*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

I AW A BPACA?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

I AW A BPACA?

Postby studentoftheseven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Greetings,
Can anyone here tell me what this is please? I found one in 1976 hanging on my door knob.
Thank you,
Studentoftheseven
Attachments
panorama-slang.jpg
Pendant
studentoftheseven

Re: I AW A BPACA?

Postby SpiritTalker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:20 pm

I haven't got a clue. A quick look under web images for secret society medallions turned up the same picture, with different lettering, & underneath was the heading "Knights Templar Abraxas Sigil for magical rite..." for sale on EBay. You might start searching Templars & Abraxas images. I looked up Wikipedia's text on Abraxas, which is worth a read & too long to copy here.

Apparently Abraxas was a supreme god form uniting all opposites. Just trying to think how one might apply that concept. ... Dissolve opposition? it's a talisman. It was worn by Templars as well as Catholic nobility.

The flip side with Ouroboros is another universal cycle symbol. I have a hunch the letters represent 365, indicating a year, or some such cycle. The significance on a talisman?!? Meh. Well, there's a rustic tradition of renewing talismanic blessings annually.

Can't find anything with the weird lettering except a coin collectors catalog, in Dutch. Oye.

A little more looking around on YouTube related the Abraxas to Mithras...a whole other tangent.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby sevensons » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Its spell seems to penetrate you need to combat it. creativity of such an item is very black magic.
Greetings all pleasure is all blessing.
sevensons

Postby Corbin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:48 am

The writing is Greek. ΑΒΡΑΞΑΣ is abraxas, a derivative?

Oroborous fits for a protective amulet. Looks like that cocky little figure is indeed Abraxas.

(Link)https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/gnosticwarrior.com/abraxas.html/amp

Hope that helps.
Corbin

Postby SpiritTalker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Well that was interesting to me too. So it seems to be a protective talisman worn by initiates of the pagan mysteries, something like a X'n might wear a crucifix or saints medal?
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby studentoftheseven » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks Spirit Talker, you started me on hours of research last night. And thanks to Corbin for the link.
So what I understand is the figure of Abraxas is only a represenration of the unknowable, and unimaginable God. Which makes me wonder how much of the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics were a "representation" of history rather than actual depictions. Akhenaten for instance.
The three letters IAW are a tetragramation of the unspeakable, or unpronouncable name of God.
That's been bothering me for 40 years.
Cheers
studentoftheseven

Postby barker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:32 pm

I can feel it knowing me as insane (albeit "normal enough").
barker

Postby firebirdflys » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:10 am

This is interesting, the I AM is "I AW"? Kinda sounds like Om in in a sense.
Have heard of the abraxas but not looked into it much. Thank for the topic.
Don't feel that it is bad or "black" at all.
Bb, FF
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick