! As I turn the circle's cast, a place between and holding fast."

- To call the quarters (I.e., square the circle & anchor it into the physical realm) remain in the center & turn to each quarter in sequence from least to most dense. Use a gesture of hand-to-heart and a respectful nod to each quarter. (See the elemental hand signs listed below.) Starting at (E)ast: "I call Air for power to Know. (S) I call Fire for power to Go, (W) I call Water for power to flow. (N) I call Earth for power to grow. (Center) I call Ether to make it so. As above, so below."

You now stand at the cross-roads, cleansed, centered, balanced and at peace with the three realms: celestial, mundane, under-world. You are ready to address your Deity and state your purpose.

- Welcoming your deities is quite personal, and the words should come from the heart. Greet and welcome them by name or title. Hand-to-heart gestures can express the feeling, with a deep bow from the waist to show respect. If you aren't working with a deity, then bow to Nature's Creative Force. Reverent silence is OK too.

- Cone of Power - You can slip right into meditation here, divination or spell work you want to do. No spell materials are needed. You can raise, program & charge the Circle's Cone of Power itself to carry your intention. You can do this by imagining the Circle as a blue mist rising from the Earth below your feet & spiraling around you. Imagine & feed your intent into the spiraling mist. Feel it in your gut & feed that into the mist. Speak your intent into the mist as a completed, present-tense event. When you know it IS thus/so, give thanks & then release the spiraling Cone of Power to fulfill the task: "Aid friends and vanquish foes. I command you now to GO." Push! Trust the system. Rest.

- offering: in place of the thanksgiving food offering, you pledge a simple service within your means (clean up after the dog, shovel snow, feed the birds, give a week of daily prayers & chants, meditation etc.). "I have no food or drink to hand, instead I offer what I can. I will X." You are honor-bound to keep a pledge made within Circle, so make it something you know you can complete within a week.

- closing: Finally you state the rite is completed, thank and farewell the Deities "Our rite is at an end; and may we always part as friends. Go if you must, stay if you will, with ever peace between us still."; and dismiss the Powers in reverse order, "Powers of North, West, South, East with my thanks depart in peace."

Standing in the center spot, ground any residual energy as a gift back into the Earth. Do this by raising your arms straight above your head, then slowly lower your arms out to the sides & straight down as you visualize the circle sinking into the earth. Ground yourself. And you're done.

Hand Gestures

Horned God - closed fist with pinkie & index fingers extended like horns, the thumb holding down the middle & ring fingers.

Goddess - a closed fist with the thumb inserted between index & middle finger.

Hand-to-heart - showing reverence & respect.

Bowing - respectful acknowledgment of great power, whereas kneeling is submission to the awesome greatness.

Earth Element - A closed fists.
Air Element - Open palms with spread fingers.
Water Element - Cupped palms turned upwards.
Fire Element - A triangle made with tented fingers.
Aether/Spirit - Touch 3rd eye

Athame - Extended parallel index & middle fingers together; reps dual polarity, double-edge.
Wand - Extended index finger alone.
Chalice - Cupped palm, same as Water.
Pentacle - Traced one-point-up in the air with finger(s).

Hault- flat open, extended palm signals pause/stop.
Summon - open palm drawn toward us as invitation.

Purify - Hands over eyes-ears-mouth shows that you see/hear/speak no evil and purifies the aura.

To aid meditation: Touch tips of thumb & index finger to aid concentration; Touch tips of thumb & middle finger to aid centering; touch tips of thumb & ring finger to aid grounding.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to Post a Spell or Ritual