*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

I AW A BPACA?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

I AW A BPACA?

Postby studentoftheseven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Greetings,
Can anyone here tell me what this is please? I found one in 1976 hanging on my door knob.
Thank you,
Studentoftheseven
Attachments
panorama-slang.jpg
Pendant
studentoftheseven

Re: I AW A BPACA?

Postby SpiritTalker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:20 pm

I haven't got a clue. A quick look under web images for secret society medallions turned up the same picture, with different lettering, & underneath was the heading "Knights Templar Abraxas Sigil for magical rite..." for sale on EBay. You might start searching Templars & Abraxas images. I looked up Wikipedia's text on Abraxas, which is worth a read & too long to copy here.

Apparently Abraxas was a supreme god form uniting all opposites. Just trying to think how one might apply that concept. ... Dissolve opposition? it's a talisman. It was worn by Templars as well as Catholic nobility.

The flip side with Ouroboros is another universal cycle symbol. I have a hunch the letters represent 365, indicating a year, or some such cycle. The significance on a talisman?!? Meh. Well, there's a rustic tradition of renewing talismanic blessings annually.

Can't find anything with the weird lettering except a coin collectors catalog, in Dutch. Oye.

A little more looking around on YouTube related the Abraxas to Mithras...a whole other tangent.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby sevensons » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Its spell seems to penetrate you need to combat it. creativity of such an item is very black magic.
sevensons

Postby Corbin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:48 am

The writing is Greek. ΑΒΡΑΞΑΣ is abraxas, a derivative?

Oroborous fits for a protective amulet. Looks like that cocky little figure is indeed Abraxas.

(Link)https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/gnosticwarrior.com/abraxas.html/amp

Hope that helps.
Corbin

Postby SpiritTalker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Well that was interesting to me too. So it seems to be a protective talisman worn by initiates of the pagan mysteries, something like a X'n might wear a crucifix or saints medal?
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby studentoftheseven » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks Spirit Talker, you started me on hours of research last night. And thanks to Corbin for the link.
So what I understand is the figure of Abraxas is only a represenration of the unknowable, and unimaginable God. Which makes me wonder how much of the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics were a "representation" of history rather than actual depictions. Akhenaten for instance.
The three letters IAW are a tetragramation of the unspeakable, or unpronouncable name of God.
That's been bothering me for 40 years.
Cheers
studentoftheseven

Postby barker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:32 pm

I can feel it knowing me as insane (albeit "normal enough").
barker

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick