*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Candles and Spells

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

Candles and Spells

Postby .xAlyssa. » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:45 pm

I just wanted to know... What do the colours of the candles mean? Can we just use any candles when doing a spell? When lighting a candle for a spell, do we have to wait for it to go out or finish before it can actually work? I know its a lot of questions but im just curious... Thanks. :]
~Alyssa
.xAlyssa.

Postby .xAlyssa. » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Okay thanks a lot! :] It really helped.
~Alyssa
.xAlyssa.

Postby WitchyLady506 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:54 pm

This question has been asked a few times, so look around a little bit, especially in the witch school area to find more info.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
WitchyLady506

Postby shadowx » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:51 pm

I will go against Earth wolf.

The candles act only as a point of focus, allowing your mind to concentrate on the silence and peace, allowing you to focus on the energy you need to raise rather than the knocks from downstairs, or the car outside etc....

They carry no power, they are merely string encased in wax infused with petroleum or some other flammable liquid. The flame is nothing more than a gas made of carbon atoms glowing orange hot from an exothermic reaction whereby oxygen is fused with carbon and hydrogen atoms.

Nothing more.

The power comes from you.

The colours also have no affect or power. All they do is tune your mind in. You see pink and red you think love and passion. you THINK it, hence you FEEL it, and what you feel goes into your magick, thus you would raise loving, passionate energy. Black feels secretive, dark, possibly with negative feelings. Hence using a black candle you would raise energy pertaining to negativity, protection, removal etc...

The key here is that the colour does naff all, it is your mind that does it all. The colour just tells your mind what to do, if you can get that feeling of protection without the candle then you can quite easily raise the same protective energy as someone using candles.
shadowx
Banned Member

Postby Peregrine » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Heh. I was about to say it but shadowx beat me to it, I see. I recall asking a few times about color and candles in the past. Similar answers had been given to me here as shadowx said... it's all personal.

Some people have said that they use black candles for invisibility spells. Others have said they use green candles for love, luck, money, and fertility spells in addition to healing spells as already mentioned. I like yellow to promote happiness and cheer along with healing (happy spirit, happy body). Orange works for me along these lines too, but also for courage and resilience if there are major changes going on in my life.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
Peregrine

Postby WitchyLady506 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:23 pm

I personally tend to only use black candles. I feel black and things like night are very comforting and since black is the combination of every colour than it can represent everything, especially power and more than anything, it's not the candle with power, for me it's the flame. It helps me to concentrate and focus, which is also the only reason I use candles, is to help me focus.

Like I said, this has been discussed a few times, with pretty much the same answers. But yeah, do what you feel makes sense to you. There is no right/wrong way.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
WitchyLady506

Re: Candles and Spells

Postby SpiritTalker » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:12 pm

Colors have various uses - not set in stone - for spells because the color trigger associations. Color lists vary by how detail minded a person wants to get. Some common associations are below & corresponds to chakras.

White - all purpose, truth, spirit contact
Black - protection, banishing
Purple - spirituality, higher-self
Blue, Royal blue - truth, fidelity, focusing in meditation; Turquoise - communication
Green - abundance, wealth, fertility, over-all well-being
Yellow - intellect, knowledge, intuition, psychism
Orange - energy, tenacity, strength, courage
Red, Magenta - power, passion, vitality, partnerships; Pink - self-confidence, friendship, peace

About spells:
. Learn to focus: gaze at a candle flame until it's all you're aware of. If you wool gather just return to the flame. Do a few minutes practice daily.
. Know your goal - to attract something, to repel something or to empower something
. Select materials that feel related to the goal by element, property, appearance, color, scent or symbolism
. Use wording in positive, present-tense (It-is & I-have), & don't say what you don't want
. Adding "for the good of everyone, so now it is done." can help avoid misfires
. Draw power on the breath from earth & sky into the gut, focus on goal & as you exhale push energy out your hands into a spell

Select a candle of the size you want to give the desired burn-time. Birthday candle-10 minutes, chime-90 minutes, 6" taper-6 hours (1-hour per inch, cut long tapers in half), tea lites vary 2 to 8 hours, votives 10 to 15 hours, vigil candles 5 to 7 days. A spell candle should be allowed to burn completely, & 7-segment spell candles burn one segment daily & the last segment burns completely on the last day. Thus it’s OK to snuff a candle and re-light it to continue at a later time.

Preparing the candle: taper candles - Etch signs, names, dates before applying oil. Then dab five spots :-: of oil in your palm and roll the candle between your oiled hands (or dab :-: on top of a tea light) as you state your intent thrice. The 5 dots represent the 5 elements - air, fire, water, earth, aether. The oil seals the energy of the intention to the candle. Stand the candle in it's holder & place your hands around it. Focus your intense witchy gaze on the un-lit candle. Deep breathe & focus; exhale to push the fire in the belly into the candle to set your intention. If you add herbs or any stones they should be similarly charged before being placed with the charged candle. You're good to go.

The spell: light the wick & sit quietly while focussing your gaze on the flame for a few minutes until you are aware only of the flame; know in your gut that the spell is already fulfilled upon the Ethers. This is the heart of the spell & uses the witch-power "to know" a thing is so. (Knowing is like a hunch). You don't need to visualize when you know. Witch powers are to-know, to-will, to-dare, to-be-silent. Think it. Feel it. You’ve said it.

Most spells let the candle burn completely while you do other things. Set it In a cauldron or bowl for safety. You might read the wax drippings before disposing of candle stubs in the trash.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick