Bay cradle charm
to protect and bless a newborn
Timing: work on waxing moon, and on a Sunday.
You will need:
One 4" by 2" strip of cheesecloth
one embroidery needle
one skein of red embroidery thread
one gold or orange candle
matches or a lighter
nine bay leaves
1. Cast your circle
2. sew three red x's in circular position at one end of the strip of ceesecloth.
3. Fold the cheesecloth in half with the x's on the inside, and sew up two sides; then turn it right side outward.
4. Light the candle, saying:
'Lamp of the sun,
show your face,
to this child,
warm (his/her) face,
with your joy'
5. Place the bay leaves one by one into the scahet, saying:
'One to shine upon your face,
two to keep you in good grace,
three to make your heart to sing,
four good fortune so to bring,
five for strength in any danger,
six for kindness from a stranger,
seven for a good wisdom's crown,
eight for gathering high renown,
nine by which this spell is bound'
6. Sew up the remaining side, and attach to the baby's sleeping place.
A seasoned Green Witch am I, With plant wisdom and magic to share.
A child of the flowers am I, With blossoms budding from my hair.
A friend of the Fairies am I, A crown of leaves and flowers I wear.
A daughter of the Earth am I, Walking Her ways with feet ever bare.
A sister of the waters am I, Flowing wild and free without a care.
At one with the blowing winds am I, Singing softly through the midnight air.
A keeper of the fire am I, Let me kindle your passions if you dare.
Connected in Spirit with You am I, Fused together as one in prayer.