*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Clocks

For conversations and questions about hauntings and spirit visitations. This is not the place to talk about demons. In fact, this whole board isn't the place for it. A Christian site is a better place for that.

Clocks

Postby Suhrt » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:32 am

Hi all!

I'm not sure if this should go here, or in the Beyond the Earth section. I believe it should go here, as in a way I think it's something paranormal, but I see in the Beyond the Earth there is stuff related to the universe and such. So I'm a bit unsure. But anyways, my topic is clocks (and watches).

All my life I've found both clocks and mirrors very intriguing. Like there is more to them than the evident, and affect (and/or get affected) by more things that we are actually aware of. So, I've always had this thought.

Regarding clocks, I didn't (and still don't) know much about it. I just thought it was weird, and interesting and felt a strong thing when a clock/watch stops. Like it means something.

All my life I thought clocks as a mechanical thing, that would just go on unhindered unless there was some logical failure (battery run out, or some part broken, etc). I held this belief until I went to the University. I am pursuing a physics major. So my first semester I had to write an essay about time. I can't even begin to say how many things I actually learned by writing this essay that really, really, really shocked me. For example, in space travel clocks will get affected and they won't mark time the same as on Earth, it will move slower (time dilation). This was a big surprise for me, and made my beliefs or "superstition" on clocks to become much stronger than ever.

Then, today I was reading an article on famous clocks, or historic clocks. It said how victorians used to stop clocks on the time a person died (will further read this tradition as I find it very interesting), and then it jumped to the fact that many clocks stop at the moment of a big event. In some cases it was just obvious it would stop (there was one watch mentioned which "survived" the Hiroshima bomb, and it stopped, but it was all fused, which evidently caused it to stop) but then there were others in which the reason seems, "explainable" like Casey Jones pocket watch which stopped at the moment of a train crash, a clock in the Titanic, a clock in Alfred P. Murrah which stopped at the moment of a terrorist attack, and Oppau's church clocks which all stopped at the same time, in which a nearby explosion occurred.

I have never ever read anything supernatural about clocks, so I don't know if I'm just imagining to much or there is something to it. What are your opinions?

There is also this Italian city, Catania in which clocks have this weird anomaly (so far I haven't read any "scientific" explanation to it) in which clocks jump ahead 5 (in other sources I've read it's up to 15 and 20) minutes everyday, and they seem to go faster than other clocks in the rest of the country/world.

So anyways, I wold like to know more about this if clocks do have "a thing".
Suhrt

Re: Clocks

Postby moonraingirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:02 am

I've heard about clocks stopping at the time when someone dies. I can't remember if it actually happened to someone I know but it's quite a common belief /superstition in my area.

Also the theory of relativity is very fascinating! I don't know much about it, only what I've learnt in high school and popular documentaries but I too find it very interesting as it really proves that things that seem exact and like there's no discussion about the facts, are relative, too.
It's very nicely demonstrated by the twins paradox when one twin stays on earth and the other travels in a spaceship in the speed of light. The one on earth will live and die of old age and the other one will still be young.
moonraingirl

Postby Bychan Wulf » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:05 am

There is such a mechanical clock and an icon with Virgin Mary and the baby,in my family.
Whenever somebody died,the clock stopped working and the icon fell down.(the icon did not fall of during earthquakes,including the one from '77 that was 7 on Richter)
These has been the anticipation of death in my family for more than 10 generations.

It's funny that the more you dig into science,the more obvious it becomes that there is "magic" in this world too. It just has different explanations and names :-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Bychan Wulf

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:22 am

I've always thought of time as fluid. Is the flow effected by matter density? I can't explain why I think of it thus, and as a kid I was fascinated, and a bit spooked, by clock mechanisms. Clocks are measuring an artificial, man-made concept which is at least based on observations of nature, I.e., Earth's solar orbit. Ive forgotten what siderial time is, but it's believed to be more accurate, but as compared to what, I don't know. This is how we count years, and break it down into days and hours, etc. But this is not "real time" nor even "time lines".

I've listened to videos with Dr Dan Burisch, who as a biologist, worked in S4 of Area 51. He worked with the ET JRod. He speaks of 4 times lines. Somewhere I read that in one time line, Hillary Clinton did become president the first time she ran, and I'm wondering if bleed through memories of that time line is why so many people were so shocked that she was not elected this time. We all thought she had been.

And there's the "Mandela Effect" which may be evidence of time line shifts. The title is from many people "remembering" that Mr. Mandela had died in prison. I'm one who recalls it that way, and so his release from prison was a surprise. The memories are historic events recalled as one way, such as the Tienamen Square Tank Boy being run over, but which did not happen. Little time line shift markers are familiar products changing name spellings, like Jiffy Peanut-butter to Jif, Oscar Meyer to Mayer.

And I recal a summer day in 1971 that myself and others commented had been dizzy with deja vu all day long. I've wondered if that day was a time line shift.

Oh my gosh, and mirrors! As a kid, I loved to stand between a triangle of three full length mirrors (at a local department store) and see myself reflected to infinity. Mentally "reflecting" intent and images is magic.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Suhrt » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:37 pm

To moonraingirl:

I never heard of clocks stopping by the death of someone but that sure is intriguing.

What area do you liv in moonraingirl? if I can ask...

Since you mention it, the twin paradox was confirmed when the International Space

Station was built and astronauts spent some time there. Of course, to a much smaller

scale, because they don't spend years and years up there at a time.

To Bychan Wulf:

THat sounds really intersting. I know what you mean about the icon falling down. In my

country there is this religion in which they keep a rooster icon. Every family has

atleast one (usually it is one per family member) and they only fall down to announce

death or an imminent danger. And they don't fall down because of an earthquake or

anything like that.

And yes, science does that. I don't believe they contradict each other like many people

do. But I do believe there are things that science will not ever be able to grasp

though. But sometimes it goes really far, in quantum mechanics there is such thing as

the free will of a particle.

To SpiritTalker:

Your post is really interesting. I know, what you say about clocks being artificial, and

that's why I thought they wouldn't be affected by physical (or "supernatural") forces,

but they actually do. When I wrote the essay I spoke of in my first post, I did a lot of

research. If you see time as something manmade, it is something that many people have

thought of. Actually there is this tribe from Brazil (I might be wrong, I don't remember

clearly) who don't have any concept of time at all. Their language has no reference to

time, and they don't keep track of time at all. The definition of time, to humans is

movement. How things move, and change, and don't stay the same. The Earth's solar orbit

is just a marker, a point of reference. So is the siderial time. It's a point of

reference to keep track of things. But neither is exactly exact. So that's why we have

leap years in which one day is added. WHat happens in reality is that there are extra

seconds, minutes, each time and then we just put them all together in an extra 24h. This

also happens to the lunar calendar in hinduism. But in this case, an entire month is

added every two or three years! But there is change, and time is the lengh through which

we measure this change and keep track of it. But there is something spiritual to it I

guess, and it can affect clocks, apparently. This is was intrigues me so much.

About you speak of time lines, I've experienced this. Even stuff related to Leonardo

DaVinci and many more things. I only knew this in terms of "reality glitch" though, and

I haven't found a satisfactory explanation for it either.

And about mirrors, funny, I used to do the same thing with two or three mirrors at my

granmother's house!
Suhrt

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:09 pm

Referring to people who have no concept of time except in terms of change, makes sense. It seems more realistic to me. For example, a baby grows through childhood, to youth, to adult, to middle age, to elder. That is time-as-change. But clocks with their never ending Seconds-minutes-hours, repeated over and over, does not change. If memory could be a clock, that would be something tangible.I think I need to eat something...I'm getting silly.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Bychan Wulf » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:22 pm

The baby that grows and changes into a adult,is a strong proof of time relativity. They all grow up and get through these changes in a different time spawn. Time passes differently for each one of them.
The hours- minutes-seconds cycle,are only used so that humans can use a reference.

Sorry for the mistakes,I'm a little dizzy...I will edit this in the morning
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Bychan Wulf

Postby moonraingirl » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:27 am

@Suhrt, I'm from Slovakia, Central Europe.

Yes, clocks with their mechanical ticks are an artificial concept.
The are several concepts of time flow.
People usually had a notion of cyclical time that is easily observed in nature. I'd say this one was most widely spread concept in history and animals have this one, too (day and night, hibernation in winter, birds migration, reproduction time, planets orbiting around stars)

Then there's linear time - growth, progress, it's a central idea of Abrahamic religions. There was creation of the world, and there will be the end. We go from point A to B. In nature we can observe this with evolution (though there are regressions when certain traits are lost, generally speaking, there is a progression to better adaptation all the time) . In universe there is expanding happening, objects moving away from each other.

I believe that both of these views are correct and have their place in philosophy. One can picture this as a spiral. Time is cyclical, but never returns to the same place and always moves forward.
moonraingirl

Postby Suhrt » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:40 am

Yes, I believe all your opinions are very good. But I think we are also digressing.

Yes, clocks are a mechanical thing, but they still seem to be influenced by stronger things. The question is, why? Like, the clock sent on a spaceship, or the clocks that stop. Why would this happen, if it was just a mere mechanical thing with no real meaning?

And well, the core of my curiosity, is not if they;re mechanical or not, it's just why this happens, if there is some spitirual knowledge on this... to be exact.
Suhrt

Postby moonraingirl » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:12 am

Suhrt wrote:Yes, clocks are a mechanical thing, but they still seem to be influenced by stronger things. The question is, why? Like, the clock sent on a spaceship, or the clocks that stop. Why would this happen, if it was just a mere mechanical thing with no real meaning?

Here's an explanation from mechanical point of view. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERgwVm9qWKA
With clocks stopping, I can't explain that.
moonraingirl

Postby Lady_Lilith » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:47 am

In Japanese culture, they're associated with death. So giving someone a clock or watch can be taboo. Time = death, I assume this is where they have developed this belief.
"Often I will spin a tale, never will I charge a fee. I'll amuse you an entire eve, but, alas, you won't remember me. What am I?" -Sloth
Lady_Lilith

Postby SpiritTalker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:16 pm

The observer affects the experiment. Perception adjusts reality. Science has found that the scientist him/herself actually impacts the physical and time interaction of electrons and particles and waves and all that stuff. It indicates that everything is connected, fluid energy. Reality is imaginary.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby SnowCat » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:06 pm

Time is not linear as it is often viewed. All time is now. Linearity has been assigned to assist with understanding.
Daughter of Sekhmet
SnowCat

Postby Suhrt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:08 am

I'm not really asking about the physical, scientific point of view of what a clock or time is. What I mean, what is the spiritual, or "supernatural" stuff related with clocks... not only time, but clocks, and watches... and why they apparently stop for "supernatural" reasons... so my questions are basically, something that does not lay inside the science realm.
Suhrt

Postby SpiritTalker » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:10 am

In the movie "Harvey", the poohka stops time by "taking away all objection." In the Old Testament story of Jericho the sun stood still - reminds me of Daylight Saving Time - and the blowing of Joshua's horn brought down the walls, like sound waves cracking the stones. I've read ghost stories that featured clocks stopping annually on the anniversary of some event or a death. In "Uri" (true story) by parapsychologist Andrija Puharich while researching Uri Geller, AP's watch stopped every time he was to stop and pray for peace, and would re-start to indicate all-clear.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Next

Return to Spirits, Ghosts, Paranormal Events